Finding bucks

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Randretti

Finding bucks

Postby Randretti » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:35 pm

Hello all, i am a newer hunter and trying to learn all i can about finding bucks. i bought a book on topo maps and read it thoroughly. i have never had success finding bucks on my property, i inadvertently caught a couple pictures of bucks but never "knew" where they would travel regularly. anyway after reading the topo book i was able to go right to a spot i had never been and set up my camera. i had a buck the very next time i checked the camera. it is a small little guy who is developing his antlers and is fun to watch. my question is: do all bucks, mainly mature ones travel on the same path? i have yet to see a mature guy and am wondering if most bucks travel the same paths. There are also plenty of does in my pics so maybe i havent found the Honey hole path yet. thanks for your consideration,

kellory

Re: Finding bucks

Postby kellory » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Randretti wrote:Hello all, i am a newer hunter and trying to learn all i can about finding bucks. i bought a book on topo maps and read it thoroughly. i have never had success finding bucks on my property, i inadvertently caught a couple pictures of bucks but never "knew" where they would travel regularly. anyway after reading the topo book i was able to go right to a spot i had never been and set up my camera. i had a buck the very next time i checked the camera. it is a small little guy who is developing his antlers and is fun to watch. my question is: do all bucks, mainly mature ones travel on the same path? i have yet to see a mature guy and am wondering if most bucks travel the same paths. There are also plenty of does in my pics so maybe i havent found the Honey hole path yet. thanks for your consideration,

Every buck and doe has a different idea of the best path, and the next thing to do. they are as different from each other, as people walking in a very large mall. they all have different goals in the same general area. If you want to hunt the bucks, you really need to watch the does. learn where they eat, where they sleep, and what draws are on the land.(apples, honeysuckle, persimmons, acorns, corn, water, ect)

Think about what a deer needs, and where they can find what they need. find the travel paths between these draws, and set up to hunt the does. Because, when the rut starts, the bucks will be searching for hot does. Some will be trailing does closely, some will follow their trails, and some will just travel down wind of pastures, and meeting places for does, scent checking as they pass. They do not need to approach very closely, just sniff the breeze. No matter how good you get at hunting does, the bucks will always be better. They have a very serious itch to scratch. So hunt the does, and the bucks will come to you.

I would highly suggest you learn about tracking, both to improve the chances of recovering a wounded or dead deer, but also to be able to understand why a deer was going where it was, when it was, and why it wanted to go there. The more you understand, the better hunter you will become.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Randretti

Postby Randretti » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Hey thanks Kellory, i will do that! It seems like i always see does but just havent been lucky enough to close the deal on a buck. I purchased a small plot of land 3 years ago, it is 45 acres and immediately cleared an acre for a plot. My brothers and i saw 20 something different does last year but no bucks on the plot. I think it is my fault cause i was in the woods too much and caused some pressure, this year i am gonna stay out a couple of months prior to season and hopefully those bucks will step out before dark! Thanks for your advice i will take it to heart.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:52 pm

That is sound advise he gave you ...and I'll add that you may not have pressured the property too much...especially if you still had doe during the day light hours...but you may not be hunting at the right hours...lots of times deer pattern us...and get use to the "orange army" coming out real early to leave between 9 and noon...only to return around 2-3 in the afternoon....The deer may be scent tracking your movements....you may think your hunting the wind..but once you've gotten up in a tree the thermals may be different than you thought...If ppl around you have been using scents wrong and you try the deer will peg you...in high pressure areas no scent or food scent is a good choice
Last edited by msbadger on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Randretti

Postby Randretti » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Hey thanks for the advice, i will watch the does and i'm gonna watch the wind as well. i hope this year i get that buck! gonna put my summer plot out next week and than plant again in the fall. I also am going to a wildlife nursery this fall to pick up my grafted trees. gonna put out pears, a couple apple, japanese persimmon, jujube and a few others. i figure after 2 years i will have lots of fruit on the ground as well as if i keep my plots going i should be able to keep the deer happy lol. i also won't shoot anything with less than 4 on one side. I know i only have 45 acres but there aren't any people around me who hunt so i'm keeping my fingers crossed! thanks for your help

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:31 pm

A quick word of advice. Don't get caught up in "Antler madness". It makes people.....strange. I have come across headless bucks in the woods, where the only thing taken, is the "trophy". There are few things that will get me as mad as the complete waste of that fine animal. :x
I hunt meat for my table, and anything left over gets fed to the dogs, and so far no one has ever come up with a good recipe for antler stew. If i had the room for processing, I would tan and reuse the hides. And yet, I have never had a mount done. Those bones are just the souvenirs of the journey, not the reason for the trip.

If it is your intention to hunt wall hangers, then please make sure the rest of the deer is never wasted. feed the hungry, give to the "Hunters Against Hunger" program, or many others like it. I was raised "waste not, want not", and it is my wish to pass on the traditions, the lore, the methods, and the love of the Great Outdoors, to those who follow.

Remember always, that you are a steward of land, and of the game, for generations to come. That Integrity, is doing the right thing, when no one is watching, and to pass on your love of the Hunt, to others. Take the time to teach the young what we do, and why we do it. (you might look up "truth hammer" in the search box). Enjoy the forum, and if you have questions, feel free to ask. There are many helpful souls on this forum, and with more than 10,000 members, some one will likely have your answers.

And above all, enjoy the hunt, and good luck this year. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:02 am

If you give me the size of your land, and the approximate location, I can probably estimate the number of bucks on it. The problem is, the older they get the fewer they become.

Do the big guys have regular paths? Well, yes and no. If you see a major deer highway in the woods in late Summer, that is probably does doing most of the work. The bucks, especially the mature ones, will be off on their own. As fall and the rut sets in, they will still be traveling somewhat tangentially to the bigger trails, but they tend to be attracted more to them. The big thing you have to remember is that bucks travel a lot more than doe. The big buck you see on your camera in early October may be miles away by the next day. They have a large home range.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Randretti

Postby Randretti » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Hey Guys yes thanks again for more advice i am soaking every bit of knowledge you lend. I don't shoot deer to just get antlers at all, in fact i have never shot a buck. i always eat every doe i have taken and i am super careful to shoot only when presented a humane kill shot, in fact i have shot several does and every one through the heart, the longest one has traveled has been 10 feet. i say all that because it is important to me to try not to wound an animal. I just have been recently looking at my hunting strategies and wanting to hunt a mature buck. last year i got a bear and here in south carolina you cannot shoot a buck during bear season in my zone. I had 2 beauties come in that were both great bucks and could not touch them so i let them walk but i did get the bear and got some of him left in the freezer. I also bought my land which is a total of 45 acres a couple years ago and i had a shot at a huge buck(for sc standards) last season late december but it was getting dark and i didnt want to violate the laws on shooting light. i am hoping to take a couple deer this year and hopefully one big mature buck. last year i saw lots of deer but didnt take a shot because i didnt need any meat. thanks again for all the advice i have no pride in the matter so i just wanna learn, Randall

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Trail cams are great tools to use...IF YOUR NOT LIKE ME....and have a compulsion to check them once a week ...lol..... they give you a great idea of times of day the deer are traveling...I'm switching to blk outs and the new cam has had two different doe bed right infront of it...great to see just how long they will bed in any given spot before moving on and how close to any predawn movements I may make to a stand...in my case for one hour and just before I'd be getting out to the area, to wait for daylight
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Randretti

Postby Randretti » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:17 am

Yes i do love trail cams and i try to let them go for a couple of weeks. i bought the truth cam 46 ultra last year and it works great! i have also found that Black Magic in front of it is the best thing in this area to get their attention. i have 2 corn feeders and i have put out mineral licks etc etc but the black magic is ridiculous at least through the summer months. i have a couple other cameras that are not awesome LOL. My brothers and i cleared an acre and a half last year and put Pennington Feeding Frenzy in the ground it literally lasted from august until this may. the deer were all over it. Best stuff i have used so we are planning to do it again in august. We are not gonna go in the woods this year when august 1st rolls around as our season starts september15 for bow. we thought that we would just leave it alone until than so i will let ya know how that goes. on your trail cam blackouts i was looking at those so i am anxious to see how they do. i need more cams as i only have the one that is consistent. Thanks again

Next

Return to General Discussions