Countdown to season opener

rthomas4

Countdown to season opener

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:02 am

54 days and counting 'til the season opens on Thursday, August 15th. The TC Encore .308 is zeroed, and the shotguns are cleaned and ready. The dogs are set to go; but the swamp is full and some of the roads, trails, and bridges are washed out.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

mhouck06

Re: Countdown to season opener

Postby mhouck06 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:21 pm

That would be interesting hunting in august.. What are the temps like down there when the season opens?? Must be pretty darn hot

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:42 am

Some days the temps will push the upper 90's and lower 100's. But then again, by the end of the season in January, we'll still have days when the temps might be in the upper 80's and lower 90's. We've run the air conditioning on Christmas many, many years. Don't get me wrong, we might have an occasional day when the temps don't get above 40, but those aren't very common, until after deer season is over. When the season first opens on Aug. 15th. we usually will only run the dogs first thing in the morning, which means being in the swamp by 7:00, and out by noon. It's not until the end of September that we turn them loose again in the early afternoon. Then it's a late afternoon sit over a food plot with the rifle until dark (we can legally hunt from one hour before sun-up, 'til one hour after sun-down).
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:12 pm

Thirty five days and counting!!!!!!!!!

ripper7

Postby ripper7 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:12 am

I went out yesterday to do some scouting. I found some spots that look promising, saw a fawn with spots and heard some deer busting through the brush as moved through the area. Went to the range and shot the rifle using a new type of ammo (Winchester 130 gr sp) it is close enough to last year rounds that I do not think I need to adjust the zero .

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:29 am

I checked my trail camera pictures this morning. Several nice 8's a really nice 10, and a huge wide cow horn (he's definitely got to go), a bunch of spikes and a few forks.

ripper7

Postby ripper7 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:21 am

I have been toying with the idea of a camera but since I hunt public land I would not want that kind of investment to walk away.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:10 pm

just got back from my hunting property. Two trees I will need to deal with before hunting season, no trees down on my building (thank god) and my biggest problem appears to be metal thieves. They have badly damaged my car down there. Stripped it for parts, and even stolen several doors. What is left is just scrap metal, and i need to get a wrecker there to scrap it before they steal any more of it. :x I think I will HAVE to invest in cameras, but I haven't figured out where to plant the bodies yet.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:56 am

That's the advantage of having 'gators!!!!!!!!! Catch thieves, kill 'em, cut 'em up, and feed 'em to the 'gators. It's hard to locate 'gator sh*t in the swamp!!!!!!!!!

Return to South Carolina