870 supermag

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
FrankRizzo11

870 supermag

Postby FrankRizzo11 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:42 pm

I have a smooth barrel 870 super mag express. Can someone let me know if this is true. Use a full choke with buckshot and an improved cylinder choke with slugs. Slugs need an open end so as they do not get deformed when leaving the barrel. Buckshot needs a tight choke to hold the pattern together for a longer distance.

rthomas4

Re: 870 supermag

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:33 pm

I don't shoot slugs out of anything but a modified fixed choke Mossberg 500, and then only if I'm going to the Federal WMA where buckshot isn't legal.

As for a full choke and buckshot, I'd suggest you pattern a couple of brands and sizes of buckshot before deciding to use that full choke tube. I have better results with my Remington 1100, Beretta AL391, Browning A5, and Mossberg 935 shooting either 00 or #1s (you might also experiment with 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2") with a modified choke tube or fixed modified barrel. The Berretta and the Browning prefer the #1s ( in a pinch I can get away with 0), while the others prefer the 00 Off course, I'm also hunting deer in swamps and thick woods with hounds running them, so a more open pattern is needed for running deer (especially in thick cover).

I've only been hunting this way since I was 9, and I'll be 60 next week; and I've always patterned shotguns just as I pattern my rifles to see what they shoot best. BTW, I've killed well over 200 deer in the last 51 years, and most of them were with a shotgun in front of dogs.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, , ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL still flying the Stars and Bars!

Return to Guns and Ammo