I was stalked!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
buckwild

I was stalked!

Postby buckwild » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:55 am

I went to the truck last night to do some errands and there was a praying mantis on my truck. A very large praying mantis. I recorded it on the camera phone for about 3 minutes. This bug was creeping up on the camera the entire time. Every time I moved, it followed. I kept moving because it totally looked like it was stalking me. I would get a side view and the glare off the truck would be bad. When we were face-to-face, the glare would be gone and I could see it better in the camera, but the dang thing would totally turn and face me. It looked like it was going to go in for the kill. Check out the last minute or so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoO1itjmbMo
Semper Fidelis!

shaman

Re: I was stalked!

Postby shaman » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:18 pm

After they get that size, be very careful not to get one riled. They'll draw blood in a hurry. I've had one sink those hooks on the forelegs into my forearm and start munching, and it is even worse if you manage to let them latch onto a finger. It is amazing how fast how much they can munch before you can kill them.

Cool video!
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Those have got to be the creepiest bugs out there.
We always end up with a few on the deck every fall. It`s hard to enjoy my long island tea when you tip the glass and one is inches from you on the rail! I wonder if i could get one drunk?
NAH,, stuff costs too much to make.

MZS

Postby MZS » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Watched the video. Then nearly jumped out of my chair!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:15 am

I've been fascinated with praying mates since I was a kid. Always had then as pets...great predators to watch. I actually have one in an aquarium at the moment
Cool video of a really big mantes. They tend to look at you like you owe them money.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:15 am

Here's a trick:

The females are usually green. The males are usually smaller, skinnier and browner. Catch yourself one of each and then put them between the screen and the window. Then put katydids and grasshoppers in there with them and watch the show. Eventually the male and female hook-up. The male climbs up and stays on for up to 3 days. Finally, the female reaches around and takes off the male's head.

Shortly thereafter, the female exudes a sticky mass-- looks like foam insulation that sticks to the screen. She then goes off her feed and dies. Leave the mass on the screen and wait.

In the spring, after it warms up a little, the mass will suddenly erupts and hundreds of little preying manti will suddenly fill up the screen. Open up the screen a crack and let them out.

Wash, rinse repeat.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to General Discussions