Quads?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Quads?

Postby shaman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:12 am

We were just up the street from the house yesterday. KYHillChick was driving me around. I noticed a doe about ready to cross the street and I had KYHillChick stop the car. The doe crossed and then 1, 2, 3 . . . 4 fawns crossed with her. Yikes! I've never seen that before. I wish I had gotten pictures, but we could never get them all in the shot at the same time.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Re: Quads?

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:54 am

What you actually witnessed is a rarity. The doe possibly had two sets of twins. Most people don't realize that when they see a doe with two fawns, they are not actually twins, since they developed from two separate eggs, instead of one egg that split. Most of the times the two fawns will actually have different bucks as the sires. Triple fawns is usually an indication of one set of twins and then a totally different fawn from another egg that was fertilized. The University of Georgia's Deer Research facility has actually documented several cases of does with four fawns, but that is in an enclosed breeding farm. Does that commonly have such an occurrence are usually in the 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 year age group. Also, most yearling does will only have a single fawn, and it's normally after they reach 2 1/2 that they will begin to produce two fawns each year. Many times, if a fawn's mother has been killed by a vehicle or a predator, it's not uncommon for another doe in the herd to take that fawn and raise it as her own, thus creating a situation where a single doe will appear to have multiple fawns.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Re: Quads?

Postby shaman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:11 am

The idea of a sister's mortality is a good one. About 2 weeks ago we had an agitated fawn running between the houses for an hour or so. At the time, I was wondering if mama might have come to grief. This would make sense.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to General Discussions