Are there any real whitetail trohpy hunters left !

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
rthomas4

Re: Are there any real whitetail trohpy hunters left !

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:34 pm

Shaman, you reinforced my point. As hunters, no one has the right to claim that their way is superior to any other person's method. Like I stated we are all members of the brotherhood of hunters. I too only have to walk less than 50 yards to two of my stands, and could actually open my kitchen window and shoot deer and turkeys in my front yard at times. When I was a kid, there wasn't a deer withing 5 miles of my house. I've been back here on the family land now for eleven years and have been planting food plots, improving habitat, and killing deer that get bigger and better every year...........and most of those are does! I live in a state where I can legally, by killing only one buck per day of the season, along with using my 4 doe tags, and killing two does per doe day, actually kill 172 deer per season. I have had seasons where I killed twenty or more, but these days I usually end up with 6 or 7, and my step-grandson (he's 16 and I've raised him since he was 3 months old) usually kills 1 or 2. I donate venison to several people, and the majority of meat we eat is venison or some other wild game. All of my hunting is on private land, either my own, or my hunting club's leased and privately owned land, with the occasional trip to a private plantation or two when we are invited as guests. I've never hunted high fence, and the only public land I've ever hunted was the Federal WMA outside of Savannah, once. I feel lucky to have my own land where I've busted my ass to develop my herd, and am thankful I don't have to compete for hunting spots on public lands. For those folks who don't have the opportunity to hunt private lands, I offer both my condolences and my congratulations for their tenacity and skill at being able to hunt successfully. I certainly don't condemn them.........or the high fence hunters for taking advantage of whatever options they may be limited to; and by the same token I don't expect them to condemn my methods; which once again, was the point of my reply to the OP in this thread.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

tomtana59911

Postby tomtana59911 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:00 pm

msbadger wrote:
I love the fact that I get to hunt giant wild bucks that simply have never been seen or captured on film or havnt been filmed more than brad pitt I tried hunting the midwest (wisconson) just wasnt for me.Although it was kinda nice walking in 400 yards to a stand instead of 1 mile in the dark in grizzly country with a stand on your back.

That is great that you get to hunt like that and you've taken mature buck...more power to you I sincerely mean that... What is sad in your case, is that you couldn't have a discussion about the thrill of hunting non pressured deep woods mature buck ...without back handing other hunters that hunt differently than you ...with an entirely different set of challenges...

Ms badger,didnt mean to backhand anyone,just cant figure out where the advantages for the hunter stops and when is it not hunting any more.food plots,bait stations,carbon bows,inline muzzle loaders,online trail cameras and now I even hear about remote guns in high fenced areas !

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:13 pm

shaman wrote:MsBadger: Yes indeed! A big +1 from me. And from me as well.

Tame? Well, heck! I guess I've been doing it all wrong. Kellory and I should just put away our guns and just walk up to them and put rhinestone dog collars on them and then ride them into town!!! I have a cousin who dropped from a tree and rode a buck...but he was intent on trying to kill it at the time.

Most importantly, I've been hunting this same 200 acres since 2001. I hunt the great-great-grandsons of the deer I hunted back then. I've watched a whole herd slowly grow from a single stray doe with a late-season fawn. My sons grew up hunting these deer and stewardship of the land and the deer will pass to them when I'm gone. Now, you can talk yourself blue about how hunting in some public wilderness is superior all you want, but I will be out tonight at the Thoughtful Spot sipping a scotch at sundown, listening to #3 son play the banjo, and watching the deer munching my dandelions , and I would say that sure beats watching TV. Hoist one for me. I don't think I have every played harmonica with banjo, that might be a treat.

BTW: There are farms on 2 sides of me up for sale, if'n any of you are interested.
Right after I win the lottery.... ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:11 pm

tomtana59911 wrote:
msbadger wrote:
I love the fact that I get to hunt giant wild bucks that simply have never been seen or captured on film or havnt been filmed more than brad pitt I tried hunting the midwest (wisconson) just wasnt for me.Although it was kinda nice walking in 400 yards to a stand instead of 1 mile in the dark in grizzly country with a stand on your back.

That is great that you get to hunt like that and you've taken mature buck...more power to you I sincerely mean that... What is sad in your case, is that you couldn't have a discussion about the thrill of hunting non pressured deep woods mature buck ...without back handing other hunters that hunt differently than you ...with an entirely different set of challenges...

Ms badger,didnt mean to backhand anyone,just cant figure out where the advantages for the hunter stops and when is it not hunting any more.food plots,bait stations,carbon bows,inline muzzle loaders,online trail cameras and now I even hear about remote guns in high fenced areas !

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6092

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9038

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5425

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30081

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28501

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28331

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27541 trophy hunting

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2141

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25800 what is your tech level?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9037 your first deer?

tomtana59911, read a few of these, then ask where the hunters are.
There are more than 10,000 hunters on this site, you just happened to hit the lull (slowest time of the year) and your first post was akin to walking into church during Sunday service, and asking in a loud voice, "Where do they keep the whores?" Of course it had backhanded overtones.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

MZS

Postby MZS » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:07 pm

There are different aspects to hunting. For me, it is part of my culture. I am not Native American, but when I was a kid my dad made a dollar an hour and we really needed the deer, rabbits, squirrels, and fish for food. I guess you could say my dad was a meat hunter, but it was out of necessity. So I have a respect for those that hunt for meat, provided they don't poach. Others hunt for sport, and not all of those are trophy hunters. And some only hunt trophies. Myself, I am into all of these aspects to some extent. I hunt for meat (to feed my hungry teenagers), but also hunt public land during the rut rattling and calling where some big bucks hang out, and also still hunt late season with a muzzleloader (by far the most enjoyable hunting).

tomtana59911

Postby tomtana59911 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Well I got 3 or 4 meaningfull comments before the attacks started was simply hoping to make contact with a few guys that share the same values as me.was also hoping to see some of thier bucks.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:17 pm

Oh I believe if that is all you wanted you would have used 1 of a million other ways to get that conversation started...lets not try to kid anyone.
I'm sorry if you think pointing out a disregard of other hunters approach to hunting makes you feel attacked...I for one had no intentions of doing that...though I did get lets say snarky for a moment. for me that was far from an attack...just my way of making observations.

See my thinking is any animal taken with purpose and a clean kill should be a trophy in all hunters eyes...and be it's someones choice to take a spike to an old 8 point on the decline and everything in between. If they filled their wants as a hunter and are happy...than I should be happy for them.
There is a world of difference from how I approach hunting to well.... a whole lot of ppl...but that doesn't make my way or the animals I take of greater or less value than theirs. In example I noticed you have a very nice long range rifle and scope set up you took your trophy with. How would you react to my saying where are the real hunters...ones that still use shot guns with bead sights and shoot their bows instinctive...How can he call that a trophy when he sat 3-4 hundred yrds away out of detection to shoot that buck...where as my deer need to be with in 115 yrds and able to spot me. That my hunting takes pure skill and he uses the crutch of a magnified devise...If you can't see the point in that scenario...then there is no reason to try to converse...By the way there really is no difference.... for each way of hunting takes a certain skill set that person needs to master.
Last edited by msbadger on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:11 am

I'll also point out the fact, that there is no method of hunting that doesn't use some form of attraction or bait. Hunting the rut, hunting a water hole, following a draw or ridge line, staking out a fence row or a hedgerow, using doe in heat scents, hunting natural browse areas, hunting over trails, hunting near bedding areas, sitting on a mountain or hill and glassing the bottoms or opposite hills where the deer lay up in the sun, or browse and eat, even following tracks in the snow to where they are bedded up or feeding.........it's all no different than putting out corn for bait or planting food plots for attraction and holding areas. Using grunt calls, doe bleats, and rattling, using decoys, it's all taking advantage of an attractant or a bait, whether it's food, water, or breeding, and it's using terrain, and geography in order to trap your quarry. It's all hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

hendo64

Postby hendo64 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm not sure who hates hunters more. PETA or other hunters. There is nothing but hate between different hunting styles. If we as hunters don't learn to stand together it will be easier and easier for anti-hunters to tear hunting apart. By the way good sir, Midwest deer are just as wild as anything you hunt out there. Food plots provide food, not "tame" them LOL.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:36 am

Thank you, hendo64, again an echo of my original point!!!!!!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions