Hunting this year with little preparation

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sierra

Re: Hunting this year with little preparation

Postby Sierra » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:52 am

rthomas4 wrote:
The moral of the story? Sometimes, even without any preparation, it all boils down to being in the right place at the right time, when the stars align and it's your lucky day. BTW, I ended up killing 8 deer that year between still hunting and dog hunting.

Also, congratulation on your upcoming marriage, and best wishes for a long and happy life together.

Well I will mind my scent and wind and consider where they have been and where Mike's seen them, and go from there. And thank you for your well wishes :-) We're an interesting pair if you stick to the hunting topic. He prefers to hunt with someone, generally in a blind, so he has company. I, however, prefer to hunt alone. He's a little impatient for my taste. Just between us hehe.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:55 am

Sailfish wrote:The good old days.
Just walking in the woods, looking for a stump to prop down on and shoot a deer.

WHats also great Sierra is the landowner reporting for you.
Mine is a wealth of info, he's been there his whole life and has alot of observations to share.

Good luck.

Congrats btw!

That reminds me of a time I was hunting in central Michigan in an abandoned orchard. I did, in fact, find a stump with a little bit of cover, and it was snowing. Unfortunately, I nodded off. It was cold so I decided I better move to warm back up and wake up, and after a bit of a walk there were deer tracks inside the tracks I had made on my way to the stump. Haha. :-)

I intend to bend Mike's ear. Also for practical information like where the other guy he lets hunt there is going to setup. Generally Mike has told us it's first come first serve on the existing stands. I am always very early. Last year the other guy just hung his own stand. I think I will do the same next year.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:07 am

Woods Walker wrote:Where you been girl??? Good to have you back! Congratulations!

As far as scouting, for the most part if it's ground that you know fairly well, as long as there's no drastic changes in the terrain or habitat (like logging or construction of some sort), things shouldn't really change all that much from year to year.

If I were you I'd make note of what crops are planted in what fields, and CHECK THE MAST CROP! That's probably THE most important thing you can do.

Keep us posted on your progress and don't be a stranger!

Hi Woods! Gotcha. Thank you. And I didn't mean to be remiss, just got wrapped up in work and life and spent less time online. (Mostly because my son took over my computer). But I will stick around. Missed you guys. ;-)

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:14 am

shaman wrote:Welcome back. I was wondering where you'd been. I hope they didn't remove anything important in the surgery. Congrats on getting hitched and don't worry about cutting the honeymoon short.

What this will teach you is what's essential. Cut back everything back to the bare-minimum. The last time I was faced with this situation, I cut out the decoy, the scents, the calls-- everything that was not essential. I saw deer nearly every time I went out, and closed the deal on two.

Thanks, glad to be back. Nothing removed, I had the primary ligament in my hip torn in a few places, got that patched up.

I will keep it simple by advice and by necessity. I will check out your guide to speed scouting today, since I plan to venture out to the property this weekend or next. :-)

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm anticipating a somewhat abbreviated bow season this year as well. My wife is due to have our first child on September 16th, and our bow opener is October 1st! I'll say this is probably the only reason I've ever had that made me happy to miss hunting time.

However, I know that with a tag in my pocket I'll just HAVE to get out. Luckily, I hunt a small patch of timber with limited stand options. The deer are either moving through on any given day or they aren't. I'm going to try my best to sneak out and get a couple cameras up and maybe one new stand. I'm thinking the minimalistic approach is going to be my best bet this year.

I do have a stand I only sat in twice last year. That's where I think I'll make my first sit this season.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:14 pm

Sierra, nice to see you back, glad everything worked out well. :)

Deebz, congrats! ( hope that Brittle Bone thing plays no active role)

And best wishes for a good hunting season to you both. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

First_Gen

Postby First_Gen » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:46 pm

I know the feeling, I would say find the 'hub' of deer activity (intersecting deer trails, rub line, and usually you will find a faint buck trail on the outside). The food source is almost always close and water is geographically easy to get to, even if it is a distance. Then figure out your ambush spots to hunt different winds (make a small brush blind, trim some lanes) and consider approaches in. Takes about an hour to two hours if you know the land a pair of pruning sheers. Beyond that, you may not know the times of deer activety besides the basics, but you are in the right spot to make a shot.

Have fun, be safe, and congrats!!

MZS

Postby MZS » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:28 am

Actually, this year I am almost more prepared than usual. I built two natural blinds on trails I scouted out last winter on public land and scouted out another spot this summer on more public land. Got some screens (shields) made with natural materials put up to hide behind on several tree stands on our property and have a nice box stand ready for gun hunting. I think the $200+ a week grocery bills to feed my 4 teenagers have been motivating me to get more deer in the freezer! Now I need to get out and start shooting my bow - that is a 2+ week endeavor just to get needed strength back. Sept 14th is the start up by us so I have exactly one month - better start shooting today!

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:02 am

Deebz wrote:I'm anticipating a somewhat abbreviated bow season this year as well. My wife is due to have our first child on September 16th, and our bow opener is October 1st! I'll say this is probably the only reason I've ever had that made me happy to miss hunting time.

However, I know that with a tag in my pocket I'll just HAVE to get out. Luckily, I hunt a small patch of timber with limited stand options. The deer are either moving through on any given day or they aren't. I'm going to try my best to sneak out and get a couple cameras up and maybe one new stand. I'm thinking the minimalistic approach is going to be my best bet this year.

I do have a stand I only sat in twice last year. That's where I think I'll make my first sit this season.

Congrats, Deebz! Certainly a very good reason to lose some time out in the woods. I hope fortune smiles upon you however.

First_Gen

Postby First_Gen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:05 pm

MZS wrote:Actually, this year I am almost more prepared than usual. I built two natural blinds on trails I scouted out last winter on public land and scouted out another spot this summer on more public land. Got some screens (shields) made with natural materials put up to hide behind on several tree stands on our property and have a nice box stand ready for gun hunting. I think the $200+ a week grocery bills to feed my 4 teenagers have been motivating me to get more deer in the freezer! Now I need to get out and start shooting my bow - that is a 2+ week endeavor just to get needed strength back. Sept 14th is the start up by us so I have exactly one month - better start shooting today!

Nothing beats a public land sweet spot that you can tell no one messes with. I found one this year that I will most certainly hunt...the approach is across a river and up a gulley about a half mile. Go where no one else wnats to couldn't be more true.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions