First picture with scouting camera

dollarbill300

Re: First picture with scouting camera

Postby dollarbill300 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:41 pm

OK, today was a much better day. Went to switch out the sd cards and move the camera. Got pictures of several different deer over several days( will post pictures of a couple of them). The tree to the left of all the deer has what looks like red grapes growing on them, they are all over the ground as well. I also saw slightly larger green things. Not sure what they are. In the tall grass about 30 yards to the right of these pictures, I found circular areas of the grass that was matted down(will post pictures of it). Could that be a sign of deer bedding down there? I now feel more confident about this area. Would like to see a big buck, but I'll take whatever I can. Today, I moved the camera down to the left about 100 yards. The deer were moving that way. Found some more tracks. Looks like most of the activity is coming from this left side of the field. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. I have more pictures of the deer, but don't want to post too many. The biggest deer that showed up, I did not post that pic because it's further away and a little harder to see. When my father saw that pic he said "that's a big body on that one".
Attachments
a7.jpg
a7.jpg (81.49 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
a2.jpg
a2.jpg (81.38 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
a1.jpg
a1.jpg (81.64 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (172.69 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (111.69 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (132.59 KiB) Viewed 1312 times

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:59 am

Well for the Grape things your looking at thats probably Muscadines, try a red one they are sweet, thats why the deer are eating them. On you possible bedding area did you notice any deer poo and more than likely 2 or more trails going to and from it? Looks kind of small and in the open for a bedding area especially with the woods I have seen in the pictures, but you never know with deer. One possibility could be that that is a high point for the area and it overlooks the entire field. If thats the case then the deers allready had you patterened and you wont see him because he already seen you comming. try a different approach. I always have several different ways into the field as they will figure you out like we try to do to them.
As for the topo map try here mytopo dot com and refine your area from that.
Im not seeing much blue or grey light activity on the pictures you may have to go in and get them for the time being. The acorns are already falling this year down here so thats another minus for field shooters they will lay off the corn as much until the first frost when the acorns will sour. Then they will come back to it heavy again.
Overkill? Whats that? dead is dead.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Shadow,

Thanks for all the advice. I really do appreciate it. This is only my second season deer hunting. I am new and trying to learn as much as I can. I did not see any trails around the matted down areas. I didn't see any deer sh*t either. What concerns me is that all the pics of deer have been at night. My father hunts and he told me that could be because it's cooler at night for them to move around. I know the deer are here, but will it be worth it to hunt this spot during the day. I am going sunday to put up my tree stand. Should I stay at the edge of the field, or move deeper into the woods? How do I recognize oak tree's? I went to the website you recommended and took a screen shot of the preview map. This is basically the area I am hunting near the broad river. If this is not good, let me know and I will try to get a different map.
Attachments
woods ferry.jpg
woods ferry.jpg (128.15 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:37 am

It has been my experience that deer do not enter a field till just before dark and after. We had a three acre food plot and very seldom did we see deer in it during daylight. I would look for some trails they are using getting to the field and set stand near one of them.
Doug

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:04 pm

I get pictures of both bucks and does during the daytime, when my food plots aren't washed away, or when there is some fresh corn in front of the cameras. Check the moon phases for the movement times. During a full moon big Bucks will walk in the middle of the day, and on a new moon they'll move more in the mornings. Also, don't go change the cards out so often, you will put too much scent in the area and be seen, which will make the deer become more nocturnal. I normally don't change my cards but about every 3 or 4 weeks. Since I just replanted my food plots this past Thursday, I'll be replacing cards Monday morning, and won't even put any corn out for another couple of days after that. I have two stands that don't have cameras near them, and no corn on one of those (the other one has a good many acorns on the ground), so that's where I'll be sitting 'til my new food plots start to come in.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:17 pm

Like I sais above , with the acorns coming down in the woods is the place to be right now. They are still comimg to our plots and corn but wayyyyy less now, hence the acorns. Fields from my experiance are for well established areas not for public hunting ares like Dollarbill is trying. I highly suggest abandoning the field and go in and peek around the woods right now. Next year after the season ends go in a plunder all you want and get an idea of whats going on. We hunt a piece of property thats been cared for for 19 yrs and its not unusual to see 5-15 deer at any sitting but that takes alot of work. With that being said even we go into the woods this time of the season.
The deer I am seeing in the pics above sure do look awful young , personally I wouldnt shoot them but you do what you have to do. There are more around just go in and get them..

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:33 am

This was yeasterday morning..
Attachments
does.jpg
does.jpg (40.3 KiB) Viewed 1210 times

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:35 am

I didn't go put up the stand today. I'm going to hold off on that for now. I think I will do some more scouting in the woods, find some oak tree's that are producing acorns. I wouldn't shoot anything that young, they were just what showed up on the camera pics.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:34 pm

OK, went today to swap out the sd card. Had only 3 pics. All at night. 1 buck(biggest one I have gotten on camera yet), 1 doe, and 1 coyote. I did go further back into the woods today looking for trails and oak tree's. Did find 2 separate trails not far from where I had the camera for the last week. I also found several tree's producing acorns, but they were green. Also, I could not verify they were white oaks or red oaks. The leaves did not look like the info I read about them online. I'm a little confused about some things I saw today.
1) I found ears of corn, eaten and browned/blackened laying on the ground. What would that be from?
2) I found 6 of what I believe are chestnut tree's. They are located in a part of the open field along with 2 giant oak tree's. What is a deer's first choice, acorns or chestnuts? Would bucks come out of the dense woods to eat chestnuts this time of year?
3) Are the acorns supposed to be green?

I will post pics of the acorns and chestnut tree. Could someone verify the chestnut tree. What's casing the discoloration on the leaves with the acorns? Thanks.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (204.32 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (136.16 KiB) Viewed 1123 times

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:07 pm

It has been said, (and I believe) that a deer will walk 7 miles for acorns from a white oak. That is deer candy. Your's look a bit premature, but around me, they are dropping already.
You can tell what kind of oak you are dealing with by the leaves, and the acorns. i would suggest a library book on identification of mast crops, or nut trees. But acorns are a clear winner for deer.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras