big changes in rules this year

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

big changes in rules this year

Postby Homunculi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:56 pm

looked over he book of rules for this season here in ohio ... and a little ticked off ...

for years it has been 3 either sex tags and 3 antler-less the past 2 years the antler-less have expired the day before shotgun season ..
that did not bother me because i got into archery ...
now they restructured the hunting zones in the state .. and this year we are only allowed 3 either tags and one antler-less ...

i do not know what is going on but i still hear of people complaining that there are too many deer around .. DNR has it's reasons for the change in the rules and bag limits ... i still stand a chance at filling my freezer with the aid of the deer strike hotlines that i am on
but i do like to go out in the woods and hunt my own ...

some of my buddies are claiming that because of the economy that arrests are up for poaching .. that has thinned out the deer population across the state ... i live and hunt is what used to be zone C (6 tags) and some property in a urban deer unit (tags that do not count against you total limit) where i can fill an extra tag or two ...

does anyone know what is going on ? i would like to know i know i have to follow the rules but this sucks!!!! (all the years i could do nothing but shotgun hunt and now i am free of stupid taxes (child support and dumb purchases) my 3rd year of archery....

hell this reminds me of when they raised the drinking limit to 21 a year before i turned 18 .. (bastards)

heh :D sorry for the tirade ...
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

kellory

Re: big changes in rules this year

Postby kellory » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:26 pm

I just came from ODNR on Morse rd in Columbus Ohio. They have stepped up security there as well. gates half closed, (caught my mirror) they take your driver's licence, and issue you a pass.
I asked why I had to jump through the hoops, and the guard told me "Well, they never bombed the Boston marathon before either." I found this ludicrous, as there have always been cameras to catch plates and faces going in or out, if they were serious about security they would have to remove all trees and bushes near the fence line, an I told the Governor's aide when I called. If I meant to do harm, the last place I would enter the property was at the gates, but come over the fence, (most of which is heavily covered up by trees. ) I told him, I was not please with the waste of my tax dollars for something that was clearly useless. I could see NO use possible for the upgrade, except to hassle honest citizens, because it would have NO useful effect.
I went there to pick up this year's rule book, for me and a few fellow hunters I work with. I will be going over the rule changes over the next few days. If I learn anything thing (not aalready covered I will pass it along..
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:58 pm

well if you can find out what is going on ... i would like to know ohio has not had this low of a tag limit in my area for years ....
amd well if i had your cell number in my new phone i would have called to ask you thoughts ...

and as i said on the other post i have room for 2-4 campers on the back 40 ... and a fire pit in the yard ... a few beers and a good chat never hurt anyone :)

the offer is open to those i offered to who want to hunt the public land here ...

SSHHHHH me keeps... the privates lands fer me selfes .... ha ha ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:30 am

I find this a worrisome turn of events. We all talk about it like the ODNR or any wildlife agency has real power, but really the deer are around because we, the teeming masses let them exist. Once we decide the deer are more valuable in our freezers, they will disappear. I have been worried about this. Once folks get hungry enough, there is a ready source of free meat walking around.

Years ago they were trying to get a herd going in Kentucky. They allocated 20 deer per county. In most counties that was enough. However, in some counties, the deer just disappeared into thin air. The officials thought it was feral dogs and put another 20 deer those counties and then another 20. Finally somebody figured out the locals were hunting the deer down and eating them.

I have predicted this several times since 2008: we could see our sport evaporate in the space of a year if the economy stays bad. Eventually there will be a tipping point and the deer will vanish.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:35 am

Alright, straight from ODNR on my lunch break.
The total bag limit is 9 deer, with only one being antlered. My county is franklin, and I hunt in Fairfield. I can take 4 deer here and 4 deer in Fairfield, and 1 somewhere else. (Or any combination of those numbers. I can not exceed the limit for any county. (This is new, as it was by region)
They have done away with the extended gun season and have added in an early muzzleloader season of two days instead. This will overlap and SUPERCEED bow season for those 2 days, meaning even if you are hunting by bow on those 2 days, it will be DOE ONLY! This may trip you up. Be clear NO BUCKS during those two days, no matter how you hunt.
So, as long as you are willing to travel, you can fill that freezer with up to 8does and 1 buck.
Golem, I will call you.;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:50 pm

cannot disagree with you at all shaman... .... but what is more scary is that people today if or when things collapse will not stand for it ... then the thieving rioting will begin ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:07 pm

haha ... d@mn ... even the tags do not have a temp tag it is in the book or you have to print it out !!!!

way to go ohio !!! that is a real money maker there .... ....

pissin me off with all the new game laws and check regs ,,,,

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

MZS

Postby MZS » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:19 am

I have seen deer vanish in my local area in NW WI. A big part of that is due to the fact that the zone right next to us was buck-only (last year) for gun with no antler less tags. So these guys drive to our side of the line with tags for our zone.

I was running last night near dark past a half dozen freshly mowed hay fields. ZERO deer! Used to see 10-20. Nothing against hunting for meat, but when the DNR loses perspective, we all lose. So now I am going to have to hunt in the zone next to us. Pretty silly but that is how it is.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:52 am

Guys, I really feel sorry for you who are unfortunate to live in states with such weird rules and tough limits! DNR here in SC attempted to eliminate our no limit on bucks in the low country, but here in SC the state legislature has to approve all game laws and changes. We hunters, especially those of us who run dogs, along with the outfitters were able to get the legislature to keep the existing laws in place.......much to the chagrin of the upstate and the non-resident hunters who want to make the low country and coastal regions have the same limitations and restrictions that are the law up there. Instead, the legislature has even voted to allow the up state zones to bait, just like we do down here.

We're still fighting an ongoing battle with the out of state hunters to keep our traditional hound hunting and are having to forfeit timber company leases due to the influx of Florida hunters who are willing to pay 100 times what we've always paid for leases, just so they can stop dog hunting as much as possible. When I think about our problems compared to Northern and Central state restrictions on type of equipment, seasons, buck limits, etc., ours don't seem so bad!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:44 pm

rthomas4 wrote:Guys, I really feel sorry for you who are unfortunate to live in states with such weird rules and tough limits! DNR here in SC attempted to eliminate our no limit on bucks in the low country, but here in SC the state legislature has to approve all game laws and changes. We hunters, especially those of us who run dogs, along with the outfitters were able to get the legislature to keep the existing laws in place.......much to the chagrin of the upstate and the non-resident hunters who want to make the low country and coastal regions have the same limitations and restrictions that are the law up there. Instead, the legislature has even voted to allow the up state zones to bait, just like we do down here.

We're still fighting an ongoing battle with the out of state hunters to keep our traditional hound hunting and are having to forfeit timber company leases due to the influx of Florida hunters who are willing to pay 100 times what we've always paid for leases, just so they can stop dog hunting as much as possible. When I think about our problems compared to Northern and Central state restrictions on type of equipment, seasons, buck limits, etc., ours don't seem so bad!!!!!!!!!!!

ohio has been the same way for a very long time the changes over the past 3 years are a little hard to get used too ... esp not having to have a deer checked at a game check station ...
witch has proven in my own small loop that that is a bad idea ( we kicked a guy out for checking a 3 point as a doe) there is good and bad in this new system but the people i talk too say there is nothing but bad .... ... so i am thinking that is why things have changed ... way too much not getting reported properly and the heard is down ... just my thoughts ... but anyway ... it might be true ....

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

Next

Return to General Discussions