Fitness Ideas from Y'all

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
aclemons

Fitness Ideas from Y'all

Postby aclemons » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 pm

Howdy y'all,

I poked around a bit on here and saw some posts, ideas, questions, answers and such.

Just curious what some of your most pressing questions would be about fitness in relation to hunting, feeling better, hunting more comfortably or successfully.

Sleeping better? Eating better? Exercises that may not require a ton of time but are effective? How to get started walking or jogging? Is jogging good for you?

Things like that ... whatever's on your mind as maybe the most "would like to know this" topics.

Thanks very much. I hope y'all are having a great summer.

Alan Clemons
D&DH Managing Editor

luvhuntin

Re: Fitness Ideas from Y'all

Postby luvhuntin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Would love to know how to get to sleep the night before a hunt. (one that does`nt include large pints of adult beverage) I get so jacked up I usually get 3 hours of sleep the night before.
that drives the wife nuts and worries her at the same time.

aclemons

Postby aclemons » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:02 am

Sleeping problems the night before a hunt sound like excitement! I know what you mean. That's a good one to check into.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:42 am

Sleeping trouble?
Try Melatonin. It's in the vitamin section, and it works the same way a big turkey dinner puts you to sleep. One pill before bed puts me out like a light. Normally I don't need it, but if I'm keyed up over something and I find I'm having trouble that's the first thing I turn to any more.

Just be careful. If I take it too late, I'm muzzy headed when I get up the next morning. They have different sized pills. One of them is bound to work just right. Experiment before season.

My problem is that I've got a huge checklist to go through the night before the Opener. I have a 90 minute ride to camp. Most everything is packed well ahead, but it's still rather daunting. Once we get there, there's an hour or two worth of prep that has to go on before I can finally settle down, pour a scotch and eat dinner.

Stuff I've learned:

1) Pre-pack or pre-position as much as possible before hand. I've got the ammo and the licenses down at camp a week or two before the Opener.
2) Buy lots of the small stuff so you are not agonizing over where you put your one-and-only flashlight or socks or whatever
3) Make your big decisions well before-hand. I have my Opening Day stand picked out well-ahead. I keep abreast of the long range forecast and have my kit laid out the week before.

The idea is that if you know you're going to be jonesing on something, you can work to minimize it.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:12 am

aclemons wrote:Howdy y'all,

Exercises that may not require a ton of time but are effective? How to get started walking or jogging? Is jogging good for you?

Alan Clemons
D&DH Managing Editor

I started a routine about 3 mos ago (indirect to deer hunting fitness) just because I wanted some new type of cardio that challenged me but didn't bore me. Stair climbing!
Real stairs not a machine.
I started first by walking up to get the groove, one step at a time, then skipping a step.
Now I bound up the steps (still walk down at a fast, controlled, safe pace). I'll do fast feet one step at a time, the next flight I do a skip step, the next flight i'll skip 2 steps (some days I can't run this one :D ), then I mix the pattern up, whatever it takes to keep the game alive (mentally).
I believe I do 700 steps now 3x a week. I still jog and ride my bike, but this has been a great addition. My quads are strong and feel great, and I have good 'wind' as well now.

Great thing is, it can be done almost anywhere.
As for deer hunting, I would think dragging a buck through the woods, over stumps, uphills, downed logs, etc.........for a 1/4 mile or longer that this would really benefit you (the hunter)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Ricky

Postby Ricky » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44 am

Its a nice thread and i am happy to read all posts. All fitness ideas are good but according to me exercise is the most important tool to maintain fitness. It is good to do exercise everyday. Cardio exercises are good for fitness and i spent at least 30 to 40 minutes on cardio exercises.
lakecountybootcamps

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness