TV HUNTS - STAGED OR REAL ?

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
JPH

Re: TV HUNTS - STAGED OR REAL ?

Postby JPH » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:09 pm

rthomas4 wrote:...are you just an ass for the fun of it, are or you truly just that way??????????

Little bit of both I guess.

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:07 pm

rthomas4 wrote:Sorry, jph; but the page is not found. Considering that it's advertising (I assume from the page title) for a slaughter house; again I see that you like to take comments out of context and insinuate your own personal spin into the conversation. I specifically stated what I said as it pertains to hunting! Working on a slaughterhouse floor is a job, not hunting, thank you!
I have to ask, are you just an ass for the fun of it, are or you truly just that way??????????

I don't think JPH is an ass. He's just poking at us like I was poking at him and others. I think JPH is the prototype hunter who never grew out of the "color within the lines" stage of childhood. He simply needs to have others abide by his definition of what is "hunting", or else his panties get twisted in nine kinds of knots.

I personally love having him and others around to chide.
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:15 am

BigIron wrote:I think JPH is the prototype hunter who never grew out of the "color within the lines" stage of childhood. He simply needs to have others abide by his definition of what is "hunting", or else his panties get twisted in nine kinds of knots.

Thanks for the psychoanalysis. Personally I think rthomas4 is a little closer to the truth, but whatever.

Look, the guy said he wants to kill without all the sentimental BS. I even quoted him completely because I know how upset he gets if I don't. I went and found a slaughterhouse close to his home and he called me a naughty name. I thought he would thank me!

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:04 pm

There are two seasons on this forum!
1. Deer season
2. Insult & name calling season

Love them both!!!!!
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

HuntingFool94

Postby HuntingFool94 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:16 am

I have a friend with property in Brown Co IL - hunts on this property have been on shows, the land is free range with no fences. The land is QDM and much time is spent scouting - many thousands of dollars invested into food plots (cannot bait in IL or use minerals), trail cameras, tree stands. I have hunted this property in late season doe only and literally seen hundreds of deer going by during a day and seen many bucks in the 160+ class. Of course this property is surrounded by other QDM properties and not state / federal land - so essentially everyone in the area is hunting for trophy bucks too which allows all the bucks to grow up enough to be trophies.
So if you have the time (scouting, watching, tracking) and money (land cost and food plots and equipment) and a large enough property and/or neighbors that let bucks grow big - you too can shoot trophy deer like the TV folks do.
Also realize that the TV hunters do nothing but hunt - that is their job, so they get very good at analyzing property and scouting and knowing where big deer are and how to get into those areas and kill the deer. They also get invited to hunt on high density managed deer properties so their odds are much better than having to hunt on public land. I think if they had to hunt on public land they would still fare better due to their skills than most "weekend" hunters.
"don't stink, don't move, don't make noise"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri May 31, 2013 8:53 pm

Personally, I don't get the point of hunting on ground where you see deer all day and then get to passover "lesser" deer all day until a "shooter" comes by and then thinking that you've done something great.

What makes big bucks so special is that they're RARE. When they're no longer rare, then what's the big deal?

Too much of the QDM and especially TDM is essentially "affirmative action" for deer. They don't get big because they earned it, they got big because they were given a pass, and more than once.

It's like going on a fishing trip where you have to learn the water, feeding patterns and other factors as opposed to going to a restaurant and picking one out of the tank.

Oh, I get the point of it being your land and your management plan and all, but really...do you want to be a deer farmer or a deer HUNTER?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Dakota79

Postby Dakota79 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:52 pm

bmorris wrote:By "real" I mean hunting as you and I experience when we go hunting. That's what I called hunting with all that goes with it.

It seems these programs are really commercials for xyz outfitters or xyz ranchers and if you come here the same thing will happen for you.

How long have these deer been protected so that when the cameras roll there will be action Not to be to cynical. I think that some of these deer are hand picked for certain celebrities before they ever arrive for their hunt. Would be nice if they were honest about the details.

This is another reason that I feel that some of the testimonials and endorsements that are from these kind of hunts are useless in telling us how they would work on a real hunt.

I have had a couple of the so-called celebrities on our ranch several years ago and I can guarantee you the regular clients got treated no different whatsoever than the camera crews. We are just a small business in northwest South Dakota but a family business and we do not roll that way. We basically showed them the area and made some suggestions and turned them loose. Some were successful and some were not.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:27 pm

Woods walker, I understand your frustrations, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you don't hunt in Buffalo, Shawano, Waupaca or any surrounding counties, and I'm also going to go out on a limb and guess that you put less than 20 days in the stand (bow and/or gun combined).

I hunt in Waupaca county, I could shoot deer every time I go out, I got my first Pope and Young (offically now) last year bow hunting where I spent 45 days in the stand. A buddy of mine shot a 80" buck opening morning within 30 minutes of legal shooting hours.

I practice QDM hardcore, something the guy who was hunting with me is starting to learn and understand. When it comes to gun season, my dad can shoot whatever he wants because the time spent in the field with him is much more valuable than one could imagine, and his days are numbered.

Every buck that I pass on that keeps my dad or young neighbors just getting into deer hunting interested because its a deer I pass, I feel I accomplished something great.

The numbers in certain parts of the state are much greater than others...I get that...but what are you really hunting for? If you're hunting for meat, and don't care about how big it is...please give credit to those who passed on the deer to give you that opportunity. If everyone shot every deer they saw, the numbers would be much less to a point where people would stop getting interested and give up hunting areas because they wouldn't see much or anything that meets their standards. Right now I think WI is a great state to hunt in because it has a mix of people doing QDM and people who are straight meat hunters. Unless there are thousands and thousands of acres of QDM, its an uphill battle for thos people doing it, and it gives opportunities to people such as you who don't care how big it is.

I'm both QDM and a meat hunter, very few of the bucks I pass on make it to the next year or the year after that, simply because of the number of arrows or bullets thrown at them, so please, instead of critizing people who take the time and sacrifice a lot of their time to make things possible to hunters like yourself, embrace that, and accept the fact that you're seeing deer period because of them.

If you hunt in one of the counties I mentioned above, and aren't seeing deer or things you can shoot on a regular basis, maybe you should look into how you hunt.

QDM isn't for everyone, and it surely doesn't happen overnight, but maybe it will help you in the long run as well where you see deer on a regular basis, and you can shoot whatever you'd like, whenever you want.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:12 pm

Gafrage: I don't live or hunt in Wisconsin, I live and hunt in Illinois. And I don't spend ANY days on stand. I gave up on shooting deer from trees because it wasn't challenging enough anymore. Now I HUNT them on the ground. On their terms. No blinds, no stands, no trail cams, cell phones or any other do-dads. Just me and what I've learned from over 50 years of being in the woods.

And you know what? I'm having more fun now than ever. Do I have a shot everytime I go out? No. Hunting this way I see and get close to deer very frequently....many times TOO close...., but getting a shot off with the bow is another story, or at least what I consider a high percentage shot. Is it hard to do? Hell yeah. Frustrating at times? You betcha'. Can I see and shoot more deer from a tree on a deer farm? Absolutely! But it's "hard" that MAKES IT SO DARN GOOD! In my mind, passing on "lesser" bucks because they don't meet some arbitrary standard regardless of the difficulty of hunting that particular deer completely ignores the whole reason behind the HUNT in the first place.

I'm at the point in my hunting life where it's no longer about how many or how big, but the challenge of the HUNT that's the most important thing. I'd rather shoot a forkhorn or a doe that I stalked and shot on the ground undetected than a "shooter buck" that I assasinate from a treestand. The last few deer I shot from a stand I actually started getting "let down" when I SAW them approach and get within range. Time for a change.

Maybe I could come up north some time and you could give me some tips on how to kill deer. At the very least I could kiss your feet for being the one responsible for me killing the nice bucks that I have because you were generous enough to not shoot them. Bless you! And all this time I foolishly thought that I've killed the deer I have because I've been a lifetime student of the woods for a half a century, always observing, always questioning everything about not only deer, but other animals, birds, insects, plants, soils clouds, wind, and even rocks, when all this time it's been because a generous fellow in Wisconsin was sacrificing just for me! All those years running a trapline, hunting EVERYTHING, fishing, making my living outdoors, and living in the woods with deer all around us so that I can read sign that most "hunters" walk right by has nothing to do with it!

If you want to be a deer farmer, that's fine with me! Take pics of them, count them, name them, give them an affirmative action pass, whatever. I will continue to HUNT them as the wild creatures that God intended them to be. My license says "DEER TAG". Not "bucks over 4.5 years of age with a spread of 21" or more that someone else was kind enough to pass on tag".

I know many QDM types who are out and out "antler nazi's" who go around telling other legal deer hunters what THEY should or shouldn't shoot, and then having the gall to berate them when they shoot a deer that doesn't match up to their "standards"!!! I'm old and crotchedy enough to want to go out and tag as many 1.5 year old 8 pointers as I can legally kill when I hear that!

I have to give you credit, your QDM approach is a new one for me, that I should THANK YOU for when I do kill what you consider to be a "trophy" deer!

Unbelievable.........

Oh...and if I want to "shoot deer whenever I want and what I want", I'll just go to a deer farm and pick one out. But I like to HUNT my deer. That's the main thing. The shooting part is just icing on the cake. And the best part is that no one has to thank me for it!

But is that what it's all about for you? Being able to shoot whatever deer you want whenever you want because you made yourself a deer farm? Really? I feel sorry for you my friend, I really do. Your missing the whole point of the hunt.....but then again, you've shown that you aren't there for the hunt, in fact the hunt isn't even part of it anymore.

I hope I never get to that point!
Last edited by Woods Walker on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:26 pm

Oh...and by the way, I killed this buck stillhunting during gun season. He was 35 yards away and never knew I was there. He wasn't an affirmative action deer though that someone like yourself was kind enough to pass on for me. That's not it works in west central Illinois where I hunt. In fact, wehn we caped him he had a .22 mag bullet lodged in the middle of his forehead. 171 B&C typical. While he was the biggest "mathematical points" deer I've ever killed there, what I remember best about that hunt wasn't the rack, but getting that close to him and he didn't know I was there. I didn't just wander in there either as I know that ridge he was on and I know the wind patterns and other minutia of how deer and other wildlife use that area. It's called HUNTING.
Double Drop.jpg
Double Drop.jpg (101.69 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News