Pre-Season Excitement

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Joel Spring

Pre-Season Excitement

Postby Joel Spring » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:30 am

Good morning, fellow deer hunters.

It's that time of the year. I can feel the excitement. Despite a couple of slow years hunting, which I attribute to switching from shotgun to handgun, I'm more excited this year than ever.

We're seeing a few decent bucks in the Western NY farm country where I live (Niagara County) but more fawns -- and multiple fawns -- than I've ever seen in 20 years of hunting. Hoping it's going to be a great year.

Our local bow season doesn't start until Oct. 1st, but I'm already there.

How bout you?
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

luvhuntin

Re: Pre-Season Excitement

Postby luvhuntin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:35 pm

oh man what a timely post

last night was the first night I had to check out some of my hunting spots, man what a night! In a 2 hour drive that covered 60 miles the wife and I spotted so many deer we quit trying to count. Over 100 deer easy, bucks of any size,15 fawns& does everywhere. a cool front moved through the day before and took the humidity/dew points down drastically. If I can pick a day like that when I can actually hunt that will be a fun day of deer watching. Found a spot that used to be pasture ground that is now 40 acres of soybeans. It`s a slug gun distance away from some of my best bow stands. so yeah I`m jacked up!

Topdogg

Postby Topdogg » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Man all I think about is hunting. I dream every night of being in the woods. My friend says that I have buck fefer. Whatefer it is....it feels good.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:48 am

Six days, then hopefully one of these bucks will walk into my cross hairs.
Attachments
MDGC0134.JPG
MDGC0134.JPG (787.2 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:07 am

resized for RT

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks, now can you tell me how to do that? I've got another really great picture from a different food plot I'd like to post, but I believe it will be the same size. For some reason my edit function isn't working with my photos and I can't get them to resize prior to posting them.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:29 pm

I use "Paint" to resize/ crop pics. I could walk you through it, or simply post it, and I will resize it for you. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:23 am

I've used paint in the past, but for some reason it doesn't want to work. So, here goes I'll post this one and see if you can get it down sized to make it easier to view.
Attachments
MDGC6126.JPG
MDGC6126.JPG (797.52 KiB) Viewed 1450 times

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:46 pm

I have good luck with irfanview it`s a free image editing program. this was resized to 1024x768

Sorry Kel I was here so i took liberty`s on resizing.

RT I`m curious, In Iowa we can`t shoot velvet deer. how solid are those antlers? I imagine they would feel like a spongy piece of wood?
Attachments
rt pic.jpg
rt pic.jpg (662.14 KiB) Viewed 1419 times

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:23 pm

No problem. This is %25 size of original. ;)
MDGC6126b.jpg
MDGC6126b.jpg (149.85 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to General Discussions