First picture with scouting camera

shadow357x2

Re: First picture with scouting camera

Postby shadow357x2 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Well, I live in Aiken County and hunt mostly Orangeburg county that we have had for 19 years. On my least active camera from june to oct when they are out I get an average count of about 150 per week, most active in the swamp I get closer to 650 per week. Getting ready to go in the morning due to the fact that this front has just moved through and the moon phase coupled with the sunrise and sunset are in synce. Had to call in sick to work tommorow because trigger finger is aching..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Overkill? Whats that? dead is dead.

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Almost forgot, I used to look at all the pictures and drool over the deer but anymore I use it as a tool to compare feed time versus weather and solunar tables. Its not an exact science but it works for me. When you get yoiur pics and view them compare it to the solunar tables and the weather conditions along wtih the feed times and you get a general idea as to when to get in the woods.
Attachments
photobomb.jpg
Talk about a photobomb.....
photobomb.jpg (202.09 KiB) Viewed 870 times
velvet1.jpg
check out the odd brow tine, still in velvet here
velvet1.jpg (442.64 KiB) Viewed 870 times
longshot1.jpg
ssame deer after dropping his velvet
longshot1.jpg (211.24 KiB) Viewed 870 times

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:43 pm

I've lived in Aiken, Santee, and Elloree. Orangeburg County is one of the best counties in the state for deer. Did you see the pictures of the Lexington County college student and the 4 big bucks he killed last weekend in Orangeburg County? I used to hunt private land between the Santee State Park,, Highway 6, and Two Chop Road, just outside of Elloree, and used to average 12 to 20 bucks per season, of course that was running them with dogs, and way before we ever heard about trail cameras. We had about 1700 acres with a little under 500 of it used for agriculture, but we did plant food plots and we planted money crops in alternating strips so we had dove, ducks, quail, turkeys and plenty of deer.

Good luck, those pictures indicate you've got some pretty good bucks.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:40 pm

We have land oof Cope and have the luxury of having swamp, pines and hardwood mixed. Its been a long road to get the quality we have but its been worth it. We changed our stratagy 10 yrs ago and started planting for 3 years out i.e. feed the babies well and they will grow well, now its just a matter of maintaining now that we have the quality we want. I actually have passed in this buck twice but if he shows up in the morning he might have a bad day and have to take a dirt nap.I have noticed that we have an overabundance of does this year so we will have to start taking them out to get the ratio back close to right, but thats ok because we are mainly meat hunters anyway and there is only 3 of us on 815 acres too.
I didnt mean to hijack this thread so we will get back to dollarbill's questions and try to guide him as best as we can.

Being that you are hunting WMA land watch your camera(s) an camo them well so they dont grow legs..

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 am

Thanks to everyone that posted tips on how to re-size a photo. I used the photo editing program on my mac, but the resized photo didn't show up adjusted on here. Shadow, I wish I could get around 100 photo's per week. The only good photo I got last week was the one I posted. All the shots were at night, and I could not make out anything clearly. One had something far in the background within the brush, which was very difficult to make out. The others, I don't know what triggered the camera. Right now, I am moving the camera around different spots by this field to try and figure out the path these deer are taking. There are no visible paths to identify. For security, I have a padlock on the camera with a python cable wrapped around the camera, running through the padlock. So, if someone is going to steal it, they will need bolt cutters. I am going out there today to switch out the sd cards and move the camera. If I get any good pictures, I will post later today.

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:38 am

Well the deer gods must have favored me today Shot him at 6:46 this morning .300 wsm with 165 gr hornady sst with h380 powder, 219 lbs and 10 pt. So the star of the pictures above wont be making any more appearance on the camera but will have quite a showing at the dinner table. :D :D :D

Dollarbill, you may very well be running thm off unintentionally by being in there so much, try to lt the camera sit for a week or two. Also pre and post season scouting will benifit you well, that way you arent in their house so much and gives you a better idea as to whats going on. Trails are easy to find once you learn what exactly to look for.. After you get used to them they start looking like interstates. Good luck with your adventures.
Attachments
10pt.jpg
10pt.jpg (396.47 KiB) Viewed 827 times

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:20 pm

I currently have 4 cameras out, and normally change the SD cards about every 3 weeks. I changed them this morning and one camera had about 70 pics, one had well over 300, one had about 500, and the last one had about 45 or so. Sometimes they will vary and where one had only a few this time, it might have the most the next time. I only have about 78 acres, so I get a good many pictures of the same deer on several of the cameras, often on the same day or night, as they move from one food plot to the next. Sometimes I might get a picture of a certain buck many times during the season, and then there's the occasional buck that only shows up once on camera, and I might never see him again. I've also killed bucks that I never had a picture of on any camera, especially during the rut, when they move a good bit.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Shadow, congrats..nice deer. Hopefully I get one this year. Went out today to switch out the cards and see what I had and.........nothing, zip, nada, the big bagel! I only go once a week to get the sd card. The reason I am switching it around is because it is a pretty large field and I am trying to find which way they are moving. The area the camera was in for the last week I know is no good. So, one positive for the day, I ruled out an area. I moved it back closer to the field by an open area that had alot of tracks. I took a picture of the field and will try to post it here so you guys can see part of the area I would like to hunt. Today, I placed the camera close to where I took this picture, facing just about the same direction.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (190.79 KiB) Viewed 794 times

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:47 am

Without really seeing the whole situation , I think I would look at the areas circled for possibilities. I see quite a few low hanging branches that some bucks would use. Most of the bigger buck will pretty much stay holed up for right now. You will have to go in and get them, especially after the rut. I have a feeling that this years rut may be a little early from what I am already seeing here in this area. look for the tore up trees, our deer on this property love the holly trees but I would imagine that they are like us , some like fords and some like chevys. When you find one try not to disturb it or the immediate area around it because he will break camp on you in a heartbeat. Also look for the deer doo-doo around an area that is well covered and the grass and other greenery is mashed down, same as rubs and scrapes back out and dont disturb and get a good ambush spot that you can oversee the spots without getting on their trail. Also remember what I have said may or may not work for you, if you were in this area I would be more than happy to get you started on your way. If you have an arial shot of the place send it to me and Ill be happy to look at it and see what we can come up with, actually a topo map would be even better.
Attachments
field.JPG
field.JPG (178.87 KiB) Viewed 760 times

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Shadow,

Thanks for the advice. It's funny that you marked those 2 areas. I found several trees along the field edge in those areas I was thinking about putting my stand. There's more open field on the other side of the small bushes in the picture, and to the right of where I took the picture. About 20 yards to the right of where I took the picture I found a circle in the grass that was matted down, just next to another row of bushes that runs up to the right. It looks like the deer are eating berries off of some of those bushes as well. Where can I find a topo map?

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras