My Top 10 Hunting Strategies

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
allthingswhitetail

My Top 10 Hunting Strategies

Postby allthingswhitetail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:49 am

I've read several strategies on this forum and others to aid in a successful hunt. The link below outlines my strategies that will hopefully give me a third straight mature buck this fall. See the photos from the trail camera that capture just before I shot the buck last year and two photos immediately after the shot. Please comment on what you feel is your best strategy for success.

http://allthingswhitetail.com/atw-blog.html

Thanks,

Andy
http://www.allthingswhitetail.com

4khorn

Re: My Top 10 Hunting Strategies

Postby 4khorn » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:42 am

Good post. I have not seen your blog before and look forward to following your efforts. Hope you taste success again this year. Good Luck!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

MZS

Postby MZS » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:32 pm

I go along with your policy of hunting the fringes and evenings only unless you have a safe route in for the pre-rut. It is so easy to wreck your area and not even realize that you wrecked it. Another thing that I do is stay out of the woods if it is dead still no-wind day unless I have a completely silent path in.

allthingswhitetail

Postby allthingswhitetail » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:49 pm

MZS wrote:I go along with your policy of hunting the fringes and evenings only unless you have a safe route in for the pre-rut. It is so easy to wreck your area and not even realize that you wrecked it. Another thing that I do is stay out of the woods if it is dead still no-wind day unless I have a completely silent path in.

I like that last sentence. One of the things I do to ensure a silent path in is completely mulch and rake the leaves leading to each of my stands. That may sound crazy, but I usually do this the last week in October when most of the leaves have fallen. Since I use a mower, it doesn't really spook the deer too much. Most of the trails leading to my stands are not super deep into the woods and do not impact bedding areas. This makes entry deadly silent.

In fact, last year I had a small 2 year old buck walking and grunting in the woods as I was walking in. He kept going back and forth (North and South) with his head down like a beagle hound. I bet he crossed in front of me 5 times at a distance of 40 yards. Each time he would cross, I would start walking and he never knew I was there.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:13 pm

So you only stand hunt? No stillhunt/stalk?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

allthingswhitetail

Postby allthingswhitetail » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:26 pm

Woods Walker wrote:So you only stand hunt? No stillhunt/stalk?

I've tried it on wet days, but never had much luck with it. I can't seem to move slow enough to safely get close to deer for a shot.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:43 pm

You should work at it more...you're missing out on a lot if you really like to hunt. Windy days are also great for this, and I mean WINDY days. The kind of day that treestand hunters don't get out of bed for. The deer are concentrated (they don't like high winds either) and the potential area that you would expect to find deer in has been reduced significantly. Also, the the wind blowing through the woods not only masks your sound, but your movement also.

In fact, the problem I've had on these kinds of days is having TOO MANY deer in a given area!

Once the runt really gets going then stillhunting IMO is THE way to hunt. You're extremely mobile and you can adjust immediately to what the deer are doing. I killed the biggest deer of my life this way.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to General Discussions