Keeping Quiet in the Deer Woods

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DEER30

Keeping Quiet in the Deer Woods

Postby DEER30 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:45 pm

We all know that a deer's nose is its greatest defense and its eyes are sharp at spotting movement. But how good is a deer's hearing? What can we do to be quieter in the woods? I wrote my answers to these questions in an article at www.deer30outdoors.com/did-you-hear-that/ But what do guys/gals do?

1-GTOHunter

Re: Keeping Quiet in the Deer Woods

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:43 pm

That was a well written article on Deer and what to do to minimize the noise/sounds we make in the woods!

I usually do what was mentioned about using well worn trails or the landscape to sneak in the where I'm Hunting,I also clear off paths to slip into my stands,I have found that the Deer use them also and I watched a Doe walk along the same path and bed down for 30-45 minutes as I watched overhead from my ladder stand that I was actually Coyote Hunting out of this Summer!

I also walk slowly/quietly and watch ahead for movement,then walk quietly and repeat til I get to my stand or I take different routes each time I go out Hunting.During Bow Season I have much more cover since it starts Sept 15 as the Season progresses I have to be more careful walking in and making any movement up in my stands.

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks GTO! I just spent last weekend clearing trails and doing a lot of stand maintenance in preparation for our annual MD opening day bow hunt in September. It was hot work, but we have a killer set up this year. Hopefully you can check back with us in a few weeks to some great pix if it all pays off. Good luck to you!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:27 pm

You many of you have read how I mow and rake all my trails..about 2 miles of them on our place..I have plot trails and along side I have the walking trails...trails that wind in and around to connect all other trails...other than the areas I will not venture in to, every place else has well groomed trails that I routinely travel in total darkness..no flash light... to get to stands or blinds....being in bear country it's imperative to me...to be able to hear a pin drop on the way in ;)
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Return to Best Practices