DEERPOTION

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
droptinehunter1

DEERPOTION

Postby droptinehunter1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:45 am

I heard about this stuff last year from a friend and tried it . It was unbelievable how the deer came in,, even with standing corn around. It smells super sweet and a quart will treat 800 lbs. of shelled corn. Anybody else tried it ???

shaman

Re: DEERPOTION

Postby shaman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:09 pm

Wow! 2 posts, both about the same product. This looks like unpaid advertising to me.

BTW: molasses works good too.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

droptinehunter1

Postby droptinehunter1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Just asking about a product and if anyone else had tried it.. I have not seen DEERPOTION advertised here or anywhere,, I see you are an advertised Stump Sitter from the Pro Staff of KY. What is that all about?

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:57 pm

droptinehunter1 wrote:Just asking about a product and if anyone else had tried it.. I have not seen DEERPOTION advertised here or anywhere,, I see you are an advertised Stump Sitter from the Pro Staff of KY. What is that all about?

That means he is a MOD on this site, and every time you post that product name, it creates a Google hit, which increases their rating, and improves their advertising. We got SLAMMED by power spammers last year, and they now take any kind of spam as a serious insult to the site. And doubt? take a look at the crossbow forum. last time I looked at it, it was still messed up. If you wish to do a review of some product, look near the bottom of the front page. There are places for reviews of gear, weapons, and products.
We also get a lot of "One time wonders" who become members, just long enough to promote a product on this site, drop product links (google rating) and act like that product is the vest thing since sliced bread. You gave that appearance, weather or not it is true. I would suggest you hold off on product endorsements, until people get to know you a bit. to better gauge if it is a genuine opinion, or perhaps you are pushing your own product. (free/stolen advertising.)
If you DO want to advertise, you must go though Big Ben first. You can reach him here. E-mail me at Ben.Sobieck@fwmedia.com.

Now, enjoy the forum. There are a great many helpful friendly people here, and a VAST knowledge base. Feel free to ask questions of anyone, and there is a search box at the top of each forum for THAT forum. If I can assist you, let me know. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:34 am

Thanks Kellory. I was out at Black Hole Institute's facilities field testing improvements to the ANTI-TELEPATHY HAT (still only $19.95) and could not get back to this sooner.

Yes, what Kellory said is essentially true. We get a little jumpy around here about folks that make only 1 or two posts, mention a product and don't really add to the conversation.

To get back to the original question, I haven't tried the product. In fact, I have never found an additive to corn to be necessary. On the other hand, I'm not real big on supplemental feeding in a place like Kentucky to begin with. I know a lot of people disagree. . .

oops. Scooter's telling me we have telemetry coming in from our field sensors. Gotta run. More later.

LATER:
Okay. I'm back.
I know a lot of KY guys like to do supplemental feeding. I've tried it myself. What I've found is that supplemental feeding works good only when there isn't much else to eat. Yes, you will draw deer. I have a neighbor who feeds. The deer do come. However, two things happen:
1) The deer don't utilize the feed when there is something better-- say like when the acorns are dropping,
2) His deer sightings and his hunting luck is not dramatically different than mine.

All in all he spends a lot of money and effort to fill his corn feeder. But the pay-off is not nearly as great as the investment. I spend my budget on low-cost solutions like strip-disking, edge-fethering, and the occasional food plot. I spend less money than he does, but still get as good or better results.

Now, to top that off (pardon the pun) we come to an enhancement to corn-- something that makes corn work better. Me? I say spend the money on some Round-up and some clover seed. Spend it on getting some plowing or bush-hogging.

If you're talking about another area of the country, say Texas, where food is hard to come by. Or if you're talking a mast-poor section of some other state, possibly. However, KY OH and IN generally have enough natural forage that it makes supplemental feeding a less-attractive alternative.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:03 am

My pleasure Shaman. droptinehunter1, , in the interest of full disclosure, I should mention, Shaman and I have discussed a joint venture product. (details can be found here... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25821&hilit=+true+kellory ) It is a good read, and may give you insight into some of the people here. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

droptinehunter1

Postby droptinehunter1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:12 am

I don't supplement feed.... The deer here have plenty of corn , soybeans etc....... I want them at MY corn pile and not in the cornfield or neighbors corn pile. I work all week and some weekends,,,, I want deer at my site when I can get there. My hunting time is limited.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:35 am

Then in that case, I would definitely take a different tack.

1) Check out this:http://fw.ky.gov/howto.asp . This will give you a lot of good ideas. There's a lot more you can do besides doing a corn pile. In fact, as I said in the earlier post, my next door neighbor has a huge feeder. I don't. We have more big bucks come by my place than his. A good number of the articles come from Zone 1's wildlife biologist. I know Wesley, and he did an assessment for me when I moved in. This is really good stuff.
2) Look seriously at simple, low-cost solutions. I've put in food plots using an old bedspring chained behind my riding lawnmower as a harrow. I hing-cut cedar trees-- they open up the forest floor to sunlight as well as provide cover . I bury a bag of rock salt in a couple of spots. These are the sort of things I would concentrate on.
3) Contact your zone's wildlife biologist and have him out for a free assessment.
4) Most importantly-- make your place as safe and attractive to deer. If your place is quieter and safer for the deer, they will run over to your property as soon as the shooting starts. Limit access. Stop riding dirt bikes and ATV's everywhere, etc.
5) Read my weblog -- see the link below. I've got gobs of stuff on there about how to do habitat improvement on a shoe-string.

If you took what you spent on DEERPOTION and spent it on a bag of clover seed you'd be ahead of the game.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:18 am

I've noticed that most additives have apple scent in them. Since I live in the swamp country of SC, apples are a strange smell and actually repel the deer. I plant food plots, and put out cob corn, in order to draw and hold the deer from the swamp and get them into areas where I can study them and pick and choose the ones I'd like to kill (I use a minimum of 4 trail cameras year 'round). I have yet to find any commercial product, C'Mere deer, Deer Caine, and the like that the deer in my part of the country are attracted to. If the acorns are falling, that's where they'll be, when the acorns aren't there, then the yellow decoy will get their attention; but the food plots will always attract the does, and where the girls are, you'll find the boys!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

droptinehunter1

Postby droptinehunter1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:02 pm

Deerpotion on my corn pile was cost effective. I still have some left over for this year. Clover is nearly everywhere here, that won't work ,, tried it. They come but not like with the corn pile . Southern Peas work best for a food plot here,,, but tilling, seed etc. is expensive., and they usually eat it up before gun season. The DEERPOTION doesn't smell like apple,,,,,, I am not sure what it smells like,,, but it smells supersweet. I fed about 250 lbs of corn for the season at a cost of about $50 and 1/3 quart of the DeerPotion,,,, less than 10 dollars and had more deer come in than ever before. Started feeding 2 weeks before season. Used many of the salt products out there in the past and had decent luck early in bow season ,,, but later traffic slowed to a crawl.

Next

Return to General Discussions