First picture with scouting camera

rthomas4

Re: First picture with scouting camera

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:01 am

Set up away from the Chestnut tree, but in a spot where your scent and access won't spook the deer while still providing you with a good shot distance to the nuts. Also, I'd try to have a good open line of site into the field, so you can see any deer that might be approaching the Chestnuts.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:32 am

I put my stand up on sunday. Went about 50 yards back into the woods. My stand is between a pond and the field edge in line with the chestnut tree's. I'm about 100 yards from the water and the chestnuts. My father told me that some people like to hunt the field, but from the other side, near the road. He said people just park their cars and hunt from the road. I moved back off the field to hopefully catch them moving towards the field. I checked my camera to see how many pictures. There were 72 pictures, after only 3 days. I had moved the camera closer to one of the tree's dropping chestnuts that had alot of tracks. Can't wait to see what shows up on those pictures. Good luck to everybody with their season.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:17 am

So, if other people are parking and hunting the field, are you hunting public land? If so, it's a wonder your camera hasn't been stolen, and I'd be wary of hunting any area where people might be shooting in my direction or I might be shooting towards them and a road!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:20 am

rthomas, I do hunt on public land. A WMA(sumter national forest). I have the camera locked down pretty good. The only way someone is stealing it is if they bring bolt cutters with them. The road is not a paved, highly traveled road. It's a dirt road, that goes far into the deep woods. The only people traveling that road are hunters. The field is very big, and I don't think people will be hunting in the area I am at. The few people that might hunt from the dirt road, will only walk in about 100 yards. My father calls them the lazy hunters. I am hunting on the opposite side of the field. Nowhere close to the road. That's why I moved into the woods about 50 yards. My stand puts me 21 feet up in the air. I don't think that will put me in line of sight, and from that angle of shooting, it will not put anyone on the other side of that field in danger. Or anyone near me as well. I am using a shotgun, and I don't plan on trying to shoot something more than 100 yards out from me.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Sounds like you are positioned alright, assuming the wind doesn't waft your scent to the deer, and the deer favor that approach. 21 feet up is more than plenty for most people, though we have a few nosebleed cowboys here that go even higher. 12 feet is usually high enough, and the angle is better for a killing shot. If you only clip one lung, that deer can run a long ways before dying. hit both, he goes down pretty quick.
Have you practiced fro that stand height? Do you have a second position, in case the wind is working against you?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:35 am

Kellory, I feel good about the position because I am close to water and food. From what I saw on my trail camera, deer would be going by my stands from several different directions. Hopefully that continues. I do have some other locations if the wind is not in my favor. I have not shot from the stand yet. I'm sure that will be an experience, but I'll have to learn sometime.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:15 am

Get yourself a block target or deer 3d target, and shoot from that stand. Your aim may be a bit different than from ground level.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:30 am

Take a look at some of the 3D images you can find online to get an idea of what kinds of organs you'll hit from different angles. Keep that in mind when looking to take a shot at a deer from your stand. As you go higher, the closer the deer is the steeper the angle, which makes it harder to get both lungs...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:58 am

db3, are you using buckshot or slugs? Personally, I'd stick with buckshot. At that height, you'll get a better pattern and more effective killing range; but 100 yards ain't gonna happen. If you're using slugs, then you absolutely need to pattern the gun (which you should do anyhow) to see just where the slugs will be hitting the deer at that angle. I just remembered, you said you are hunting on Sumter National Forest, since that's a Federal WMA, you are required to either shoot slugs or use a muzzle loader, and center fire rifles are prohibited. That makes a world of difference as to line of sight from other potential hunters as well as places limits on how far you can shoot, so you shouldn't encounter any of the problems I at first was concerned about.

Good luck, but still take precautions, I've heard some pretty wild tales about some of the idiots that hunt that particular WMA. Watch out for the game thieves...........there used to be problems with guys who would steal other peoples deer up there, and they were a nasty bunch of S.O.B.s!!!!!!!

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:07 am

Thanks for the advice about shooting from that height. I took a look at some info online about where vitals are located. I realize at that height it will be important to get a good shot off. I can't practice from the stand shooting because it is not gun season yet up here. I shoot slugs, I have a smoothbore 12 gauge shotgun. I have been to the shooting range and patterned the gun already. The season opens a week from today. I went up yesterday to get the pictures from the camera. I had it placed pointing directly at one of the tree's dropping chestnuts. I could not get the entire area, just a small piece of it. I had 105 pictures. Several shots had multiple pics of deer in them, 3-4 in a shot. Can only imagine how many were in the entire area. Funny thing about yesterday, I go to my stand, and when I get there I hear what sounds like several soft grunts and some rustling of leaves on the other side of the pond. Then about 2 minutes goes by and I hear 1 loud grunt, them nothing else. Not sure what it was from. It is bow season, and I was thinking it could have been a bow hunter thinking I was a deer and trying to call me over when he heard me walk to my stand. Just strange, I have never heard those sounds before in the woods.

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras