Re: 2013 Reports/Updates

Postby Sailfish » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:24 am

This pic just taken Zone A South of Myakka
Word is the girls are looking for a playmate
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:52 am

Just when we started drying out.............rain.
rain expected all week from a cold fron clashing with our normal summer pressure system

Doesn't matter anyways, I am not seeing anything this year. Very odd. A few does here and there, and a few bucks (but over a course of months). lately .....nothing really
Heard we got hit with EHD pretty good this year, I wonder....we did have a mild winter. Who knows.
Maybe since its been a good and wet year, they aren't having to travel alot to forage...or maybe they have been displaced from their standard bedding areas
Just don't know right now

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:11 am

Got out for an evening hunt in Zone A Saturday.
Driving onto the property I saw 5 doe and a spike.
What a hunt this will be I thought.
Got in my stand. All was quiet.
No raccoons, armadillo, no bobcat, no animals at all! Especially deer.
Heck I was hunting in marshy water and only have one mosquito bother me! Didn't even turn on the thermacell
WHat a wacky hunt

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:06 pm

Your mention of EHD is the first I've heard of this, South of Virginia. You're in the Pan Handle, right? My friend South of Lake City on the Suwanee River hasn't mentioned anything about this in his area. How bad was it? I knew there had been some drought conditions, but not to that point, my friend's area has been hit with heavy rains similar to what we've had here in South Carolina, so evidently the Pan Handle region has had totally different weather patterns since last winter.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:45 pm

The start of my archery season last year is when they had the confirmed cases. Wasn't many at the time (reported/verified).
However, we don't have the large scale freezes like up north folks do, if at all. It wouldn't be to surprising if things were worse in the last 12 mos. I don't know the extent to which the FWC biologist check on this either.
I'm wouldn't be surprised if the EHD is minimal, and its my scouting that needs work 8-)

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:38 am

He's still around. Not much changed on him, other than he's walking the same trails. Downside is....I don't have him regularly doing it.
Other downside is I haven't see anything else with horns.

Saw this lil fella and its mama a couple times.

I can't guess he's more than 30-45 days old +/-, but the interesting thing is I have talked to the biologists and the landowner and within 50 miles of me the rut is said to be anywhere from nov-late dec for the timeframe. But the last couple years I have had these young fawns on camera this late in the year. I know our rut is all over the place, but that would put the peak around....Feb 15th.
I have an area I call the doe zone. There are never any bucks there .....ever........until after January. Then i'll catch them cruising through the 'doe zone' around then. Last year it peaked with activity around Jan 21st. Seems this just might coincide accordingly with Feb breeding.
Even if that was/is a second rut, that would still put the primary breeding it well into January.
Sure wish I had about 30 camera's :mrgreen:

I went and put small plot in yesterday at the doe zone. Its a small clearing in the middle of the woods. Hoping it'll bring a few of the boys around a little earlier. At the very least the does will enjoy it (assuming we get the rain).

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:11 am

I talked with a game manager of one of the local plantations, Saturday evening. He watched a doe give birth to a fawn one day last week and on the same day watched a buck breed a doe on the same plantation. We've come to the conclusion that in this part of SC, once the bucks shed their velvet they go into rut, and evidently does that either didn't get bred, or for some reason lost their fawns evidently go into heat, based on the buck activities. We also have concluded that as long as there is a buck in hard horn, and an unbred doe in the area, the rut will continue well past the established times we've always been told that the rut lasts. The visual evidence supports these conclusions, and this isn't based just on what this particular wildlife manager has seen; but also on personal observations by many of us who are in the woods year 'round up here.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:26 am

I would suspect largely in the central---south regions of our state its the same IE rut all over the place, most likely the whole mild weather thing ...who knows. I will say I haven't seen a fawn in spots during winter (Jan-Mayish if I recall).
THanks for the info btw

GOOD NEWS!!!
ITS pouring rain!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:51 am

Its raining.............acorns.
Coming down good now in my area. Archery opens in 2 Saturdays
My son and I gathered 30 gallons yesterday.
MIght come in useful for some hogs and such at a later date

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:51 pm

64 and half hours til opener.......who's counting right? :D

PreviousNext

Return to Florida