I would like to make a suggestion.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
kellory

I would like to make a suggestion.

Postby kellory » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:27 pm

I am on several forums. A few of these, have a chat function. It works well in real time, and only members see or use it. No guests. Most often found on the front page, it allows members to catch up with one another, without it being a permanent record. It is relaxed, and pleasant, like kicking back around a campfire, and chatting with friend. It also allows for questions from people trying to find something. Or shout out a greeting to passing friends. I would like to see that feature added to this site. How about you? Would you like to see a feature like that here? :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

gatodoc

Re: I would like to make a suggestion.

Postby gatodoc » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:29 pm

I'd like to see it...I'd like to ask questions and get responses in real time so there could be progression of thought.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:54 am

I'm gonna make a guess: it ain't gonna happen.

That's not to say I'm against it. I'm just saying D&DH probably will not install a chat feature.

Now, let's look at alternatives:

1) FInd a carrier for chat -- ICQ, Yahoo, Google. The question is which suits our needs.
2) DIY. I could have chat going at Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries in a matter of minutes.
3) . . . er, I shot my whole load on the first two. Y'all might have some more.

Some things to think about:

1) Normally chat works when a bunch of guys agree to be on at the same time. I used to participate in a chat room on Sunday nights regarding Turkey Hunting. It was fun. However, it was never more than a half dozen folks on at the same time.
2) Text chat is easy to pull off. Video chat is going to be hard. Is Text enough?
3) Forums do a better job of spanning time and space. Our threads are kind of like chat, but they don't require someone being right there, right then.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Topdogg

Postby Topdogg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:15 am

Google chat (talk) would work for me...since I'm already on it....lol

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:15 am

Several sites I'm on have chat, or have had it, and I've yet to see it work at any of them. If a couple of folks can coordinate being in the chat room at the same time, they could just as easily either pm back and forth, or start a thread and keep posting back and forth just as easily as trying to run a chat.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

MZS

Postby MZS » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:38 pm

My own personal preference is I am not a fan of chat. It is up and then gone, and if you are not around you miss it. Also, things can get a little goofy in chat sessions, although restricting to members will help. And chat is disorganized - you might have 5 people starting 5 different conversations so even if you can save the chat, it is not usually something you want to read. I have tried chat in a variety of different formats (sports, educational, facebook) and disliked them all. I much prefer the organized format of a forum.

But if it helps draw people to the forum and does not take away from the forum involvement, I guess it would be a good thing.

Return to General Discussions