Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

4khorn

Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Postby 4khorn » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Getting this started a bit later this year but I can't wait to see how the season unfolds for everyone in 2013. Share the stories of your hunts, both good and bad, share pictures and advice, anything you want to contribute. I'm sure many of us will be interested in hearing about your experiences.

Deebz,

I read your post earlier about the addition to the family! Congrats! My wife and I are due November 5th. I guess I should have picked a better time for that to happen, but it is far worth the price! So I am in a similar boat as far as not really knowing how much hunting I will get to do this year. My wife says that I have her blessing to go so long as I don't over do it, but we will see.

Anyway, best of luck to all you Illinois hunters in 2013! Shoot straight and most of all always put safety first!! Go Get Em!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

Deebz

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Postby Deebz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:51 am

Congrats to you 4khorn! This has definitely been a crazy ride so far. I'm blessed that my wife loves to hunt deer as well, so I'm sure it will be fairly easy to talk her into letting me go out a few times. I also have 3 firearm permits this year, so at least gun season should be a go. I am also almost out of deer meat in the freezer, so that's always a good excuse as well.

Looking forward to hearing about everybody's successes this year!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:32 pm

Anybody going to make it out there on opening day? Its going to be a little warm for my liking so I don't think I would be going even if I could. Work will keep me out of the woods til Friday or Saturday. Calling for it to cool off for the weekend which should be great! I'm pretty excited to see what happens. Good luck to anyone who ventures out there! Let us know how it goes!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:55 am

I'm thinking my first opportunity is going to be Sunday morning. We are baptizing our baby on Saturday, and being a teacher kind of cuts into mid-week hunts...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Off work at 4:30, plan to be in stand by 5.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:23 am

October 1, Opening Day.

I headed out after work, getting in stand about 5pm. It was around 82 degrees with a 15 MPH SSW wind. That morning the property owner had just finished picking corn above a ridge line of trees where I have a south facing stand, so I chose that location for my hunt. There was still standing corn in the bottom behind me, and the farmer was now picking corn about a ½ mile across the field on the other side of a drainage ditch to the south.

With the temperatures I didn’t expect to see anything much before sunset. About 6:15 I saw a deer walking down the drainage ditch at least a ¼ mile away. It had to be walking just about directly in front of one of my other stands, but I had opted not to sit there because the wind was completely wrong.

About 6:25 I had a nice doe and 2 fawns working west to east along the tree line I was sitting in right towards me. I readied myself and watched running through my mind all the possible scenarios about where and how I would attempt a shot if and when she presented it. They were strolling along in my direction eating in the freshly picked corn stocks when suddenly the doe looked behind her then took off running right towards me. With fawns in tow they ran right past me at about 7 yards, never slowing to offer a shot, nor giving any indication that they noticed my existence.

At 6:35 a small fork point buck emerged from the tree line in the direction the doe had looked. I can only assume he was what startled her. He worked his way out into the stalks about 150 yards from me. Within a few minutes another nice doe appeared from the south and worked her way north across the field towards the buck. As she closed he circled out around her and moved her off to the north, away from me, until they disappeared behind the tree line out of my view.

The sun set on day one with no shot opportunities, but more movement that I had anticipated. It was great to be in stand again. It seemed as if the world stood still and all was peaceful. It’s calming, exciting, rejuvenating and cleansing. A successful hunt that only makes me look forward to the next.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:46 pm

I am envious. I haven't been able to get out yet. season opened last weekend.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:52 am

So I won't be hunting this weekend... just got word that one of my favorite uncles had a heart attack and passed away. I will be road tripping to be with family for the services this weekend...

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:51 am

October 3, 2013

I headed to the timber after work and a strong storm front was upon us. The radar looked like the edge of the rain was going to catch my hunting grounds, but the wind was blowing so hard I was struggling to keep my Bronco in my lane of traffic. I decided to hunt anyways but opted to hunt from a blind I have made out of an old wooden grain wagon. I got to blind about 5pm.

I literally had just opened the door to the wagon blind when rain started hitting the roof. I went in, opened the windows, and settled in to watch the storm. A lite rain for about 10 minutes and then the wind kicked up another notch and it down poured. I had to shut the windows it was blowing so hard.

By 5:45 it had tapered off to lite showers that would come and go, and the sun was trying to show its way through the clouds. This was exactly what I was hoping for. I’ve always had great success with post rain movement if you can manage to sit out the rain.

By 6:15 the rain had passed, the sun was pushing through the cloud cover a little and the wind had died. It was calm, and soothing. Unfortunately, I never saw anything. I sat in stand until almost 7pm., and then I went out and hung a game cam I had brought with me to monitor that area, and called it a day. An uneventful day in stand still beats not in stand.

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:28 am

So sorry to hear about your loss Deebz. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Big Horse, thanks for sharing your hunts. It won't be long before you have one on the ground!

As for me, I am getting set to head out for my first hunt of the year. I typically don't do much morning hunting but since they are calling for rain this afternoon I figured if I am going to get out there today then I had better go in the AM. I'll report back later.

Luke

Next

Return to Illinois