.44 Magnum

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
wdgocards15

.44 Magnum

Postby wdgocards15 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:25 am

I hunt on my grandparents land, about 80 acres, but there are a lot of houses on the north and south sides of the property and cowfields to the east. I prefer not to bow hunt because of the heat and mosquitos, so obviously I use a gun. As much as I would love to use a .308 or other high powered rifles, the .44 magnum is perfect for hunters who want a high powered round that wont travel hundreds of yards. I use my .44 carbine mostly, and it will easily take a deer down close to 150 yards.

rthomas4

Re: .44 Magnum

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:58 am

I don't bowhunt, because of physical problems; but isn't the heat and the mosquito problem still there, whether you bowhunt or use a rifle???????????????

That's why modern man invented short sleeves and the greatest invention of all time...........the ThermaCELL!!!!!!!!!! I deer hunt from August 15th to Jan 1st, with heat and mosquitoes practically the entire season, on about 78 acres with a .308 and sometimes even a .300WSM, .30-06, or a .270. One side of my property is next to a subdivision that marks the city limits, and all of my frontage has houses and a major highway, I just don't shoot in those directions.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

wdgocards15

Postby wdgocards15 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:35 am

I am in the military, so hunting season is extremely limited now days...I try to make a trip home every november for a couple weeks to get some hunting in. Thankfully the bugs are gone by then. In TN, bow season starts in september I believe and gun starts closer to thanksgiving, with a couple weeks of black powder in between

wdgocards15

Postby wdgocards15 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:43 am

[quote="rthomas4"]I don't bowhunt, because of physical problems; but isn't the heat and the mosquito problem still there, whether you bowhunt or use a rifle???????????????

Sorry I should have explained that. Bow season starts when it is hot outside....gun doesnt start until late november....and it gets cold there.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:13 am

OK, now I understand. You see, here in the SC lowcountry, we don't have separate seasons for bow, blackpowder, or rifle; and our season opens August 15th and ends on January 1st. We have some cold weather occasionally, but many years we are running the AC on Christmas and New Years, so the skeeters are with us year 'round. Even if we do have cold weather, it usually warms up during the day, and the bugs come out of hiding and take revenge for the cold snap. Down in the swamp, I've had to run my ThermaCELL with a temp below 32 degrees. I guess the dampness in the air in the thick close swamp helps keep the cold from discouraging our state bird.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

headstrong

Postby headstrong » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:37 pm

One of my deer rifles is a CVA .44 mag... and I have had other .44 mags. I use the .44 mag where there is close cover, thick brush etc..not where I expect 300 yard shots. At those renges, the .44 mag is a real thumper !
For the longer shots, I have 1@ of .243 and .308..
I live in NY State where the Allegany mountains begin, so there aren't a great deal of fields that require extremely long ranges.

Return to Guns and Ammo