safety harness

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Topdogg

safety harness

Postby Topdogg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:09 pm

My buddy helped me put up a hang on stand today and its way different than a ladder stand. I have 2 ladder stands and have never hunted out of a hang on, after we got the hang on put up, I sat in it and WOW...was I nervous. So I am going out to get a safety harness...which is the better one innyou guys opinion...tree spider or hunter safety systems. I know it will be a matter of opinion but just want some feedback...thx in advance

mhouck06

Re: safety harness

Postby mhouck06 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:02 am

Both are nice, but I personally like the HSS vests.. They function other than just the harness. Simple to use and hold up well.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:13 am

HSS is a good choice, from what I've read and heard. I use the harness that came with the climber I bought. I will check and see what label it carries. It works well, and is comfortable, though all black. By the way, how did you install the hang-on stand? On most trees, a climbing stand works really well for that. Just pull the hang-on up on a rope once you are up there, and you have a good safe work platform to hang and adjust the stand to your liking. Put the screw in steps in as you go down, or if you use climbing sticks, leave the lower set off, and bring it with you for hunting. That way, messing with your equipment, is much harder to do.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:16 am

I've never used a safety harness of any type. I refuse to use a climbing stand, and have never used a hang on type. I have three ladder stands, two tower stands, and an A-frame stand, along with a shooting house here on my place. All of our still hunting stands at the dog club or either ladder or tower blinds and a couple of shooting houses. I shoot sitting down when hunting with a rifle, and sometimes when dog hunting, if I'm not having to stand in water up to the top of my hip boots.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Topdogg

Postby Topdogg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:54 am

kellory wrote:HSS is a good choice, from what I've read and heard. I use the harness that came with the climber I bought. I will check and see what label it carries. It works well, and is comfortable, though all black. By the way, how did you install the hang-on stand? On most trees, a climbing stand works really well for that. Just pull the hang-on up on a rope once you are up there, and you have a good safe work platform to hang and adjust the stand to your liking. Put the screw in steps in as you go down, or if you use climbing sticks, leave the lower set off, and bring it with you for hunting. That way, messing with your equipment, is much harder to do.

My buddy had a climber with him when we hung the stand. I think it will be OK once I get used to it. Its almost 10 ft higher than my buddy stand, and no arm rest or shooting rail. Lol, ill just have to man up and get used to it. Going to get a HSS tomorrow

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:30 pm

I disagree. No matter how light or small it may be, it is not worth the risk if you are not feeling safe on it. It will effect your shot, it will effect your hunt, and there is always the possibility of falling and even death. Try a stand out at ground level. See if it will suit you or not. If you would feel safer with the shooting rail, get one with the rail. Or, use the top half of a climber as your rail, and you could skirt it for better concealment. Hunters die from falls, and even harnesses can kill in a short amount of time.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:47 pm

HSS vests are great! As mentioned, they provide security while adding pockets for gear. Mine is reversable so blaze orange ready for rifle season. You should never go up a tree without a safety harness regardless of height or style of stand. You may get away with it 100 times but eventually Murphyy's Law will come up and bite you. I'm glad to hear you are getting a restraint whichever it may be.

Also, don't worry about "manning up." Only hang and hunt stands in which you are comfortable. It wll add to the enjoyment of the hunt and increase you chances for success if you are not terrified or fidgetty from nervousness. I hang a lot of Comfort Zone lock-on stands which are affordable ($40-60) but very small. Nothing but a seat, half the size of your butt, and a platform barely big enough for my size 13 boots. I hang them as low as 8 ft or as high as 25' depending on what the situation calls for. I do not like heights but I have found that because I hang my stands in trees that offer a lot of cover, being surrounded by branches which I can prop feet and arms on or grasp when standing, etc. really helps my mental state not to mention the concealment from deer.

please check out www.deer30outdoors.com/treestand-placem ... -too-high/ for more, including the video of a hunt from a stand 8 ft off the ground.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:18 am

Every stand I hunt out of has shooting rails, and is covered with material. and all but two of them are big enough for two people to sit in comfortably. My tower blinds are about 4'x6', so there's plenty of room to maneuver around in them. We even have one at the dog club, that we call the "condo blind" It will easily handle 4 people, so each one can watch a different area of cover.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:55 am

I go all the way back to before there was a tree stand industry, and despite that I've always tried to keep myself tied off to the tree, no matter what. In 30+ years, I've seen way too many broken backs. Even though it's only 3/4 mile from the house to the stand, trying to make it just on my elbows is a daunting thought --enough to want to make all reasonable steps to protect against it. I've done 3/4 mile on my elbows, but it was in a cave and I was young and in perfect health.

Whatever you can find that is within your budget and weight range is going to be fine. My last one cost me all of $35. However, all I do is hunt out of ladder stands. If you're hunting out of a climber or hang-on, I would do everything I could to insure my safety.

I've had two treestand failures in my career. Neither resulted in serious injury. Nowadays, the overwhelming majority of accidents occur during ingress and egress. Remember that. There are a bunch of systems that keep you attached from the ground up to the blind. The cheapest is a length of climbing rope hung off the stand to which you attach a prussic knot and then hook into that.

I few years ago, I wrote a piece Treestands -- A Survivor Looks Back.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

MZS

Postby MZS » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Big Game Ez-On Basic Safety Harness is a good bet for both low price and quality. It is on my Amazon Wish List and I will be getting it for my son.

Depends on the stand. If you are only 6 ft up, a harness is really a bit silly. 12 ft up on a large platform and rails it is borderline. 16 ft up on a typical inexpensive ladder stand and I think you want a harness. A climber or hang on with no harness seems very risky. And you want a harness, not a rope, if the stand should somehow come down. Seems you might also want a climbing system too for your hang on if it is up at any height.

When moving my ladder stand I unexpectantly jumped down from the 4ft rung - that was enough to mess up my knee for over a year!

Next

Return to General Discussions