Unexpected finds while scouting

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
ripper7

Unexpected finds while scouting

Postby ripper7 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:50 pm

While scouting for deer my friend and I came across an area that Indians used to make arrow heads the area was littered with chips of quartz type rock and broken arrow heads. On this same outing we came across a natural mineral lick that the deer were using for a long time. The ground took on some weird bowl like features due to there licking up of the dirt. What unexpected finds have you come across?

Sailfish

Re: Unexpected finds while scouting

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:54 am

good thread.
I came across a set of concrete stairs going down into the ground.......to nothing.
A panther (which, according to the 'experts' i'm told isn't supposed to be in my parts).
I've had an acquaintance come across a body.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

ajkremer22

Postby ajkremer22 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Once I found the landowners grandson out with his (I assume) girlfriend practicing their love making skills. Surprised to say the least but a funny story I won't forget.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:53 pm

I found a ladderstand on public property once. It was disassembled and tucked into some bushes, and had been there so long it had a good sized tree growing through it. It was missing the spanner bar from the ladder to the trunk. They are illegal to leave on public lands, so I packed it out, cleaned it up, fabricated the missing part, and put it back into service. I think whoever stashed it, forgot where they left it. :lol:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:15 am

Debris from a tornado in southern WI a few years ago. Found big chunks of vinyl siding, fiberglass insulation, half of a roof with shingles still attached. All in this small section of woods. The tornado that dropped the debris actually hit Lacrosse WI that summer which was about an hour drive west from where I found this stuff. Kinda interesting. On public land a few years back, I found an area where a hobo was living in a makeshift camp in the woods. Then I heard a story from another hunter as they were bow hunting, they had seen a grizzly looking dude wandering some public land full nude. Im guessing it was the hobo.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Let's see...I've found Mylar Baloons that were left to float away and land in the middle of our Hunting Area,found several old wooden tree stands that I took pictures of,also found (it actually has been found and taken care of) an old Cemetery with 4 Graves and markings on 1 large Tombstone from 1888.

I found 2 complete Deer/Bucks dead in the woods,1 was from a 11-Point Buck I had lost the year before the second was a 10-Point Buck I had 2 Years of trail camera pictures from and someone had shot him in the Nov Rifle Season and I found his skeleton/head 3 months later in our woods.I ended up having him Re-caped and mounted and He's hanging on my wall now in his former glory!

I've found arrowheads and spearheads while walking our food plots also....that's worth it's weight in gold to find a piece of Indian Artifacts where I Hunt!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:30 pm

1-GTOHunter wrote:an old Cemetery with 4 Graves and markings on 1 large Tombstone from 1888.
!

VERY kewl!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Return to General Discussions