who would post a pic like this ?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

Re: who would post a pic like this ?

Postby Homunculi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:03 pm

i do not know ... if i would even think of taking a pic like that my pa would prolly take his belt to me to this day .. and he is 70 now ...

must be the way i was raised and i found out that 2 of my neighbors are the reason the police keep pulling in my driveway while i am unloading
my weapons (shotgun... bow or crossbow ) after a hunt or when i get home from the range ... well anyway .. back to the topic at hand

pics like this .. photo album IMHO for family and friends not for public display ... but this is america ... do as you please ...
i keep forgetting people are raised different anymore ... i have my set of values they have theirs ... different styles for everyone ..

shamen i too do not gut mine till i am out of the woods part of the agreement to hunt the in-laws land ... though i have not ever seen that style of hanging a deer i have done them on the ground or gambrel hung from the hind legs ... ... i find it easy for me ... but to each his own ...

ajkremer22 wrote:Can't say it is something I would do and agree anti hunting groups would use it to help push their agenda. It would be nice to see people respect the game a little more and take a more tasteful picture and post that. Leave ones like this for their home collection.

i agree ... some pics keep for personal reference .. y'all seen the pics of my buck last year i made no metal punk or gang signs ...

but i guess it falls back to the way you are raised and a sign i am getting older ... and set in my ways (wanting to refuse change) ...

first bow kill or not .. my first bow kill was a doe with my crossbow .. and my first buck (a 5 point) and i will say the worst part of that pic was you could see where i gutted him in the pic ... .. behind the camera ... i was shaking from the adrenaline and muttering yeah ... yes .. oh boy ..or oh yeah!!
also i am not the biggest bible toting preaching church goer ... but i have respect for the animals ... they are all gods creatures and deserve respect in the wild as well as on the way to the freezer ... or on the dinner table ...

thanks for the replies and input ... and i just need to focus on my kids and the way i want them to treat and respect the game they take ..

respects .... H
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:11 am

Interesting about the hanging styles. I grew up hunting exclusively in the low country of SC. I've hunted in Florida and Georgia, and now am back where I began. I have never known anyone who hung 'em head up; but I've noticed this procedure in old camp photos from Maine and Michigan, so was just curious.
I've also never field dressed a deer. We've always had a skinning shed, or a skinning tree where we did all of the gutting and skinning. I prefer to lay the deer in a trough that places them waist high off of the ground. While the deer is on the trough, we practically completely skin it, saw through the rib cage and the neck, cut off the legs at the knees, and then hoist with a gambrel and either a hand crank hoist, or an electric hoist. Then saw through the pelvis after ripping the hide off, cut out the anus and pull all of the guts down and out of the animal to the gut bucket, then saw the head off (with the hide still attached). We then wash the carcass down, let it drip dry and immediately put it into a walk-in cooler where I personally let it hang for no more than one week before processing. I have hunted with guys who used the golf ball and a loop of cable attached to the trailer ball of a truck and pulled the hide completely off after cutting around the neck and all four legs. They also used a trough and then hoisted by the rear legs to complete the gutting process.

I find it very interesting how innovative people have become in their approach to skinning and processing game in different parts of the country, and even from one club to another.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

MZS

Postby MZS » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:43 pm

With respect to the first pic, the gang sign is a a bit odd and the orientation of the deer and facial expression are not the best, but otherwise I guess it is not that bad. Not something I would want my son posting though!

With respect to the deer hanging from the head, I hang my deer from the head as well, and have gotten some halfway nice photos. I back the truck up to where I have a come-along, put the cable around the head (with S hook) and crank it up, pulling it up and out of the truck - the deer is up in a minute and I like the way it drains. I guess partly I do it this way cause that is how I was taught and everyone where I hunted growing up did it this way. I think in the photo posted here, the deer was hauled a ways (tow truck?) and thus the rope or wire almost took the head right off. The way I do it, the deer head is not pulled so hard. Also, I field dress in the woods, so there is less weight hanging.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:57 pm

I have heard of hanging them from the head, and I have seen the old photos, but have never done it that way. never heard of using a cradle to skin and gut either. I am just not comfortable gutting them on the ground, so I always hang them head down to gut and skin. I do not a;ways have a gambrel with me for this purpose though. I have found that a rope from each hind leg to two spaced limbs or two trees, will hang and spread the deer for easy gutting and skinning. I will be trying the golf ball skinning this year. I installed an earth anchor and snatch pulley at the cabin floor level last year and the boat winch has been installed. I also built the air needle for breaking the skin free of the meat. with a minor adjustment, i believe it will work even slicker.

As for the gang signs. If my son were seen using gang signs, his butt would get a belt taken to it. I will not put up with pants halfway down your butt crack either. I have instructed several guests in the proper use of a belt, and in one case, applied a rope, with a knot that would require a knife to remove. I will not accept thug-like behavior in my house.
My two kids are very bright, well adjusted, highly educated, one in college, and the other bound this fall. They are both popular with their peers, and their friends know how to behave like young adults when they are here.
Gang signs have meanings, much like American Deaf Sign Language, and few signs have good meanings. NOT in my house, and not in my face.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:37 am

shaman, i have always hung mine from the neck too so all the bad stuff at the bottom goes out the bottom and i do not gut mine in the woods i'm hunting in i take them out side the woods to a dead cow pile to gut call me superstitious but i think a deer knows another deers smell inside or out
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

MZS

Postby MZS » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:35 am

With respect to the hand sign, I have seen this many years back, when I was at a rock concert. Also, it is used by some fans of the longhorn football team and some other teams, so this young fellow could have been referencing this. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_the_horns
I always thought it was satanic looking and never flashed this myself as it seemed inherently offensive to me, as with many of you. And, according to the wikipedia article, it does have some satanic meaning and is indeed very offensive in some cultures. Again, I would not let my son flash this sign. All in all, a goofy/offensive gesture makes this a poor photo.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:06 am

My Daughter is heavily into sign language for the deaf. Her current goal is to work cruise ships as a translator. So I am well aware handsigns have meaning. You are quite right about this one being used by football fans when faces away as horns "hookers", it has been used for Satanic rites, as well as a gesture for oral sex. With a twisting motion, it can mean "hang loose", and there are many other mundane or cryptic meanings, and I certainly don't know them all.

Signs can show affiliations, insults, brags, recognition, (ask any Mason, if he will tell you), deeds, (bones) just to name a few. They are language. It is free speech, but it would be a damn good idea to have a clue what you are saying, when you do it. In photos, meaning is too open to interpretation.

The raised middle finger, shown to an enemy was not an insult, but a death threat.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:47 pm

My two cents worth:
Anti-hunters should first off not be confused with non-hunters. Most of the private land farm owners who have granted me permission over the years were non-hunters. They did not have an interest in hunting themselves but took delight in the fact that others enjoyed the sport and their land with such respect and passion. Anti-hunters on the other hand, are often misguided, misinformed, and sometimes down right ignorant about our sport. They (generalizing) find hunting and everything about it offensive; from the equipment used/sold, to the act of killing game, and especially the triumphant posing for photographs after the fact. You can never educate people who have closed their minds to anything other than their own ideals.

Personally, the photo is fine if you are goofing around, I guess, but I would not have taken such a picture, nor posted it to social media. Your just asking for negative feedback.

As to hanging deer: I always hang a deer from the hind legs. This allows for easier skinning down to the head. the hide and head can then be easily removed together. I then split the sternum down to the neck and rinse with cold water, so hanging by the hind legs allows for easier clean up. I usually field dress my deer away from my stands, sometimes at home when I am hunting close by. I do not like contaminating my hunting area any more than I have to and a rotting gut pile can be avoided. I have seen some deer who couldn't careless about blood and guts, while others spook and are gone. So why take the chance.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:57 am

I don't know anything about gang signs or satanic hand gestures. I do watch a lot of college football, even if it's not an SEC game, so I thought he was demonstrating a "hook 'em horns" gesture in the picture. I do know that when I was in England that hand gesture meant the same thing as an extended middle finger over there.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Previous

Return to General Discussions