baking soda stickups

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Topdogg

baking soda stickups

Postby Topdogg » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Do u guys think the baking soda stickups for the fridge would be ok to put in my plastic tote with my hunting clothes?

kellory

Re: baking soda stickups

Postby kellory » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Topdogg wrote:Do u guys think the baking soda stickups for the fridge would be ok to put in my plastic tote with my hunting clothes?

I don't know, I never thought of those. Do they have any scent to them, of their own? If no scent, they should work OK. I use a sock full of baking soda, inside another sock.(tied of) I also sprinkle some between layers. It just shakes out, when you need them.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Topdogg

Postby Topdogg » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:30 pm

Ok....that is probably way cheaper

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:57 am

I'd have to believe that the plastic container for the stick-up would contaminate your clothes with the smell of plastic. I use dryer sheets that have the fall forest scent, and the Hunter's Specialties Pine scented wafers, since my still hunting is done in the middle of a pine plantation.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:22 am

I use liberal amounts of sodium bicarb. As I load my clothes into garbage bags or bins, I throw in a pretty hefty amount of baking soda and make sure it gets well into the fibers. Over time, it filters down into the bottom of the container, and I just pour it out and re-use it. The floor at deer camp gets pretty full of it over season, but that also works to keep the musty smells down.

My advice is that it won't hurt to go hog wild. When I pull my orange clown suit out of storage, there is a major cloud of bicarb . You could shake the coat and bibs for a minute and it would still be producing powder. It does not hurt anything.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:34 pm

My freezer went out.
I lost 80# of deer, hog, fish and bait.
I tried using one of them to get the smell out.......it hasnt worked :lol:

I used to do what Shaman does.
I now just wash my clothes, hang them outside to dry (we have TONS of oaks), throw a handful of oak leaves in the bag (a plastic bag) with my clothes once they are dry
Come the morning I smell like a Live Oak.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:18 am

Ah! However, now we're talking a different strategy. Baking soda is all about odor removal. You're talking cover scent. It's like the difference between using deodorant and cologne.

Your strategy may be just as effective. I know a lot of people who use whatever is local (cedar, pine, oak, etc.) to cover their scent. I just got into baking soda about 25 years ago, and it seemed to fix my problems immediately.

As to the stinky freezer, A pie pan filled with baking soda set inside the freezer will eventually get rid of the stink, but you may want to take everything out, wash the freezer down with a baking soda encrusted sponge, rinse and then throw everything back in. I do this ritual every winter I can. I take the venison for a walk on the back porch while it is -2F, clean and defrost all the freezers and then reload them. It's an all-day affair around our house I know you guys down in FL don't have that option.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:06 am

I'll try the pan thing.
I really should have bleached the freezer and put it in the sun for a month with the lid open. Its brutal.

I should elaborate on my hunting clothes process.
I wash the clothes with unscented detergent probably 2x a season, I also throw in a handful of baking soda.
Always line dry after a 10 minute stint in the dryer
Throughout the season I was almost after every w/e with just baking soda on quick wash.
Always go back in the plastic bags with the oak leaves.

What happened to me with using the baking soda IN the storage bags with my clothes was two-fold.
1) I was getting the stuff in my eyes. It ain't fun in the least. Even if I shook them good I would somehow get some in my eyes.
2), The deer smelled the baking soda (or liked to lick it, I wasnt sure). They'd come right up under my treestand and smell the tree, the ground etc.THey didn't spook, but what I think happened was that somehow (pick a reason) the did end up associating the baking soda with human and they avoided my treestand area's.

Anyways, so now I guess I have a 'blend' method; scent removal/natural scent cover.
And like mentioned....what works is all that matters.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

HuntingFool94

Postby HuntingFool94 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:08 am

I read an article about a hot box test with a German Shepard - 6 boxes, person sits in each one for 10 minutes - then sprayed himself heavily with scent blocker/remover and picked a box to sit in, dog was released and found him in 10 seconds.
Next test was same except he used cover scents (skunk, pine, earth, acorn, etc) - the acorn cover scent baffled the dog for 25 seconds (dog went past box he was in, sniffed all the boxes and came back to find him). the others were effective just not as effective as the acorn.
Granted that deer are not same as dog which is trained to find people. Deer are trained to avoid people, but seem to tolerate some human smell where human presence is common. I think baking soda is an odor remover like scent blocker/remover sprays but as soon as you start wearing clothes you start stinking again.
I prefer to wash clothes in scent remover detergent/baking soda - then when I am in field I just use cover scent - I buy the scent oils (acorn, pine, apple, corn) on ebay for a couple bucks for 2 to 4 oz - put some on a small cotton cloth and rub on boot tops and bottoms and lower pant legs. than clip cloth onto my stand - this seems to work well enough to keep the deer from being alarmed. I get busted at times when moving but they never seem to pick up my scent and I have had deer pass by downwind.
"don't stink, don't move, don't make noise"

Return to General Discussions