870 supermag

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
FrankRizzo11

870 supermag

Postby FrankRizzo11 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:42 pm

I have a smooth barrel 870 super mag express. Can someone let me know if this is true. Use a full choke with buckshot and an improved cylinder choke with slugs. Slugs need an open end so as they do not get deformed when leaving the barrel. Buckshot needs a tight choke to hold the pattern together for a longer distance.

rthomas4

Re: 870 supermag

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:33 pm

I don't shoot slugs out of anything but a modified fixed choke Mossberg 500, and then only if I'm going to the Federal WMA where buckshot isn't legal.

As for a full choke and buckshot, I'd suggest you pattern a couple of brands and sizes of buckshot before deciding to use that full choke tube. I have better results with my Remington 1100, Beretta AL391, Browning A5, and Mossberg 935 shooting either 00 or #1s (you might also experiment with 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2") with a modified choke tube or fixed modified barrel. The Berretta and the Browning prefer the #1s ( in a pinch I can get away with 0), while the others prefer the 00 Off course, I'm also hunting deer in swamps and thick woods with hounds running them, so a more open pattern is needed for running deer (especially in thick cover).

I've only been hunting this way since I was 9, and I'll be 60 next week; and I've always patterned shotguns just as I pattern my rifles to see what they shoot best. BTW, I've killed well over 200 deer in the last 51 years, and most of them were with a shotgun in front of dogs.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to Guns and Ammo