chestnut trees

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Topdogg

chestnut trees

Postby Topdogg » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Have anymof you ever planted chestnut trees on your hunting land? And if so...any success with those as far as deerr feeding heavily off of them. I seen it in my d&dh magazine today. Any input would be great

rthomas4

Re: chestnut trees

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 am

I haven't planted 'em, but I have a cousin who has. He planted Chestnut, Chickapennie, and Oaks several years ago. So far only the Chickapennie's have dropped any mast, but he does have a few (very rare) wild Chestnuts on his place and he has a stand near a grove of them where he consistently kills some nice deer every year.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:38 am

How ironic......I just read an article about chestnuts and how they are the best mast trees for deer.

Good luck in your growing. Do you know how long they take to fruit once planted? Just wondering.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

croz2173

Postby croz2173 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:23 am

Over the last two years I have found two American Chestnuts in PA that are still producing. The trees dont look to be in very good shape though.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:52 am

From what I've read about this new Dunstan Chestnut, which is a crossbreed, it will produce in about 3 years, once established. I don't believe actual American Chestnuts can be found, unless you know where to find some that survived the blight and can plant a seed and grow your own seedling.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to General Discussions