how can i find the bucks?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
flag155

how can i find the bucks?

Postby flag155 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:48 am

i hunted all year long last season and all i saw was two doe. I see all kinds of sign, tracks, tree rubs, trails, etc. but i hardly ever see a deer while i am hunting.
what do you guys look for when you are scouting a new spot. should i be looking for natural foods such as acorns or what. what are the best food sources to look for in a good hunting spot. i have a mineral site which they have used should i put a trail cam by it to see what is using. i am new to this guys so please tell me anything that will help me be successful.

MZS

Re: how can i find the bucks?

Postby MZS » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:25 pm

It sounds like you may be alerting the deer in some way since you found a lot of good sign. If you are in the hunting area a lot, you leave scent and perhaps move them out without you even knowing it. They can learn to only use the area at night. Or perhaps they are getting your scent - are you always downwind from their trails when you hunt. Perhaps post some more info about how you hunt. In a tree stand, on the ground? Off a trail? Private or public land? Big woods or agricultural? The state you hunt in? Is this gun or bow hunting?

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Food is always the catalyst. Without food, not only will deer not move, they usually are not close. The key to scouting any new territory is identifying the food source and then how they get to it. If you are seeing lots of tracks and no deer, it sounds as if they are nocturnal. If so, nothing you can do about it. It would help to know how much land you are talking about and what sort of habitat you have. Understand that as food sources change, so do deer habits and travel. It may well be you are seeing old tracks from before the season.

Just this morning, I shot 145 pictures of deer behind my house. By the time deer season here opens, they will have moved as woodland food sources become available. Fortunately, I know where they go. But that is an example of deer movement as the food changes. In a couple weeks, as he shedshis velvet, this young, 2.5-year old will be almost a quarter mile away. Ihope hemakes it through the season. He should be a dandy next year.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Here is another real nice 2.5-year old. There are about 35-deer feeding on freshly mowed fields and shrubs behind the house. As the early persimmons drop in about three weeks and the whiteoak acorns in about five weeks, all of them will shift to the woods. This year, in addition to mast and fruit, the green browse is as lush as I have ever seen it. I am predicting a record setting kill this year. I have about 10-does on my llist.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Note that both deer and turkey are using the same food source-different parts-the deer eating the browse, the turkeys eating the dropped seeds. Very common this time of year.

flag155

Postby flag155 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:47 am

i dont have a tree stand or blind but i am planning on getting a tree stand. i almost always forgot about scent cover but it will not happen this year. i have a mineral site out were i saw the sign and all that is left now is a pretty decent hole. i uese i will pay more attention to the wind and scent control. i will also get me a tree stand. how would you guys go about putting a trail cam on a hill side?

MZS

Postby MZS » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:42 am

flag155 wrote:i dont have a tree stand or blind but i am planning on getting a tree stand. i almost always forgot about scent cover but it will not happen this year. i have a mineral site out were i saw the sign and all that is left now is a pretty decent hole. i uese i will pay more attention to the wind and scent control. i will also get me a tree stand. how would you guys go about putting a trail cam on a hill side?

Rather than scent cover, you want to be as scent-free as possible. Clothes should be washed in deer hunters soap or at a minimum, a scent-free laundry detergent. Store clothes in a scent-free location and hang them in the fresh air as often as possible. Wash yourself with scent free soap, either deer hunters soap or as I have done in the past, use a little scent-free laundry detergent. Spray yourself with a scent-killer type product - this is an odor free product. Then, as an option, you can store your clothes with pine boughs or foliage native to your hunting area to give them a natural (but not attention drawing) scent. Hunt downwind from your trail. Many if not most will say the best scent on yourself is no scent. But some scent from natural foliage will not ever hurt you IMHO.

I do not like "cover" scents that are applied to your blind or stand that have deer scent in them as they will quickly allow a deer to zero in on you, especially if you are hunting from a ground blind. I have used EverCalm which has deer scent, and have found it to work, but found it best to be applied away from my blind with extra care (double bagged in plastic) to keep any trace off one's self. Last year I had a huge buck sneak up on me twice when I had some of this product on my blind - both times it seemed to know exactly where I was - and when a large mature buck is staring at you 20 ft away, you ain't gonna breath twice much less pull a bow back! I am not a fan of other "cover" scents like spray products of corn, acorns, earth, etc. although other hunters might have had some success.

You can use other attractant scents with deer urine, scent gland, etc, but you should research them thoroughly first. And again, apply away from your stand, not on your stand or self.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:00 pm

Scent control broken down.
1-Shower and wash hair in scent free soap before going to the woods.
2- Wash all clothes especially hat in scent free detergent. Sun dry if possible, if not with no scent cloth or wrinkle thing.
3- Scrub boots or shoes with scent free soap. I wear tennis shoes most of the time and have no problems. Forget the rubber boot myth.
4- Hang stand or hunt stand with a favorable wind when possible. Getting high does not keep deer from smelling you, it just makes your shot more difficult. Climb only as high as the cover dictates.

Good luck.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:31 am

Locate the does and you'll find the bucks! You just have to be patient and willing to wait on 'em to show, but they will be there.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

First_Gen

Postby First_Gen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:09 pm

I am a convert of Carbon Synergy for scent elimination.

But the basics stick, wash up before you go out with scent free soap/shampoo. Use a towel you have also washed the scent from. I have bought them specifically for this purpose. I also use a scent free deodorant. I always store my cloths in a scent free container, in a larger ziploc bag. Leave an open box of baking soda in there. Wash everything, I mean everything in a scent free, UV free wash. That means, gloves, socks, hat, underware, under layers, pack, etc. All of it. I also use a carbon bath. Then air dry it, I am not a fan of putting all that hard work into a dryer with an "earth scent" dryer sheet. Take the extra time to do it right.

Point of mention, spray down your car/truck seat with carbon or scent elimination spray. Even your gas pedal, brake pedal, floor, and steering wheel. I also am not a fan of any added "earth" or "autumn" additives in those sprays. Honestly, if you can do this in your hunting environment, role around in the dirt and leaves for a minute.

Besides all that,still hunt the wind. I recommend getting in as early as possible, and doing a simulated still hunt to your location. That meaning, eyes up and feel the ground and underbrush by your feet, not your eyes. Take it slow, then slow down some more. I get into some pretty tough areas doing this, not alerting game of my presence.

Have fun and be safe!

Next

Return to General Discussions