First picture with scouting camera

dollarbill300

First picture with scouting camera

Postby dollarbill300 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:24 pm

I put up my camera last Thursday and today I went to switch out the sd cards and see if I got any pictures. I hunt on a wma and found a large field that has been planted with some type of forage by the state of SC. I found tracks all over the field. So, I placed my camera about 10 feet inside the edge of the field facing back towards the field. I only got 1 good full picture. I will try and post here. Today, I found a trail about 70 yards behind where I had the camera, that leads back to the open field, but has thick, high tall grass on the opposite side of the trail from where I moved the camera today. Any suggestions on where I should look around the edges of this field that I am missing. Also, if your camera is up for 1 week, what would you consider for a good amount of pictures for that time if it's a decent area?

Sorry the picture is so big. Can't seem to make it smaller.
Attachments
MDGC0009.JPG
MDGC0009.JPG (270.9 KiB) Viewed 1613 times

Retranger

Re: First picture with scouting camera

Postby Retranger » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:43 pm

Don't forget your camera is only good out to about 40 feet. If you have a field scan mode on your camera use that mode for the field. I would look for the trail where the deer are entering the field and set the camera up looking back into the woods and down the trail. Setting up the camera perpendicular to the trail will get you a lot of blank pics unless you have a super fast shutter.
Doug

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:22 pm

If I may assist?
MDGC0009.JPG
MDGC0009.JPG (32.23 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:09 am

dollarbill, where are you located in SC, and which WMA are you trying to hunt? Consider placing your cameras and choosing your stand location where the food sources and the water sources are close together.

I'm in Hampton, but I don't hunt the WMAs here, watch out for camera thieves, wherever you hang 'em. I'd also suggest hanging them from a branch overhead so that your camera isn't easily spotted by other folks. Look for locations where a heavily traveled game trail is paralleled by a much fainter trail, and place the camera so that it covers the faint trail. That's the one the bucks travel.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:04 am

Kellory, thanks for fixing the size of the picture. For future reference, how did you do that?

Retranger, I put out some attractant to hopefully get them to stop so the camera can get some still photos.

rthomas4, I am located upstate, in clover. Just over the buster boyd bridge on Lake Wylie. I hunt about an hour south of where I live. The WMA is sumpter national forest. The field I found has a type of forage that has been planted in it, I just don't know what it is. It's not regular grass, and I found a lot of tracks all over the field. There is a large river that borders this property and is not far from this field. I moved my camera back about 75 yards from where I had it initially. I found a trail that breaks off from the field, and placed the camera back at the end of the trail. At the end of the trail there is some really tall thick grass. I know the deer are in this area, but trying to find the travel path is what has me confused. It's not like I have found a worn out path that is easily definable. I was thinking about putting my tree stand on the border of the field, facing the field.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:51 pm

We're about as far apart as is possible, since you're almost in NC, and Hampton County border's the Savannah River on one side.

Down here the state plants soybeans, peas, and corn on the WMA lands, along with some turnips and brassicus. Sounds like maybe up there they plant millet, sorghum and native grasses.

If you can hang a stand so that you can watch the fields, but keep your scent from drifting toward the water, you should be in a good spot. Maybe pick out several locations for different wind directions so you can keep watching the same basic areas.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:18 pm

rthomas4,

The majority of the tracks were going parallel with the way the lake runs. Right through the middle of the field is a small row of bushes. There is a small cluster of trees with berries on them with an area with a lot of deer tracks right in front of it. The only spot I have not had a chance to look yet was on the opposite side of the field. Next week when I go to swap out the sd cards, I will check out that area. Thanks for the advice and good luck with your season.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:47 am

[quote="dollarbill300"]Kellory, thanks for fixing the size of the picture. For future reference, how did you do that?

Just grab your laptop screen in both hands, and SQUEEEZE! :lol:

Just KIDDING! Stop that! hey! Stop that! a little help here please? :shock:

alright, I give! I give!

save your photo in your pics, then rt click and open it with paint. top left, you will see resize, click on it. it will open showing horizontal and vertical at 100. that is the size of your pic as it is now. delete that number, and insert the percentage number you want of your original pic size.. your new pic is %25 of the original. (or just 25) the pic will resize to the new size when you hit OK.
Now, go top left of paint and find the PAINT button,( it is used to open, save or print.) click it and the window will open, scroll down to SAVE AS,then choose which format to save your pic.( I used JPEG, as it works well here. ) it will go to your pics page, then scroll down to the bottom to FILE NAME. rename the pic in some way, and it will keep both copies, if you do not rename it, it will offer to replace the existing pic with the new one of the same name. (so if the pic was named "first buck" I might add the letter B and the new pic would be "first buck B, and the original pic would be untouched. You would then have both sizes.
Keep in mind, that a pic shrunk looks fine, but the same small pic resized large again, looses crispness. it will LOOK blown up. Any questions? feel free to ask. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Here is a link to a free resizing program you can download. Have used it on T&TH and it works fine. http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-soft ... e-resizer/
Doug

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:42 am

tinypics is also free, but you have to figure out which link to copy and paste to the different sites you want to post it in. Not all of the sites will accept the image link that is designed for posting to social pages. Also, if you have used photobucket, you can't establish a permanent account with tinypics, since it will automatically link to photobucket, based on your IP address.

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras