Weapon of choice?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
kellory

Re: Weapon of choice?

Postby kellory » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:59 am

I believe there is another thread along the lines of "what do you hunt with?" that list ALL the weapons people use for this purpose. I beleive the question was what is your go-to weapon? Your sure choice. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:39 am

kellory wrote:I believe there is another thread along the lines of "what do you hunt with?" that list ALL the weapons people use for this purpose. I beleive the question was what is your go-to weapon? Your sure choice. ;)

Thanks for explaining that for us, Kellory. My weapon of choice changes depending on where and when I am hunting. I doubt I'm alone in that so the list of multiple weapons makes sense to me.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:51 pm

True enough. I understood the question differently than you did. I may amend my answer later.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:20 am

I do all my hunting in KY, despite being an Ohio resident.

My weapons of choice are all .30 caliber rifles. I am a big fan of the 165 grain Hornady Interlock, and the 150 grain Rem PSPCL. I am particularly fond of my Savage 99 in 308 WIN that I purposely download to .300 Savage levels.

Second choice is a 35 Whelen Remington 7600 shooting 200 gr REM SPCL's.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:02 pm

When hunting from a tree stand, Encore in .308, topped with a Simmons Aetec and with Winchester 150 grain power points.

When hunting with dogs and I'm down in the swamp, Remington 1100 2 3/4" 12 gauge with Winchester XX 00 buckshot.

When varmint hunting, Ruger model 77 in .220 swift, topped with a Konus and with Remington 50 grain psp.

Turkey hunting, Charles Daly 12 gauge pump with Xtra full Comp 'n choke tube and Remington 3" #5 turkey loads.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:34 pm

If I could only pick one weapon to use it'd be my bow. New Breed Archery's Genetix. It's a top flight bow. I love the thing. I shoot it constantly even though season is done and over with. Used to be it would be my High Country Safari but this took it's place. I never thought I'd leave the HCA ranks but I did. Rifle wise depends on where I am going on my club. Some places require my 3030 marlin and others I can take my .270 but if I could pick just one gun it'd be my dads (now mine) 12ga Belgian made Browning, 3" magnum. Its a sweet gun. Shoots almost as well as my mossy 3.5. Besides, it was my dad's gun.

HuntingFool94

Postby HuntingFool94 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:19 pm

I own a 30-06 that is a tack driver out to about 150 yds (my skill limits it), shot 2 bear and several deer all single shot kills. I won a 7mm a couple years ago and raffled it off, I live in IL and shotgun only state so no use for it - a good friend won it and hunts with it in WI - I went on a hog/buffalo hunt with him last weekend - he killed hog at 80yds one shot - he killed buffalo at 90 yds one shot - amazing gun. I took a hog also with a S&W Pro Hunter 44 mag hand gun shooting 240 grain Hornady ammo - 3 shots and a finisher to the head, First high lung, next 2 mid body lung shots - hog stopped after about 100 yds for the finisher.
I agree with the post about the Winchester Supreme Slug ammo - that is first and Hornady second - I once missed a nice 10 pt at 130 yds due to shooting Federal slugs that sank drastically at about 120 yds
"don't stink, don't move, don't make noise"

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Mon May 27, 2013 8:55 am

Well as several have stated they have several Weapons of Choice,here's my list depending on what I'm Hunting!

Archery Deer Hunting:
Mission "Craze" Compound Bow,using a Code Red Rip-cord drop away rest,with a 3-pin lighted sight with a level,using Carbon Arrows and NAP HellRazor fixed 3-blade broad heads!

Rifle/Gun Deer Hunting:

I have several choices of nice accurate Caliber Rifles to hunt with but my 2 favorite Rifles are the following.
Browning A-bolt Hunter .243 bolt-action with the Leupold Rifleman 3x9x40mm matte black scope using Hornady Custom 100 grain bullets!

Savage Model 11/111,GCNS 7mm-08 bolt-action wood stock. With another Leupold Rifleman QDM matte black 3x9x40mm scope using 140 grain Remington Bullets and going to 125 grain bullets after I use the older ones up!

Coyote/Predator Hunting:

CZ USA model 527 "Varmint" .204 with the reliable Leupold Rifleman matte black 3x9x40mm scope using 39 grain Federal loaded Sierra Blitz King bullets!

Savage Axis XP Camo .223 bolt action Rifle with the factory Bushnell 3x9x40mm scope using Hornady 55 grain V-max bullets!

headstrong

Postby headstrong » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:56 pm

having given many of my guns to grandsons ,and given my last deer rifle to a grandson (a Marlin 336 in 30/30), I decided last season was a good time to update my deer/bear battery, so I bought a Ruger American in .308. Excellent rifle..and tagged my buck the first couple minutes of the season. I hunt in the where the Allegany mts start, so I am usually located in woods with shorter ranges..For the deep woods I have a CVA Scout in .44 magnum. Both topped with 4X 32 scopes, good enough for most big game hunting. This summer I bought a Savage Axis in .243 Win... put a 3-9X40 on that one.. I think I am well covered for the task..
With the ranges and usual brush areas here... that Marlin 30/30 was just about ideal...

Hunting Ohio

Postby Hunting Ohio » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Archery=Mathews Creed
Gun=T/c 20 ga
"Cant get the big one if you dont pass the young ones"
Hunt safe and good luck!

Previous

Return to Best Practices