Untranslatable

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
buckwild

Untranslatable

Postby buckwild » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:35 pm

I just read an article that was talking about foreign words with no English equivalent. I felt that one of the definitions applied to a condition that I've found myself in, and I felt compelled to share. It was the German word "Waldeinsamkeit", which means the feeling of being alone in the woods!
Semper Fidelis!

kellory

Re: Untranslatable

Postby kellory » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:25 am

Just a thought, but if there is no translation to English.....how do you know what it means?;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

sethec

Postby sethec » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:22 am

Did you try using google translate?

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:53 am

Waldeinsamkeit? Yeah, my father used to date one of the daughters, Chlamydia . The family owned a butcher shop over in Cheviot? Yeah! I know who you're talking about. They had a crazy brother that was always getting lost in in Mt Airy Forest-- Woodie. I say what of it! Right?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:43 am

shaman wrote:Waldeinsamkeit? Yeah, my father used to date one of the daughters, Chlamydia . The family owned a butcher shop over in Cheviot? Yeah! I know who you're talking about. They had a crazy brother that was always getting lost in in Mt Airy Forest-- Woodie. I say what of it! Right?

Speaking of translations..............what?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:52 am

Sorry. I just couldn't help myself.

My Dad used to do that. You'd throw a name or a word at him and he'd launch into this long-winded dissertation on it.
1) It always had to do with someone he'd dated
2) The family all had strange first names
3) The family was usually Greek and they owned a string of chili parlors. Here in Cincinnati, the Greeks invented Cincinnati Chili (a local delicacy). So it was common to have families with odd names running chili parlors.
4) As the story progress, he'd weave in details from his vast memory of local politics and the building trades.

Dad died back in 2011, but I've been carrying on the tradition. It's funny, but you can often times get folks interested in the details and they completely forget the original goofy premise. Dad go on like that indefinitely if you gave him the opportunity.

I miss Dad

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:36 pm

shaman wrote:Sorry. I just couldn't help myself.

My Dad used to do that. You'd throw a name or a word at him and he'd launch into this long-winded dissertation on it.
1) It always had to do with someone he'd dated
2) The family all had strange first names
3) The family was usually Greek and they owned a string of chili parlors. Here in Cincinnati, the Greeks invented Cincinnati Chili (a local delicacy). So it was common to have families with odd names running chili parlors.
4) As the story progress, he'd weave in details from his vast memory of local politics and the building trades.

Dad died back in 2011, but I've been carrying on the tradition. It's funny, but you can often times get folks interested in the details and they completely forget the original goofy premise. Dad go on like that indefinitely if you gave him the opportunity.

I miss Dad

Funny you should mention your Dad in that contexts. I just got back from the hospital (near Highland Indiana) where my Dad has been for the last 12 days, in ICU. I nearly lost him twice, but he is slowly recovering, though he will remain on Oxygen for the remainder of his life.
This man taught me nearly everything I know about hunting. We talked for days of hunting, and things we've built, silly stories, and inside jokes, family tales, and guns. I'm told there is a shotgun waiting for me to inherit, I told him it could wait a long time, as I'm in no hurry.
I let him know, that he has been my role model, my entire life. ........I will miss him when he is gone.

he was released from the Hospital Sunday, a few hours after I had to leave. i very nearly missed the check in time for the rental car, but I had such a hard time, leaving him there. Though it was my Mother who never left his side, but for sleep or food, unless another family member was with him. My parents are in their 70's and were highschool sweethearts, and still are.
My Father's Mother is 97, and her Son came very close to dying, yet he is recovering, and on the very day he was allowed to return home, her Brother dropped dead.

It has made me think on Family connections, and Family history, traditions, memories, and hand-Me-Down-Guns.viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9038
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:34 am

. . . so this brother, Woodie? Yeah, that was his name. I think it was really Sam. He worked as a window dresser for Shillitos downtown. Every little once in a while they would find him out running around Mount Airy Forest buck naked. What? You think I'm making this up? You can't make up stuff like this. I'm dating Chlamydia, and one night-- we were at Moonlight Gardens. I'm out with Chlamydia and I tell her I think there's something wrong with her brother. She gets all mad at me and tells me to take her home right now. That's the last thing I ever saw of her. Strange family-- they made good sausage though.

I was thinking about you, Kellory,on the way into work. It is tough road you are on with your father. I do not think the Germans even have a word for it. Maybe waldensamkeit comes close. I lost mine-- coming up on 2 years ago. I used to have a best friend, John. John went through The Bulge, and along with many other things, it made him prone to speaking cruel truths. About 30 years ago he told me " You are not really a man until you have to bury your father." I'm not sure I fully agreed with him-- then or now. However, I'm beginning to understand what he meant.

Return to General Discussions