New Food plot

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
unclebuck

New Food plot

Postby unclebuck » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:34 pm

Im putting in my first food plot in the spring. Its only going to be about 1/4 acre, possibly a bit more. Its going to be in a small opening in the woods where I bow hunt. Im going to put in Frigid Forage Wild game Buffet because from what ive read it seems to do well in northern climates (im in Wisconsin) and is shade tolerant. Anyway... I'm going to be raking the area for the plot in a couple days and I was wondering if there is anything else I can do now in the fall to prepare the spot for the spring to kind of get a head start? Thanks for any help.

msbadger

Re: New Food plot

Postby msbadger » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:02 pm

Not sure what all is in that...but from the title braccs....and they are USUALLY only hit after a good frost sweetens them up...thus being a fall planting choice....also getting your PH up is a big factor in growth and attraction phosphorous for bulb type plants...nitrogen for the leafy green plants.... so in general...a soil test now......and lime regardless for that takes time to actually work
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Haha just realized...Fridgid forage is the brand name...lol

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Its a perenial clover blend along with some annual braccs to act as a cover during the first year.

SteveBartylla

Postby SteveBartylla » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Make sure to get a soils test, as odds are good it's too acidic. At the very least, pickup a pH test kit (Antler King makes one I use when I don't have time to wait for the soils test results). When applying lime, use pell lime at least for the first year. It costs more, but ag/field lime won't do any good the first year. Along with being faster acting, pell lime is more effectively absorbed and can be used at a rate of 1560 lbs for each ton of ag lime required.

Good luck

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:22 pm

So how has the food plot been coming along?...It's too bad the guys on here don't discuss food ploting too often...I just love planting plots..well planting any thing really...I just got my last plot for the summer done and mowed my clover for the second time...now I can sit back and plan the fall stuff...

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:39 am

I'm way behind on planting, due to all of the rain. I haven't been able to get the tractor out of the shed, much less into the plots. And the rain is still in the forecast.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:25 pm

RT...I've been hearing that a lot....I was lucky to get a very good over seeding of clover done back in April...walked it into some winter rye and beefed up two plots...then the rain just ruined the attempt to weed kill...so I disced...waited until rains let up and planted power plant in an upper plot...rain then flooded that...but it's trying here and there...may just disc in worst keep best and wait for turnips and WW...Next came the lower plots...rain made great weed growth and sponge sol...just got done...here are a few pics...

IMG_1101.JPG
IMG_1101.JPG (198.51 KiB) Viewed 2173 times

IMG_1104.JPG
IMG_1104.JPG (182.63 KiB) Viewed 2173 times

IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1109.JPG (240.08 KiB) Viewed 2173 times

IMAG0067.JPG
IMAG0067.JPG (204.09 KiB) Viewed 2173 times

ajkremer22

Postby ajkremer22 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Ms Badger

The last picture of your food plots...your clover looks great. Do you use herbicides (Arrest and Slay) to keep the grasses and weeds out? My brother and I have two food plots about1.5 acres and the grasses and weeds are relentless. Any help would be appreciated.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:53 pm

No I am just so cheap! and that is way over priced...so ....because I am a small plot food plotter I either mow before the weeds seed or top weed whack...some I actually hand weed...did that clover plot this morning..Now if the grasses got away from me I would put down a grass killer for legumes....I find with the rotational program I have all my plots in I keep a fairly good handle on weed growth...

I rotate annual plots that get weed sprayed 2 times before I plant...with the perennial plots every 3-4 years... this also helps with bugs and diseases...That said I have a wire worm infestation due to a screening of corn I've put in over the past few years....I planted 50#s on 1/2 acre...which is more than usual...do to the worms gutting the corn kernels... it looks like I planted 10#....VeryVery thin...now I will have to spray the ground next to that and the clover plot in the first pic as well to deter the spread...the corn will be rotated out to hemp next year and I will plant whips from my plum and quince to fill in the gaps between the pine hedge row
When food plotting ppl for get about bugs and disease wasting their time and $$$...everyone worries about weeds...but just like ag crops food plots need more than just weeding

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management