Fishing

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Sailfish

Fishing

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:56 am

Took some pals down to the Keys this past week for some dolphin fishing.
We had fairly good weather, windy at times 2-4' seas, but manageable.
Did some wreck fishing too, flats for sharks, and just about anything we could do on the troll.
(sorry for the crappy photos I still use an old iPhone)

My boat and gear

Where we stayed

Dodged a few of these

Most days were like this:

And of course these brutal days

some fish

my biggest

Bad moment of the trip. I put a gaff in my wrist.. Popped out easily enough, pressure and ice was all that was needed.
Then I thought......just one inch more anteriorly......just remember whether hunting, fishing, be careful. Stupid things can and do happen, take your time, and DONT RUSH like I did.

Most interesting moment(s) of the trip(and a long read)

Everyday we would stop to snorkel and or spear fish. On reefs, wherever, multiple depths.

We go to this public reef about 5 miles offshore called Looe Key on the way back from a day of fishing.
There was a storm brewing and all the people (party boats, pvt boats etc) got out of the water. 2 of my pals felt safer in the water then on a boat with 6 lightning rods sticking 12' in the air. They swam about 100 yards to the deep part of the reef (about 25' +/-). Once the storm passed me and my other buddy got in the water (as well as the other boaters) and went to meet them.
We run into them swimming back.
Apparently while on the reef they had a close encounter w/2 5-6' bull sharks. in fact it was a 2' encounter. One buddy had to kick one away with his flipper. So we all decided to continue swimming back to that area to check it out (they/we didn't know it was bull's until I talked in more details later).
We swam with tarpon, looked at all the pretty fish etc but didn't see any more shark so we swam back to the boat. 2 got in the boat, me and another stayed in the water. Then 2 sharks swam between us, and then circled and came back behind my pal real close. I dove under to see what they were............2 lemons.
We've now encountered the most aggressive shark in the ocean and another in the top 10. We got some pics (hopefully I can post them when he sends them from the uw camera),and then got out of the water.
Let me say, I have swam, dove, in Florida, and the Florida keys my entire life, I have NEVER seen a shark that wasn't on the end of my hook...........ever. I was perplexed to say the least........very perplexed.
We pack up and leave and headed inshore to a shallow water island to hang out in the water with some other pals Tucher. Hornsby, and Morgan. Its a popular shallow water spot that all the boater meet at.
The four of us are kneeling in thigh deep water trying to keep our pals dry and out of the warm water when a daggum 6' nurse shark swims between us (upper left pic below)!!!! No fooling.
Now I am just beside myself as to the why's of all this. I'm thinking is one of my pals bleeding? WTH. Then it hit me WHAM!! I get back on my boat, open the fish boxes..........dang sure enough. Running in the big waves, all the fish sloppin around in the fish boxes knocked out the drain plug!!
Ha, so here we are in the ocean chumming with Bonita, Dolphin, and Amberjack blood.
(another tip to remember)
It is amazing what their noses can do.
I'll try to get the other pics posted soon.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

kellory

Re: Fishing

Postby kellory » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks for sharing, and glad you all were ok. That could have gotten a bit hairy. Did you gaff yourself before or after that bit of chumming? Sounds like you opened up a seafood buffet.

looks like a bunch of fun though. kellory.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Gaff was before shark encounters.

THis was the reef with the bull sharks in the deep water

Lemon sharks when we swam back to the shallow water

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 am

went for grouper yesterday.
Remnants of Chantal were supposed give t-storms etc but decent seas.
We encountered no storms or rain. BUT very windy 15KT, sloppy 2'ers from multi directions, an occasional 3-4 thrown in to toss us about the boat. One guy who proclaimed he never got seasick......................got seasick.
Headed in shore around 12.............got in and the seas turned almost flat :lol:
Mother nature can be cruel
No keeper grouper :( took home a few mango snapper.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:51 am

Just got back from a Keys trip with the family.
It was lobster season. A buddy was bringing a boat, I was just a passenger on the lobster hunt.
The hunt was a bust :(
Spent so much time in the water looking, I was pickled.

Did have good stuff with the family though.
Snorkled a reef called Coffins Patch. 7-18' deep.
We had a nice 7' nurse shark swim under us, and the kids didn't freak!!
My daughter came up and said "Daddy, that was sooooooooooo scary, but super neat!!!"
Then a sea turtle came by, and just like the movie Nemo, the kids got to swim down current with him! (although then we had to swim back :mrgreen: )

Did some night bridge fishing with my son. Boy has the golden touch. He's caught so many decent fish since he got his first rod last year ( I think he's going to believe fishing is easy; I might have to take him bow hunting this year LOL ) Caught some keeper snapper, before he crashed.

mango snapper

Saw this school of 100+ black tip circling round and round.

video
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bo44444 ... 1.mp4.html

The shiny one is a solid 6'er BIG tarpon

The tourist stuff down in Key West

We have a pic of the kids every year since they've been born with spongeman.
Spongeman is VERY old.
He is also starting to sag............doesn't look good for spongeman

Only lobster I got my hands on

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Very cool. Thanks for the update, and wish I lived closer than I do. Still... I have family down that way and one of these days, we're gonna have to meet up.;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:01 pm

And you know the promise I gave you.
At the very least its a long day on the water, at the best...........fish for dinner!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:26 am

Took the family and some friends scalloping Saturday.
Excellent amount of fun. Great thing for the kids.
We were in about 5.5-6' of water all day. Plenty easy for them to get down and fill their bags.
We did well. Got out limit home early ..........for once.
(only took me 4 hours to clean them all Image

Here are a couple pics.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:01 am

Hey Sailfish, great pictures! Looks like a wonderful trip. We're heading down to Florida in a few weeks, and plan to spend a couple days in Key West. Hopefully we can get some fishing in as well.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:46 am

Great to hear!

I love KW. Lots to see and do.
Day and night.
Irish Kevins for a song and a beer (guy plays irish music on his guitar and puts on quite an interactive show with the patrons)
Mallory Square at Sunset
Take a snorkle trip to a reef(if you really have the time take the boat to the Dry Tortugas!) if you don't have a boat.
Pepe's for breakfast. $$1/2
Hogfish Bar and Grill $$1/2 (its on Stock Island) for lunch or dinner. (not sure if you imbibe or not, but they also make the BEST margarita in KW)
Conch Republic $$1/2 is fun place to eat (its on the marina).
Blue Heaven $$$
If you venture up to Cudjoe Key there is a place called the square grouper $$$1/2 really good food.
I have a buddy who is a charter captain. If your interested in some serious Blue Water fishing.

Anyways, I could go on. Its your trip, have fun, if you have any questions........ping me.

BTW........there really is no beach in KW....not really.

Next

Return to Off Topic