Scouting and ran into big buck

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
walpack

Scouting and ran into big buck

Postby walpack » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi all i hunt in the biggest still natural wildlife areas in NJ and its all public grounds! Please read carefully, i setup a scout camera back in early June in a area i picked out on this mountain, the end of July i went to go retrieve my SD card and put in a new one. The second time i went back which was yesterday i took my tree stand to setup and leave there, i was walking up hill and i stopped..waited...i see movement so i kneel down with the tree stand on my back all hunched up. I look without moving my head and this huge rack is moving towards me, gets 20 or 25 yards or so, he is grazing as he walks down the gully...never saw me... :o. He came right were i had the camera setup and off the run, i set the camera up off a big run. i snuck up the hill and set up my stand and coverd it with weeds and grass i uprooted. My camera ran out of batteries saw i got no new photos since the firs time. The photos below are since the first time i setup the camera. SEPTEMBER 28 season opens for me!!! Will i see the buck i saw in person again in a few weeks?
Last edited by walpack on Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sailfish

Re: Scouting and ran into big buck

Postby Sailfish » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:39 am

CANT SEE THE PICS TOOOOOOO LARGE.
As to your question. maybe and a good chance yes.
Around my parts they hold to their feeding patterns pretty religiously well into October (we have a much later rut).
If yours don't get alot of pressure, and a bunch hunters in the woods hanging stands, checking cameras :D, they may hold to that pattern through end of sept. Once they figure out though hunting season is on though, they'll go nocturnal.
Heck you may have stumbled on his bedding area or close enough to it that it won't matter. You might get to bang him feeding midday one afternoon. So many variables here. I'd just go ahead and hang your stand and hunt it!!! Let us know how it goes (FYI i'd not go back anymore until opener)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

walpack

Postby walpack » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:50 pm

Sure will keep you updated, and i doubt anybody was there because the deer have been using that area for few months now.I did leave my tree stand there and covered it with grass and ferns that smell like dirt, i was walking up the hill with my stand wen i bumped into that buck there was also a small creek between us, i think deer like small creeks running down the valleys. I am now going to switch to rage broad heads. I washed my hunting cloths in DIRT DETERGENT just now. I will repost the images in a bit.

walpack

Postby walpack » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:00 pm

There is a second buck in the backround, Bigwoods were i hunt. Halloween is wen the rut starts.
Attachments
Valley.jpg
Valley.jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 994 times
uu.jpg
uu.jpg (61.22 KiB) Viewed 996 times

walpack

Postby walpack » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:44 pm

Ok well saturday i could not make it in the morning so i had to settle for afternoon hunt, got in the stand at 2 50 pm and waited till dark and around 630 pm i seen three does go by 30 yards, let them pass.

Return to General Discussions