What to choose for a beginner

dollarbill300

What to choose for a beginner

Postby dollarbill300 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:58 pm

I was thinking about getting a trail camera. This is only my second year hunting. What would you guys recommend for a new hunter as a good camera to start with. I will be hunting on public land(WMA), so hopefully it would get stolen by someone. I don't think I would want to go over $150.

Woods Walker

Re: What to choose for a beginner

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Uh...did I read that wrong, or do you WANT someone to steal it??

If you do you won't be disappointed, as it's usually only a matter of time before they're stolen or damaged.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:01 am

The response I left last night did not post, so here goes again.

I definitely DO NOT want it to be stolen. Typing mistake on my part. Now that would be funny if I just bought the camera intending for it to be stolen. This would be my first scouting camera, so I don't think I would want to spend more than $150. My only concern is that I hunt on public land, and I am worried that someone will steal it. Is there any way to secure it better to a tree to deter any would be thieves?

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:32 am

There are protective metal boxes with cable locks for various makes and models of trail cameras. There are also arms that allow the camera to be mounted well off the ground and still allow the camera to be angled towards the ground and area you'd like them to cover. There are plenty of cameras available for under $150.00, and most could be hung in either of the manner described. The biggest question you need answered is what are your expectations at to the quality of the pictures....... do you want daytime color, 24 hour color, adjustable time lapse settings, long battery life, and extended card memory, and how often do you plan to change the sd cards. Do you plan to view the pictures in the woods, or do you want to take them home to view them on your computer? Once you have determined what your intent is and how you want to utilize the camera, then consider the price ranges and what's available with the features you want and if they fall into that price category. Moultrie makes a pretty decent line of cameras that start out relatively inexpensive and go up in price, depending on the features. Cuddeback makes the best camera on the market, but they don't have one that's in the $150.00 and less price range. Stay away from Wildgame Nation, and Wildlife Innovations, beware of Stealth Cam, Tasco, and Burris.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:57 am

I have the bushnell trophy (three of them) very satisfied with them. They do make a security box that can be lagged to the tree. It is small and takes AA batteries. 4 batteries will last a long time. I had a moultrie but it was big and took D batteries and only lasted about a month.
Doug

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:59 am

I tried a Bushnell, once. It lasted 3 days. I took it back and exchanged it for a Moultrie that is still working. That was about 4 years ago.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:24 pm

dollarbill300 wrote:I was thinking about getting a trail camera. This is only my second year hunting. What would you guys recommend for a new hunter as a good camera to start with. I will be hunting on public land(WMA), so hopefully it would get stolen by someone. I don't think I would want to go over $150.

Your going to get a lot of varied opinions on this subject. Do some on line research, make a list of the features you want the camera to have, narrow down the list of cameras with those features that matches your price point. Make an informed decision.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:44 pm

Everybody will have a cam they like better than another kind of cam. I have two stealth cams and have never had any problems with either one of them and they take great pictures. One was $90 on sale and the other was a new model last year and was like $135. Just my two cents.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:11 am

Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up purchasing a moultrie lx-30ir. I was at my local sporting goods store and they had it on sale for 59.99. I went home, looked it up online, found alot of positive reviews from people that had it. It will do what I would like it to do at a price point I wanted since this is my first one, and I am a little worried about someone possibly taking it. The only thing I am worried about now is how do I secure it to a tree. Someone at the store told me to go to lo**s or hd and get a cable, and wrap that around the camera with a lock. How would you guys do it?

Return to Scouting Cameras