scent wafers and baking soda

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Topdogg

scent wafers and baking soda

Postby Topdogg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Which is better to use, baking soda or scent wafers in my hunting tote. Do any of you put baking soda in your tote and then use scent wafers once you put your hunting gear on. Or should I just put scent wafers in my tote. Just looking for advice instead of buying soooo much scentaway spray

kellory

Re: scent wafers and baking soda

Postby kellory » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:07 pm

My personal opinion is to be scent free, not cover scented. i use baking soda sprinkled between layers in totes, to absorb scent, and to use scent wafers on trees, and decoys. Any scent on me, good or bad, could draw unwanted attention.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:18 pm

I agree, baking soda is your best bet.. I use it for everything.
You are better off having no scent on yourself.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:18 am

Baking Soda.

Baking Soda -- The Shamanic Method

I don't claim to know what happens up a deer's nose, but I know what happens in mine. I can bet it is similar to yours. Ever worked with a guy that used cologne instead of bathing? We had a guy a few years ago, you could smell him 15 seconds before he showed up. You could smell him for half and hour after he left. You could smell the cologne, but you could also smell the pit stink. That's what cover scents do.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Topdogg

Postby Topdogg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:23 am

Ok....thanks for the responses...baking soda it is....only 81 days left to the season starts for me

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Actually, I use both. Baking soda for laundry, and scent wafers pinned to my cap when I'm in the woods. I use the pine scented wafers, since I still hunt in the middle of a pine plantation here on my property. Of course I do use unscented soap and shampoo, along with baking soda unscented deodorant.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to General Discussions