Suggestion on how to get ready for the hunt?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
CabinOutdoors

Suggestion on how to get ready for the hunt?

Postby CabinOutdoors » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:59 pm

I was wondering what all I should do to get ready for the hunt? How early should I put a trail cam out? Put corn by stand? What brands of scent should I use? Any more tips please let me know!

Stephen

Deebz

Re: Suggestion on how to get ready for the hunt?

Postby Deebz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:16 am

Wow man... great questions, but what you are looking for cannot be answered easily.

Especially since the answers you need are going to be very different depending on the local laws as well as the specifics of your hunting property.

Trail cams: now, or as soon as you can.

Scent: Most of the guys who post regularly will tell you that it's better to try to be as scent free as possible rather than trying to attract deer with store bought scents.

I can't speak to putting out corn, it's illegal here in Illinios.

You should try the search function in the forum. If you are wondering about something specific, search for that item. Everything you've asked about (and much much more) has been discussed at great length in other posts already. Browse around for awhile and see if you end up with more specific questions.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

CabinOutdoors

Postby CabinOutdoors » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:48 am

Ok thanks man! I hunt in Illinois too. If you would like you should check out my youtube channel, its all hunting and fishing. Im going to start posting more videos now that hunting is starting and I am trying to get more popular! http://www.youtube.com/user/CabinOutdoors

Stephen

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Sorry to bust your balls; but if you don't know the answers to the questions you asked.........especially if you don't even know the laws of the state you're hunting in, WHY would anyone want to watch your youtube posts???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:13 pm

rthomas I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doug

CabinOutdoors

Postby CabinOutdoors » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Because this is my first year deer hunting. My channel is mainly fishing and shooting shotguns and goose hunting. Im going to start deer hunting this year and want to know whats the best way

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:53 pm

First year deer hunting and you want to learn about deer hunting? GREAT!

Here's my advice for a novice......

Forget the trail cams. Forget the bait. Forget the scent lures (which don't work about 95% of the time anyway).

Here's what you do.

LEARN your ground. By that I mean not just the terrain, but the vegetation, soil types (upland, riparian, etc.) and most importantly....the trees. OAK trees specifically. (If nothing else, learn how to tell the difference between a white oak and a red oak.....and it ain't color! The DEER sure as heck know, and they also know WHICH oaks have the best and most mast!)

If you know where the deer are, when and how they move, and what they feed on during varying conditions then you don't need any of that other junk you mentioned in your opening statement. The trail cams can be helpful tools IF YOU ALREADY KNOW THE STUFF I MENTIONED, but to use them in lieu of the basics then you will never be all that successful a deer hunter.

Get yourself some aerial photos and topo maps of your ground AND that of the surrounding area. Then get a plant identification book and carry it with you during your ALL YEAR scouting trips. If you see something that you don't understand, then take a pic of it or a sample and find out. The more you know about the habitat that the deer live in....and that includes not only deer but EVERYTHING else from insects to rocks....then the better the deer hunter you will be.

We are part time hunters hunting full time deer. We can never be as in sync with the woods as they are, but the more we are the better it is for us.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. I would be more than happy to answer them as best I can.
Last edited by Woods Walker on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 pm

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:53 pm We are part time hunters hunting full time deer. We can never be as in sync with the woods as they are,

could not have said it better ...
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:09 pm

To add to Woods Walker;s comments; get a copy of your state's DNR regs, before you do anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

CabinOutdoors

Postby CabinOutdoors » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:56 pm

Ok thank you all for the info and advice!

Return to General Discussions