New Deer Hunting Rules

Weekend Wodosmen

New Deer Hunting Rules

Postby Weekend Wodosmen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:07 am

What does everyone think of the new rules this year? 1 early doe tag and 3 either sex tag, October statewide antlerless muzzleloader season (replacing the extra weekend of gun), and a rework of the deer zones.

kellory

Re: New Deer Hunting Rules

Postby kellory » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:51 pm

i have not seen this year's rulebook for Ohio yet. So I could not tell you. :o
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:10 pm

I do like the change from ending 30' after sunset as opposed to at sunset for deer gun season, but have reservations concerning the early blackpowder season. Lots of leaves on the trees at that time...could be a problem with seeing beyond your target.
Also, I think it's really going to stir up the deer during bowseason.
We shall see.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Weekend Wodosmen

Postby Weekend Wodosmen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Ohio farms wrote:I do like the change from ending 30' after sunset as opposed to at sunset for deer gun season, but have reservations concerning the early blackpowder season. Lots of leaves on the trees at that time...could be a problem with seeing beyond your target.
Also, I think it's really going to stir up the deer during bowseason.
We shall see.

Yeah I have to agree with you. At least there will be a few weeks of rest before the rut really gets going! I personally don't usually gun hunt so I wasn't too worried about the hours changing, I just know it is pretty dark a half hour after sunset that you wouldn't be able to shoot a bow let alone a gun, so that is a little scary! I might do some gun hunting this year though since I am going to be filming my hunts, so it will depend on how the bow season goes!

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:29 pm

You'd be surprised at how much light lingers after official "sunset"... It doesn't actually get too dark to see until awhile after the official sunset times. IL has been a 30 minute before and after sunrise and sunset hunting hours rule since I can ever remember. I don't see this as being a safety issue at all assuming people are actually paying attention to the time.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:21 pm

The original rule,as I understand it, was "can see to can't see" but some idiots decided, this meant they could hunt all night under street lights. So now the Nanny State, has to tell you how late, is too late. and have no doubt, they do enforce that time limit. I wear the boots of a man who had shells in his gun three minutes beyond that time limit, and it cost him his gun, a large fine, and he no longer hunts. All because he got lost when hunting with a group on new ground. he got turned around, and could not find his truck.He sold his three season coat, his boots, and his gloves and hat, all used that one day only. The only man he saw, he approached. It turned out to be a game warden. The only good to come from this incident, is the game warden helped him find his truck.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:49 am

Weekend Wodosmen wrote:What does everyone think of the new rules this year? 1 early doe tag and 3 either sex tag, October statewide antlerless muzzleloader season (replacing the extra weekend of gun), and a rework of the deer zones.

I have to sit down and really read the rules. I have skimmed some highlights in Ohio Game and Fish. I am a little disappointed about the loss of the extra gun season only because I am so limited on when I can hunt this year, the extra gun weekend would have helped. But, since my ultimate goal is to have the tools I need to hunt ALL seasons eventually, I guess I better get it in gear after I am done spending on this honeymoon stuff!
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:24 pm

What tools do you still need? ;)

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:36 am

kellory wrote:What tools do you still need? ;)

Well I still need a new bow, and still thinking crossbow. And I have used a muzzleloader, but I have never owned one, so I need to pick one up and work with it. All in due time. :-)
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:34 am

Sierra wrote:
kellory wrote:What tools do you still need? ;)

Well I still need a new bow, and still thinking crossbow. And I have used a muzzleloader, but I have never owned one, so I need to pick one up and work with it. All in due time. :-)

I do still have my Barnett Deamon crossbow for sale. It is what I have hunted with for the last several years. Let me know if you wish to see it.;)

Next

Return to Ohio