rubber boots

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Topdogg

rubber boots

Postby Topdogg » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Do most of you use rubber boots or not? I keep hearing that rubber boots are the best scent wise...but I just bought new boots last season and they aint rubber....lol

kellory

Re: rubber boots

Postby kellory » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:32 pm

In my humble opinion, Leather would have to be the worst material to have, but not the worst fitting boot. Leather boots conform to your feet quite well, but tend to stink. There are some very good boots out there, and I think we have a thread or two strickly about which boots are best for each type of hunting. I would suggest you try the searchbox first, to see what is already here on which boots are best for what.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:55 pm

I have the Muck "Chore" rubber boots and I have much better luck using them when walking to and from my stands...as in the Deer not picking up my scent!Now mind You I wear them primarily for Scouting and Hunting then take them off and leave them outside and I spray them down with scent-killer spray to keep them scent free as possible and I've been known to rub them into a good pile of persimmon fruit for extra measure! :D ;)

The trick to most scent-free shoes is to not go to the local Gas Station and pump gas and walk thru all the smell same goes for smoking in Your Hunting gear going in a Restaurant or anything else that contaminate your Hunting shoes,clothes and gear!

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:32 am

I'm going to go against the grain here again.

I was a firm believer in the rubber boot catechism. However, I picked up a pair of leather insulated boots back in 2003 for the coldest days of hunting. To date, I've scored the biggest bucks of my life while wearing those boots. Two of the five were taken within spitting distance of my stand. I watched one cross over my trail and then come back and follow it for 50 yards or so on his way to the stand.

I can't tell you rubber boots don't work. I can't tell you leather boots are bad.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:52 am

I usually wear rubber boots if the ground is real wet when I'm walking to my tree stand. I also put "deer herd in a stick" on 'em. If I'm hunting with the dogs, then I have to wear hip boots just to get into the swamp in the first place.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:18 pm

shaman wrote:I'm going to go against the grain here again.

I was a firm believer in the rubber boot catechism. However, I picked up a pair of leather insulated boots back in 2003 for the coldest days of hunting. To date, I've scored the biggest bucks of my life while wearing those boots. Two of the five were taken within spitting distance of my stand. I watched one cross over my trail and then come back and follow it for 50 yards or so on his way to the stand.

I can't tell you rubber boots don't work. I can't tell you leather boots are bad.

Oh come now shaman, what you CAN tell us is the truth...the truth that you hunted these poor deer right at the fall time change and took advantage of their befuddlement and "jet lag" due to their out of adjustment internal clocks. You could have been wearing gasoline and mt. lion urine soaked boots with jingle bells on them and still killed those confused deer! :o
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:35 am

Daylight Savings Time confusion had no part in this, Woodsie. Although you DID give me an idea for further research. I think we'll lock Scooter in a pen with a rutting buck and see how he reacts to leather vs. rubber boots and do this pre and post- time change just to see what happens. Scooter is now fully recovered from his encounter with the buck two seasons ago, trying to take a buck's temperature with an anal probe. The physical therapy on his right arm has made him better than he ever was.

I've watched gobs of deer over the years, both as a gun hunter and a bow hunter. I have seen deer interact with my boot trail on numerous occasions. There is very little rhyme or reason to it. For every deer that has stuffed her head down into my boot print, I've seen another walk by oblivious. One day I even saw a young doe come running down a frequently traveled track in a fluster, stop dead in her tracks stick her nose into my prints. She stuck her head up in alarm, and then suddenly drop back down into a placid stance, turn and wander away with her tail flicking in contentment. What was up with that? If memory serves me, I was wearing my leather hiking boots that day. The instance occurred a good hour after I'd passed by the spot.

As much as I loved my LaCrosse bowhunting boots, and as much as I suffered in them as the weather got colder, I would have to say that comfort trumps scent. I can't tell you how many hours I spent up a tree, standing on an aluminum tree stand with my body heat being sucked out of those boots. My advice is to use the following hierarchy in picking footwear:

1) Safety. Can these boots get me in and out of the woods and up and down the tree without trouble?
2) Warmth and Dryness.
3) Scent. I'm not saying it isn't a factor, but there are more important things.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:36 am

Here are some more thoughts on whole rubber boot thing.

I stopped using normal commercial preparations on my leather boots about 10 years ago. I used to be a Sno-Seal addict. Then somebody suggested beeswax. I went out on Ebay and found a lifetime supply for about $8. One treatment lasts 5-10 years. Besides doing an excellent job of waterproofing, it also smell-proofs the leather as well. If anything, the beeswax seems to pick up whatever I'm walking through. So if I'm walking out to my stand, the beeswax would pick up the grass and brush and leaf detritus.

When folks talk about rubber boots being scentproof, I would have them stick their noses down onto their boots. When I do, I smell Naptha-- a solvent used in the manufacture of the boot. My LaCrosse boots finally died after 25 years of faithful service this past winter. If you stick your nose up to those boots, you can still smell Naptha. I've never been able to figure out how somehow deer can supposedly smell everything with uncanny sensitivity, but they don't smell Naptha.

Lastly, there is one thing you probably can't take out of the equation, and that is what your boot is doing when it interfaces with the ground. As you walk, everything underneath gets crushed, squeezed, stirred , etc. You have to figure that the deer, if they can smell the passing waft of leather, must be able to smell this. I don't know of a way to counter this. I'm dead sure this nothing out there commercially available to cure it. My point is that you have all energy being thrown at making yourself scent-free and here you are creating scent just by the fact that you're walking on the ground. It makes me wonder if we're not just wasting our time.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Can`t get my feet to stay warm in them no matter how thick they are or how many hand warmers are neatly positioned in them, I`d try switching switch socks but never find that perfect moment to do it before my feet are too cold for it to help. this year i`m going to use something with alot of gore tex and cordura nylon and hope for the best. The other thing i hate about rubber boots is how your feet squeak in them once your feet start to sweat, if there is that kind of friction in the boot it has to be moving air in and out of the boot through the foot hole.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:36 pm

I stick with the non-rubber insulated 8" waterproof hunting boot. Preferably the lightest weight I can find. I try to keep in the 800 to 1000 Grams of insulation range, and with one pair of regular socks my feet never get cold. Many years ago I took the advise of others about the use of rubber nee-high boots for scent control. On one particular morning hunt after crossing a deer trail to my tree that I used to hunt that trail and as it started to get light, I watched this raccoon come down the trail and when he hit the spot where I crossed, he immediately stopped and turned around and headed back the way he came from. With the added problems of keeping my feet warm, that was the last of rubber boots for me.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Next

Return to General Discussions