What does he Score

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
DEER30

What does he Score

Postby DEER30 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:16 pm

A few weeks ago I posted a link to an article I wrote about judging the age of a deer. www.deer30outdoors.com/how-old-is-he/ I was also curious as to what you guys/gals think the 3 1/2 yr old-6 1/2 yr old would score? Thought it might be interesting to compare answers.

DEER30

Re: What does he Score

Postby DEER30 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:17 pm

Our first trail cam pix of the season came in this week also with some nice VA bucks at www.deer30outdoors.com/hunting/deer/trail-cam-gallery/

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:17 am

Since I can't eat the rack, and don't own a taxidermy mounted set, I don't usually get into scoring antlers. Nothing wrong with it, and I certainly have no reason to fault anyone who chooses to hunt for trophies. I'm a meat hunter and if I happen to get a decent rack, then I mount it on a wooden placque, and hang it on the wall, otherwise, I just cut the antlers off and nail 'em to a tree. Besides, I can't afford to pay for a nice mount. The only mount I own is a near state record Bobcat, I killed several years ago.

I will say that I can pretty much age a deer by it's body shape and muscle development, rather than antler size. I've seen some two year olds with some huge racks, and some 7 year olds with a runty rack, so I don't believe antler size is a good indicator of age. I think nutrition and genetics determine the antler size more than age.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:33 pm

I totally agree about aging deer by their racks for reasons you stated, that is what the article is about.

The meat vs trophy debate will never end and neither is right or wrong. Its whatever makes the one pulling the trigger happy. I guess I am a "trophy" hunter when it comes to bucks because the does I kill provide plenty of meat. If you can't eat the rack, shoot the ones that don't grow one. Just a little ribbing :D

Scoring deer for me is just in my competitive nature. Not that mine is bigger than yours kind of way, but guessing and then hopefully having a chance to measure and see how close I was.

gorich761

Postby gorich761 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:39 am

Nothing wrong with it, and I certainly have no reason to fault anyone who chooses to hunt for trophies. I'm a meat hunter and if I happen to get a decent rack, then I mount it on a wooden placque, and hang it on the wall, otherwise, I just cut the antlers off and nail 'em to a tree. Besides, I can't afford to pay for a nice mount.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:15 am

Nothing wrong with trophy hunters or meat hunters. I would consider myself a meat hunter although I am a bit picky. I passed this fall on a nice doe as she had twins with her, guess I would prefer a dry doe or yearling, spike or crotch horn. As far as aging goes the best and most accurate is by the teeth. Before I retired I aged deer as part of my job and once you learned it was pretty easy. Aging deer by size or antlers is only a guess at best.

rthomas4 wrote:I will say that I can pretty much age a deer by it's body shape and muscle development, rather than antler size. I've seen some two year olds with some huge racks, and some 7 year olds with a runty rack, so I don't believe antler size is a good indicator of age. I think nutrition and genetics determine the antler size more than age.

I agree with you rt
Doug

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management