question !!! ???

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Ohio farms

Re: question !!! ???

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Waiting hours to field dress game does nothing for the flavor of the meat and can certainly add to the smell. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that deer smell during the field dressing. Now, if you gut shot it or cut into the digestive system while dressing it, then it will smell like, you know what. As for your original question, I'd let your friend know that while I'd be glad to show him how, the job is his. As somebody said, it's part of hunting.
Rthomas4,
The "field dressing" subject came up a long time ago and it seemed that hunters from the North tend to field dress in the woods and those from the South brought the deer home and dealt with it there. Now, of course that is not always true, but as I remember it went along those lines. I also thought that both groups felt like the other was from Mars and why would they do it that way. Traditions, I guess.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:53 pm

rthomas4 wrote:What is the "field dressing" thing y'all mention? When I kill a deer, I either take it to the house or to the skinning shed down at the dog club. We have troughs, hoists, lights, electricity for the saw, and now the walk-in cooler is working again!!!!!!!! I've never "field dressed" anything in my life.........the joys of hunting private land, especially when the house is within 500 yards or less from all of my stands on my place. Even so, when I was a kid, we always dog hunted and had a skinning area on the club where every deer was taken and skinned, gutted, and cut up. Down here, people don't have a clue about field dressing.

LOL! Well when you have deer that are the size of a German Shepard, hauling them whole over 3 counties isn't that big a deal. Try that in Illinois where deer that are in the 2.5 to 5.5 year range AVERAGE between 250 and 300 pounds and most often die in the bottom of the deepest gully on the farm and you'll learn real quick to separate them from a 1/3 of their live weight! Our yearlings are bigger than your mature deer! ;)
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:18 pm

this =was not ment ot be a battle over wo has bigger deer is what state ,,,,

my buddy cannot smell or see guts ,,, but he is a hunter ,, A HUNTER THE SAME AS ME .....
but he cannot dress a deer out .....

he can ....
shoot
drag
load
cape
and butcher

but cannot gut/dress a deer out ....
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:00 pm

No battle....I'm just yanking rt's chain! I have friends from North Carolina that come up here to Illinois to hunt, and it's certainly not because they don't have deer in NC! They come up here because we have big deer. When they first started hunting here they did the same as rt. Then they shot a few and now "field dressing" is part of their game plan!

200 pounds of dead weight (and that's AFTER field dressing!!!) is a LOT to drag up a 150' bluff!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

First_Gen

Postby First_Gen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 am

The most difficult part, is cutting the manhood from a buck. I cringe. I never had a problem, so it is hard to find a solid recommendation for the OPs friend. I do like the suggestion of covering the nostrils with cotton and some scent.

MZS

Postby MZS » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:53 am

rthomas4 wrote:What is the "field dressing" thing y'all mention? When I kill a deer, I either take it to the house or to the skinning shed down at the dog club. We have troughs, hoists, lights, electricity for the saw, and now the walk-in cooler is working again!!!!!!!! I've never "field dressed" anything in my life.........the joys of hunting private land, especially when the house is within 500 yards or less from all of my stands on my place. Even so, when I was a kid, we always dog hunted and had a skinning area on the club where every deer was taken and skinned, gutted, and cut up. Down here, people don't have a clue about field dressing.

If you are hunting that close, I guess you can gut your deer back home. Otherwise, the quicker you gut a deer, the better - the guts hold a lot of heat so removing them cools the deer that much quicker by directly removing heat and providing a lot more surface area to cool. In warm weather, I don't know if I would even want to eat a deer that sat with guts in tact for a whole day.

For small game, it is not so much an issue. Smaller animals cool fast, guts or no guts. In central WI, we never gutted in the field but waited til we got home when hunting squirrels or rabbits.

With regard to the OP - the friend needs to get past this, or find a different hobby. Nose plugs could help - smells will often induce vomiting. Then, all that is left to get past is the sight - and that is just psychological.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:26 am

Guys, I was being facetious about the field dressing thing. Luckily, down here, we don't have to "cross three counties" or get a deer up "150" foot incline; since we're in flat lands. I would point out that many of the bigger bucks do exceed 150 lbs and many will go over 200 lbs here in SC; but I took the "German Shepherd" comment as a joke and wasn't offended. Hell, I've messed up and killed a few that might have been about the size of a beagle, myself.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Bullcamp82834

Postby Bullcamp82834 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:04 pm

For the smell he can wipe some Vicks vapo-rub under his nostrils. For the sight of guts I have no idea.
Sounds like this dude just needs to suck it up and get used to it or take up some other hobby........like maybe bowling.
I would stand by and give advice on dressing and meat care but I wouldn't do it for him.
That just enables him to expect more of the same.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:18 pm

On a freshly killed non-gutshot deer.........What smell???
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:59 am

there are some ideas .. on here that i will have to get him to try ... on the next one he shoots ...
but i do not think it will help he was holding the leg and when i ran the gut hook up to the sternum

he let go of the leg and went over to the tree to avoid barfing ... no smell at that time .. just sight
there was when he came back ..

so he will have to try some of these ideas
if there is anymore ... let me know
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions