morning hunt questions

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
deerhunter97

morning hunt questions

Postby deerhunter97 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi, where I hunt in South Carolina, the deer always move from 10 PM until 6 AM. the other morning I was out there, and 3 shooter bucks stayed out until around 6 AM. It was getting into legal shooting hours when the turned and left my corn pile. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get them to stay longer or how to hunt them? I was thinking of using a attractant such as swamp donkey etc. Thanks!

croz2173

Re: morning hunt questions

Postby croz2173 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Hey all,

are these actual people that post this garbage or is it just a computer program or something?

deerhunter97

Postby deerhunter97 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:08 pm

well sir, I can assure you that I am a person, and this garbage you are talking about must happen a lot. However, if posting about how to kill nocturnal deer is not a legitimate post, I must have the wrong forum.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:23 pm

He must be one of the so called experts deerhunter. People like that shouldn't be on here. :roll: My experience is that is what they do. Will have to find where he goes when he leaves and still hunt him. 8-) 8-)
Doug

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Well shy of fencing them in, there's no way to make them "stay longer".

My approach would be to figure out where they go after they leave your feed pile and hunt them that way. I would hunt either another ambush site or by stillhunting. Learn where and how they move, when they move, and the best way to use the terrain, cover and wind patterns.

Here in Illinois we cannot legally bait, and most of the deer we hunt utilize the vast and numerous cron and bean fields we have. Most of the time you usually don't see deer in the middle of open fields during daylight hours, so I hunt them just as I described. They haven't vanished, they are still there and not far away either.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:03 am

I see this as a legitimate question, at least up until the Swamp Donkey reference.

This is a good question. How do you hold deer at a bait pile long enough? Adding different stuff to the bait pile is not the answer.

What you have here is a classic problem with baiting. I'm not going to say baiting is right or wrong. However, I do see a problem. Deer often hit bait at night, because it is easy to find. They fill their bellies on whatever you put out and then go ruminate somewhere. You THINK that your trailcam is showing deer and the pile is disappearing that you're almost there. However, what is really happening is that the deer are getting their bellies filled the easy way and then hiding out during the prime hunting hours.

Molasses, sugar, salt, -- anything you can think of to spice things up is not going to do the trick. What it is going to do is foul up the natural rhythm of things and allow the deer to fill up after dark.

Solution? You could try switching to a controlled feeder that dispenses food at pre-determined intervals, usually dawn and dusk. However, now you are incurring more expense and probably not going to do a whole lot better.

My suggestion is to do away with the bait entirely and go find what the deer eat naturally. Find where they bed, and then draw a line between the two. Some where between the bed and the food you will find a place to put your stand and hunt them.

In the future, plant food plots and let nature take its course.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:39 am

deerhunter, I'm also in SC's lowcountry and find that moon phases are especially helpful. I killed a doe on Sept. 19th at 6:20 PM, with plenty of day light left, and then I got an 8 point on the 21st at 7:20 AM, I plant food plots and use the yellow candy as bait. What many folks who are unfamiliar with the coastal plain geography don't understand, is that traditional stalking (still hunting) isn't an option in our thick swampy areas. I get trail cam pics of deer from dark to dawn all of the time and they are on the food plots and the bait, but I also get pictures of them in the same places from dawn to mid day or middle of the day to early afternoon and late afternoon until dark thirty. The one thing I've noticed is the moon phase has a lot to do with the times of those pictures. If you will notice, there was a full moon on the 19th and it was still full on the 21st. Another thing to pay attention to is their bedding areas and whether or not you have maintained a sanctuary where you keep out so as not to disturb the deer. Using trail cameras that also show moon phases are one of the best tools for patterning the herd and picking your best opportunities, along with not checking the cameras every few days. Putting fresh bait out as the moon gets right, will also insure that the deer will show up when you want them. Do not just leave bait out all of the time, and keep your food plots planted with the right crops based on the season. Right now, you should be planting turnips, naked oats and Austrian peas for an optimal fall and winter plot, here in the lowcountry, coastal, and middle sections of the state.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:07 am

What a coincidence, the other day I had to ask what a swamp donkey was (in relationship to deer) and here is a question about a Primos product called swamp donkey.
I've never killed a deer over a bait pile. Seen does, never a buck.
Research shows that this Swamp Donkey product by Primos has a 7 Year Tested and Proven Secret Formulation!!!

I think the original OP should try it and let us know!!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:14 am

I believe the Primo's product is very similar to Big & J's BB squared. It's mainly sweet feed with chicken scratch and some minerals added. I have used the Big & J's both alone and mixed with cob corn. It has a strong scent that seems to help get the deer's attention. I will say I've tried various products over the years; but always without any noticeable results. The Big & J products; however, do show an increased attraction based on my trail cam observations and the rate at which my bait piles are depleted. The deer I killed on the 19th came to the bait at 5:30, and I had put the corn with the BB squared out at 2:00 that afternoon. She was dead at 6:20 after I couldn't stand watching her eat any more!!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

deerhunter97

Postby deerhunter97 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:23 pm

Also, why do I always here of the typical hunters story,"I was in the field and there were 8 does and a few small 8 points, then, the huge 10 came into shooting distance". I don't understand why the only deer I ever see is a doe at 5 AM. I agree with the fact of feeding deer isn't good, but I hunt a lease were they have been giving deer hundreds of pounds of corn for years, and it would be hard to change I think. I hunt in a 300 Acres with a very open piece in the front, then it bottlenecks into the back. Woods are all around the opening. Just picture a culdesack. What can I do to change the deer units so that I enjoy my hunts more by seeing deer?

Next

Return to General Discussions