Need advice

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
kmassa25

Need advice

Postby kmassa25 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Ok I'm in need of advice hunting land is hard to come by around here anymore unless you have plenty of money ,, well I have came across 167 acres of hunting land . I know people have complained about deer being scares. It has good water holes and good bedding areas and should be good good sources, and I know the land that borders it have good deer , but I'm wondering how to get more deer coming in , in expensively as possible !

pgchambers

Re: Need advice

Postby pgchambers » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:38 pm

A couple of things. If you have bedding areas the deer are using, leave them alone. Don't hunt near them until the rut, and then only as a last resort. Try and scout out where they are traveling from those beds to food, and set up closer to the food on the travel routes, and also on the field edges if you have them. Multiple options are great to have. If you can afford a camera or two, it will give you a survey of what deer are using your property, but it is more of a luxury than a need. If you have the time and resources, plant some winter food. It is too late for anything else, but you can still get some brassicas or winter wheat planted for late season. If you strike out early, late season food sources can extend your season for as long as you are willing to hunt, plus they keep the deer on your property during the winter.

Good Luck!
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

kellory

Re: Need advice

Postby kellory » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:52 pm

If you would like more help than simple guesswork on my part, I would suggest posting a good Google earth photo of the land involved. delete street names, and personal info, but show us what you have to work with. mark or show, any water, property lines, food crops, and what they are. oaks? honeysuckle? corn? fruit trees? anything sweet (deer have a sweet tooth) clover? any known bedding areas. any known paths. rubs, scrapes (real or man made), what is on the lands around it? Got the idea? ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management