Hunting this year with little preparation

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sierra

Hunting this year with little preparation

Postby Sierra » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:59 am

Hi everyone!

So, having been out for surgery and recovery, I've missed months of scouting time this year. On top of that, I will be out of state for half of September for my honeymoon, which also uses all of my vacation time for this year. That means when it comes time to hunt, I am stuck with weekends only. (Do you think the other half would understand if I cut the honeymoon short? lol! He might be mad at me hehe).

So anyway, this means that I will be hunting with almost no prep work this year, and not able to hunt as long. I have my maps, and the land owner is always happy to report to me where and when he's seeing activity, and I can get in a little scouting, but I do feel unprepared. Maybe I will have good luck.

Anyone else hunted before without being able to do the legwork first? How did it work out for you?
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

croz2173

Re: Hunting this year with little preparation

Postby croz2173 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:19 am

I have had to do it and it can actually be quite fun. Everthing you see is new, and the old principal of hunting the hot sign still applies. If you dont have any stands up maybe try some hunting from the ground, which can be very exciting. Good luck to you!

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:21 am

You will do fine. Most hunts on public lands have at most, scouting the evening before. Some hunts are completely cold. Some are successful, others are not, but even an unsuccessful hunt is scouting for the next one. I simply can not afford to get boots on the ground as often as I would like.
However, lack of time and money doesn't mean it must be a cold hunt. There are sat photos, Google earth, notes from other hunts, the local draw of food, water, bedding, and what you know about deer behavior that go on. Add that to your o observations when you get on site. You should have a pretty good ideas of where to look by then.;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:45 am

In 2005, after having three strokes in four days, after I'd been working 70 + hours per week for almost six months, with very little time to even check my trail cams, much less do any other prep for the season. I wasn't able to hunt the first month and a half of our season. When I was finally able to hold a rifle again, I still couldn't walk any distance. One morning I couldn't stand it any longer and decided to ride my 4-wheeler to a small creek crossing at the bottom of a pipe line not far from my house. I parked the Yamaha under an overhanging limb and then realized it was a licking branch with a scrape (luckily I had parked next to the base of the tree and not in the scrape). I wasn't there 10 minutes, and actually was sitting on the 4 wheeler, when I heard deer moving towards me in the shallow water. To make a long story short, I ended up killing three deer with a bolt action Winchester model 70 in .270, that were all running together. I shot the closest one first, and the other two stopped and stood still, then I shot the farthest one, which ended up being the largest. The third one still just stood there, so I said, "what the hell", and jacked another shell and killed it, also. Needless to say I then had to figure out how to get them out. I ended up hooking a tow rope that I keep on the Yamaha around all three necks and pulled them to my house. Then I went and got my dad and a guy who was working on our tractor to come help me get 'em loaded and took 'em to the skinning shed at the dog hunting club and the three of us skinned, gutted, and hung 'em in the cooler.

The moral of the story? Sometimes, even without any preparation, it all boils down to being in the right place at the right time, when the stars align and it's your lucky day. BTW, I ended up killing 8 deer that year between still hunting and dog hunting.

Also, congratulation on your upcoming marriage, and best wishes for a long and happy life together.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:36 pm

The good old days.
Just walking in the woods, looking for a stump to prop down on and shoot a deer.

WHats also great Sierra is the landowner reporting for you.
Mine is a wealth of info, he's been there his whole life and has alot of observations to share.

Good luck.

Congrats btw!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Where you been girl??? Good to have you back! Congratulations!

As far as scouting, for the most part if it's ground that you know fairly well, as long as there's no drastic changes in the terrain or habitat (like logging or construction of some sort), things shouldn't really change all that much from year to year.

If I were you I'd make note of what crops are planted in what fields, and CHECK THE MAST CROP! That's probably THE most important thing you can do.

Keep us posted on your progress and don't be a stranger!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:27 am

Welcome back. I was wondering where you'd been. I hope they didn't remove anything important in the surgery. Congrats on getting hitched and don't worry about cutting the honeymoon short.

I still remember back when KYHillChick and I were fixing on getting hitched. She and her family had been all over me about signing up for the lottery to get into a special hunt in the Beaver Creek WMA. They said I should plan on doing the dance for 10 years or more before I'd get in. I signed up. Meanwhile, we'd set plans to get married in Jamaica around Halloween-- set money down on plane tickets,etc. One day I went out to the mailbox and lo, here was a letter from the state of KY telling me I'd drawn a tag for Beaver Creek on the day I was to be married in Jamaica.

I decided to tease KYHillChick and when she got home from work, I showed her the tag. She threw her arms around me and screamed with joy. She could not believe I'd been so fortunate to get a tag on the first try.

"But look at the date," I said.

"Oh, that!" she said. "We can get married anytime. It isn't every day you get to hunt Beaver Creek!"

"No," I replied. " I would not miss this wedding for anything. Any woman that would see it that way I gotta make sure never gets away."

As a guy who has had more first-time hunts with little preparation than I can count, I can tell you not to sweat it. Stick to the basics. Go over to my weblog and look up the piece I did on speed scouting ( http://genesis9.angzva.com/?p=2291 ). Treat this year like its your first time on the place. You'll do fine.

What this will teach you is what's essential. Cut back everything back to the bare-minimum. The last time I was faced with this situation, I cut out the decoy, the scents, the calls-- everything that was not essential. I saw deer nearly every time I went out, and closed the deal on two.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:51 pm

I think expectations sometimes cause us to miss the "journey" to steal a phrase from Woods Walker. This season, you get to start without any expectations, so enjoy the journey, killing a deer can be an added bonus.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:19 am

croz2173 wrote:I have had to do it and it can actually be quite fun. Everthing you see is new, and the old principal of hunting the hot sign still applies. If you dont have any stands up maybe try some hunting from the ground, which can be very exciting. Good luck to you!

There are some stands up that I can use, but I am not opposed to being on the ground. For this year I will be happy with a doe, just would like some meat in the freezer. I will try for a buck next year. I have a place where I would like to put a food plot. Thanks for the weel wishes. :-)

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:43 am

kellory wrote:You will do fine. Most hunts on public lands have at most, scouting the evening before. Some hunts are completely cold. Some are successful, others are not, but even an unsuccessful hunt is scouting for the next one. I simply can not afford to get boots on the ground as often as I would like.
However, lack of time and money doesn't mean it must be a cold hunt. There are sat photos, Google earth, notes from other hunts, the local draw of food, water, bedding, and what you know about deer behavior that go on. Add that to your o observations when you get on site. You should have a pretty good ideas of where to look by then.;)

Hi Kel. You're right, I do have some things to work with. Field is corn this year, so two stands jump out in my mind as being good candidates. And, as long as I have known Mike (landowner) and gone out there, the deer have continued to use the same main trails since there is so little disturbance that happens. So maybe I will have luck. But if not, that is fine, just being out there is awesome. :-)

Next

Return to General Discussions