Opening day of firearms

Robert Rowland

Opening day of firearms

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:56 pm

Opening day had some nasty weather in the morning. I had a small coat of ice on my blaze orange felt hat I had left outside to air-out. It dropped a little more sleet and spit some snow but it was very light. Winds were strong with gusts up to 25 or 30 mph.  I sat in a pop up ground blind in the morning and saw only one doe. I came back to the house at 9:30 and went to a tree stand at 11:30 where I saw nothing until just before dark when an 11 point buck came by. He is now hanging in a tree out back.
I'm guessing he is 2.5, maybe 3.5 years old. 
The Remington Core-Loct did an excellent job as usual, the exit wound looked like he had been hit by an RPG.

Robert Rowland

RE: Opening day of firearms

Postby Robert Rowland » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:49 pm

It was going to get too warm to keep hanging a deer, so I started skinning only to find that my deer was bad. It was full of infection from what I am guessing was a vehicle hit. There were no wounds, just a nasty infection. I did not see any sign of it when field dressing or washing it out but that was in the dark.  The conservation agent took one look at it and called in so that I could get another tag.
I drove to Wal Mart, got a new tag, went home and cleaned up, went to my river bottom stand and sat for 20 or 30 minuets when a nice 9 point came running through chasing two does.  I'll let him hang tonight with bags of ice in the chest cavity and butcher him tomorrow evening.
I'll get some pictures on the Photo thread.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:52 pm

pic-tures!

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:42 pm

I tried several times to post them directly on this site but kept getting an error message. I ended up using Photobucket. They are on the Photo Corner thread.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:18 am

Nice going Robert....sounds like you had a very good Season! [;)]

We had the rain and high winds here also...made for a miserable day of hunting for sure!We had high winds most of the week but it finally slowed down and got colder at night.I ended up shooting a nice Doe the last weekend in our Food Plot!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:39 am

Congratulations.

I'll head over to the photo section to take a look.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Missouri