Ninner75

2013 Hunting Report

Postby Ninner75 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:52 am

Anyone have any luck so far?

Gafrage

Re: 2013 Hunting Report

Postby Gafrage » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:02 am

I haven't sat at all yet.

Last year after sitting 35 days before I shot a doe, and 43 before I shot a buck, figured I'd save some $$ this year by not going till after the youth hunt.

So far all my trail camera pictures have proven my choice this year to be worthwhile.

Haven't had any bucks over 2.5 on camera, and the does are coming by the trail mid day when I'm at work anyway.

When I went to pull cards last Sunday though, I saw some smaller bucks sparring in the field (about 6 of them). When I left, in the alfalfa field was a nice 9 pointer (split G2 on the right side) that must have came to the noise, because all the other bucks were cleared from the field.

They're around, but I don't hunt over soybeans or corn, so it doesn't pay to hunt till after the youth hunt and some bucks get kicked around or start showing some dominance and patrolling larger areas.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

MZS

Postby MZS » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:34 am

Northern Zone 2 has something up. I swear numbers are down below 10 per square mile! Yet all kinds of antlerless tags are being sold. In my immediate area there seems to be more bears than deer! Honest. Even tried baiting two locations many miles apart by the Brule river and a bear hit both spots and no deer tracks.

I am seeing some deer in Zone 3.

fullrut

Postby fullrut » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:12 am

MZS wrote:Northern Zone 2 has something up. I swear numbers are down below 10 per square mile! Yet all kinds of antlerless tags are being sold. In my immediate area there seems to be more bears than deer! Honest. Even tried baiting two locations many miles apart by the Brule river and a bear hit both spots and no deer tracks.

I am seeing some deer in Zone 3.

The Bears are becoming a problem everywhere in the state.
Really taking a toll on the spring fawns :evil:

BIG 8

Postby BIG 8 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:57 am

I've been out a few times this year and have seen deer everytime but haven't taken a shot at any yet. Drew back on a doe the last two times out but no shot was presented so had to let them pass. Hopefully tonight I can put something on the ground. This rain has been keeping the deer bedded I'm sure so they're probably getting antsy to move around and it's looking like the rain will hold off long enough for an evening hunt tonight. Temps are good, wind direction is a go, so tonight could be the night. Good luck everyone! We need some more posts on here!
Addicted to hunting!!

MZS

Postby MZS » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:25 am

Just confirmed with a cam last weekend: My property is infested with black bears! I know that deer and bear can coexist, but it is not preferred. Next year, I will get a guy in here that guides hunts to bait and kill off a few - it has ruined hunting in my back 40. Really makes me mad as I spent a lot of time getting some nice plots in - the bears are grazing on them!

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:45 pm

So far so good. We have a youth weekend 8ptr and doe in the freezer and a 144". 9ptr

Population is very high. Anler growth overall poor. We have at least one shooter for the rut. The deer population reminds me of the late 2000's

MZS

Postby MZS » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:53 pm

bullwinkle wrote:So far so good. We have a youth weekend 8ptr and doe in the freezer and a 144". 9ptr

Population is very high. Anler growth overall poor. We have at least one shooter for the rut. The deer population reminds me of the late 2000's

What part of the state are you in?

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:22 pm

62B.

A number of guys are sitting out the season around me do to lack of shooters. Trying to keep their lands quiet and keep their bucks alive. Some are just targeting does since the population increased significantly - which is weird, you think the hard winter would have affected the recruitment as well as antlers?

I have a friend who booked a Buffalo County hunt, the outfitter is sick to his stomach with the lack of shooters they have over there as well

I have 4 years old on my farm with 120" antlers. Do you shoot them because they are old or do you let them live another year and hope for the best?

rosonj07

Postby rosonj07 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Hey Bullwinkle, I also hunt in 62B just outside of Iola. Where are you located in 62B? We have the same issues, plenty of deer but overall antler size very poor. We usually have at least 3-4 deer over 140" but were looking at maybe 1 this year. If it is a 120" four year old, I personally would let him go just to see if he will rebound next year but i know many hunters who would take that deer to get him out of the gene pool. I guess it all depends on what your preferences are.

Next

Return to Wisconsin