Trail cams (A different angle)

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Trail cams (A different angle)

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:46 am

I listened to an interview today, it was an outfit that does land improvement utilizing natural vegetation/flora when possible.

Anyways, they did an unofficial study for over a year on trail camera's and deer interaction and found interesting observations.
(I will preface this as don't shoot the messenger; also the Outfits findings were their findings and the observations may or may not hold true for you)

They accidentally left the video setting on one of their camera's instead of the photo setting. They watched all the videos of the deer that came onto their plot (instead of getting snapshots they were getting the entire interaction of the deer). They happen to notice that both the doe and the bucks were skittish, the doe would tend to more readily " accept " the little box in their living room whereas the bucks were very skittish, and would avoid, back away, almost jump to avoid it.
So they hypothesized and figured, its the flash, its a sound, its the IR.......etc.
They did a test. They took a dead camera and mounted it. They then put a camera in a tree looking down onto the dead camera and video'd the deer. Guess what they found? Same reactions to the dead camera. They'd all look at it, skittish and move away, avoid it etc.

They also talked about putting a camera on a post in the middle of a food plot as some folks will do. They noticed that the plot would get hit regularly however there would be an approximate 50' area around the camera where the plot was thicker, taller, lusher. They summized the camera was in play here as well.

Like many, I enjoy the camera, the pics I get and seeing certain animals grow, the new fawns etc and won't stop using it.
But I will be more careful on where I place them. I have had a camera within 5 yards of a stand site before, and killed a deer by the stand, but if we're talking a chance at a good deer, and he stays just 50' away because of a camera............I'm def going to stick with what I have been doing the last year. Keeping it well away from my stands.....well away.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

shaman

Re: Trail cams (A different angle)

Postby shaman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:18 am

Thanks Sailfish.

I suspected something like that. A few years ago I opined on here that I thought cameras were not such the great idea. I admit I thought it had more to do with the disruption caused by attending to the device rather than the device itself. However, I'm glad somebody is talking about this.

Look, I'm for whatever floats your boat. Seriously, I am. However, you gotta ask yourself: if you think it deer can smell so good you have to wear rubber boots and a scent suit. . . If you think deer can peg you coming and going from your stand. . . If you stay awake at night wondering if your gun oil is scent free. . .

. . . What are you doing putting a trail camera out to take pictures of your deer?

Another thought: I see all this yammering about hunting behind fences and feeding the deer and what is Fair Chase and what ain't. Let's just say deer really do get weird on cameras, but over time they get de-sensitized to you and that camera coming into their environment. Now what does that do to your stand on Fair Chase? I ain't the one judging here. I'm just asking.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:31 am

I guess that since I leave my cameras out year 'round, the deer have gotten used to them. I've actually gotten pictures of deer as I've shot 'em on two of my cameras, but they are also overlooking corn piles on food plots. One of the cameras actually helped me determine that I missed a deer once, when I could see the dirt fly up as the deer took off. I realized that I had placed the barrel of the rifle on the rest, instead of the forearm, and with a floating barrel that will throw the bullet off(which I knew), but in that case, didn't realize what I had done until I saw the trail cam picture.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:44 pm

you mean they act like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvBtQvpC ... e=youtu.be

this was taken with an old moultrie camera that had a square black shield over the motion sensor. I thought the deer could see reflections in that section of the camera because not only this buck reacted that way to the camera. maybe I`ll just start using helium filled drones instead ;) OR I saw an article a week ago about how economical it`s getting to put you own high def imaging satellite
into orbit, It`s the wave of the future they are going to be as popular as cell phones one day! that will fix the problem.

it may actually be cool having real time images on your phone, only for summer scouting not for hunting.

HuntingFool94

Postby HuntingFool94 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:53 am

Hmm - maybe this is just a deer are sensitive to everything situation - the camera is apparent to them, they can smell scent you leave behind on camera (hard to setup camera with scent free gloves on!) - they can see reflection on camera lens or other reflections, even IR cameras reflect. So I am not surprised deer react to them.However just like deer adjust to farm implements and vehicles and other daily things I think they adjust to cameras as well - I get lots of deer pics on my cameras which I check every month or so (sometimes in the hundreds) - so it must not bother em too much.
I am sure some of the deer are camera shy as well, but I like having the pics and am willing to take that risk - but I am a deer hunter not a trophy hunter - I kill for the freezer first then I may wait on a trophy buck.
I like using the cameras as it gives me a good reason to make the 2 hour drive to the hunting land and I get many cool pics of deer staring right into to camera and pics of does and fawns and some nice bucks that I may not see during hunting season, good to at least have some visual of them! I develop scouting skills/info as I determine spots to place the cameras and as I walk about collecting camera cards / replacing batteries. Fun stuff and good exercise!
You can be ultra paranoid in pursuit of trophy deer - I just prefer to have fun hunting, not worry all the time about wind/scent/intrusions etc.
"don't stink, don't move, don't make noise"

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:18 am

Trail cams and the pictures that you can get may be as addictive as hunting itself. When I first started using trail cams, I had to check 'em every week because I was so excited to see what I had gotten pictures of. Now, that I've been using them for over 13 years, I'm content to check 'em about once a month, but the excitement can still be generated from discovering what's on the pictures.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to General Discussions