How can I get more deer coming into my land without expense?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
kmassa25

How can I get more deer coming into my land without expense?

Postby kmassa25 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:41 pm

I've got 167 acres should be prime hunting but never see any deer , need help?

unclebuck

Re: How can I get more deer coming into my land without expe

Postby unclebuck » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:57 pm

We would probably have to know more about your land before anybody could answer that question.

arpy00

Postby arpy00 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:08 pm

I have 155 acres...and this is what I do. Not sure if it will work for you...but might help. First, designate 40 acres as a sanctuary- a place for the deer to hide. No one enters this area at any time. Second, find a couple of 5 acre "areas" and cut down (hinge cut if possible) the trees and make it as thick as possible- a place for the does to have their fawns. Third, if you have a trail or trails running through the land, make sure they are seeded with a variety of foods (ie: food plot mixes). Check with your local County Forester...they should give you some suggestions on what to plant- this will provide some draw and might hold the deer in your area during the warmer seasons. And, finally try to hinge cut (as above) some trees sporadically on your land. Pick trees the deer like to munch on- this will give them something to browse on during the winter months.

That is my two cents work......some expense in seeding the trials (they do not have to be done all at once)...all the other suggestions are just about a little work.

antlerking69

Postby antlerking69 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:31 pm

^^ Pretty much spot on ^^
Maybe one thing to add is having stands or blinds for all wind conditions...

arpy00

Postby arpy00 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Also....not knowing your land...but if you have a water source-man made or natural would be a bonus. I built a couple of water holes. They are only 10' x 10' at the most...and they hold water for most of the summer. Like I said, they are a nice bonus to have.
Chuck

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:41 am

Excellent Information from arpy00...!!!!!!

If allowed in Your State I would add a few Salt and Mineral Licks to help draw in the Deer and buy a few trail cameras to help You "See" the Deer Your missing..... Most People think they don't have Deer but in reality the Deer are eluding them or Your possibly scaring them off with your scent or presence?You have to invest a little time,hard work and a few dollars to improve Your Land to make it more desirable for Wildlife in general,some things/improvements will cost more than others but with a combination of them Your Deer population will increase and get better!

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:53 am

I would concur that food and water sources are the most important aspects of getting and holding deer on any property. I only have 78 acres, but I have a pond, on one end and a running creek on the back end. I also have 7 food plots planted in between the two water sources, with six permanent stands on the property. At least 25 acres of the property is too thick to get into and is the back side bordered by the running creek, also on one side is 28 acres of property that is owned by my cousin and other than a few poachers, no one ever goes into that area. Most of my property is planted pines, with a gas pipeline on one portion and an open pasture near the highway and close to a couple of houses. My food plots are planted on areas that were left open on purpose when the pines were planted, specifically for food plots, and I also plant along a fence row, on the gas pipeline, and on a power line that runs close to the pond. I have at least 4 trail cameras out year round, and also being in the lowcountry of SC where it's legal to bait, I put out corn on the plots where I have the cameras. This provides me pictures that help identify which deer need to be killed and which ones need to be left alone to grow.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:09 pm

I have never heard of a "hinge cut" but have an idea what your talking about but could someone enlighten me?
Doug

antlerking69

Postby antlerking69 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Page 97 of Novembers D & DH

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:10 am

Ok I'm dumb,,,,how do I find page 97
Last edited by Retranger on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements