First picture with scouting camera

Deebz

Re: First picture with scouting camera

Postby Deebz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:55 am

it very well could have been another hunter.

I one time got to my stand for an afternoon hunt on a windier than normal day. I figured it would be a good time to try some rattling since the sound might carry. I was using a rattle bag and kept hearing something grunting and some doe bleats down the draw from me. Never saw any deer though.

As I walked out that night I ran into the other guy who was hunting. As we talked about our sits, we realized that I was rattling to him and he was calling to me...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Dollar bill, I thought you might bow hunt as well. That was the type of shooting I was talking about. Just remember: the amount of drop(gun or bow) remains the same from ground level as from a stand. Even though the overall distance is more, gravity is a constant. You will have the same drop across the ground horizonally
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Deebz wrote:it very well could have been another hunter.

I one time got to my stand for an afternoon hunt on a windier than normal day. I figured it would be a good time to try some rattling since the sound might carry. I was using a rattle bag and kept hearing something grunting and some doe bleats down the draw from me. Never saw any deer though.

As I walked out that night I ran into the other guy who was hunting. As we talked about our sits, we realized that I was rattling to him and he was calling to me...
Deebz, that's funny. Seen it happen before, though. You ain't the first, and you wouldn't be the last.;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:12 am

Kellory, only gun hunting for right now. I do eventually want to learn to use a bow, but I want to get more experience as a hunter first.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:28 am

Now that Deer Season is getting closer and Cooler Weather is upon us have You checked the field edges for any ground scrapes?Look for an over hanging branch about 3-5 feet off the ground and see if the ground has been cleaned/scratched off down to bare earth....this would be a good spot to hang a camera by to see what Bucks and Does are leaving their scent!

Have You ever caught any other Hunters on Your trail camera checking out the same area?You may be in for a surprise closer to Hunting Season at all the Hunters in the same area,most Guys I know that hunt Public Land a lot go in pretty far off the beaten path to stay away from the Lazy Hunters and to shoot Bigger Bucks,time will tell and I hope all Your hard work pays off and You get a nice Buck or a big Ol Fat Mature Doe!

I noticed Your using a Moultrie Trail Camera....what Model is it?I have several older and newer Models and each year they improve on the Auality and have better features and faster trigger speed!

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:43 pm

GTO, I am going down there tomorrow to get the pics from the camera. My dad wanted me to put it at his stand to see what shows up, so I placed it at his stand last thursday. While I am there I will look for any scrapes around the field edges.

I have not seen any other hunters on my trail camera. Not sure if that is a good sign or a bad sign. I was going to go further back into the woods, but when I found these chestnut tree's, I decided to stay within close range of the field edge. If this approach does not work out well, I will move the stand. I think I have a pretty good spot, between a water and food source.

My camera is the moultrie lx-30IR. I got it on sale at my local sporting goods store for $59.00. It works fine for me and if it get's stolen, at least I'm not out 100 bucks or more. I hope I get a big one also. Good luck with your season.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:03 am

db, all of the Federal WMAs and Federal lands are closed due to the shutdown. You might want to be very careful going in to Sumter National Forest at this time.........and also you might want to seek out an alternative place to hunt. Hell, Obama has even ordered that Florida Bay which encompasses 1100 miles of ocean is now off limits to fishing and boating. I even read he might order a shut down of the Interstate Highway System as part of his childish and petty attitude that has forced these shutdowns.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Seem this thread has been busy in my absense. GOOD glad to see you guys helping out. Looks like good advise too. I remember when I first started hunting a old man took me out one day and had a jar of peanut butter with him. I didnt ask but soon found out that deer also love the stuff. DB you may want to try that too if you want to draw them to you. Just take the lid off and run a screw through the lid and put the jar back in the lid. Now cut the bottom off the jar and set up a camera and watch the fun. Ive used this tactic many times and can only think of once that it didnt work. Oh, and if you shoot a deer and it smeels like peanut butter guess what? You will also get a good laugh at some of the pics you get.
I know your still new to this but one thing I will say is that you need to ignor all the hype about all the wonder feeds and treats. Plain ole corn, apples, peanut butter, acorns and chestnuts are about the best you can get.
If your going out and scrape hunting be VERY careful right about now. In a few weeks rut will be in full swing and the less you stink the woods up the better you are. Does will check the scrapes too so if you run the does out the bucks will leave too.
Overkill? Whats that? dead is dead.

dollarbill300

Postby dollarbill300 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:23 pm

rthomas, thanks for posting that. That didn't even cross my mind until today. This morning I went down to the hunting spot with my father. He wanted me to get the pictures from my camera that I placed in his hunting area. So, we are both out there, I take down the camera, then I walk over to my stand to hang something on it. I look around. My father starts clearing out some areas. Then we get in the car and go a few minutes down the road to the rifle range. Leeds rifle range was closed. A sign on the gate says "this range is closed because of our government being shut down". Then on the other side of the gate is another official letter from the forestry division about only who can be on federal lands, and for what reason. I realized these were federal lands. So, when I get home I read your post. I call scdnr and ask the lady on the phone if sumter national forest is closed because of the shutdown. She looks it up and says yes it is! She tells me that game wardens should be going around to put up blockades. There was none at sumter today. I hope the lady at scdnr had accurate info. I don't know what to do now. Either wait this thing out or try and find someplace else. My stand is already up.

Shadow, do you mean to take a jar of peanut butter, take off the lid, put a screw through it, place it back on the jar. Then cut off the bottom of the jar, and hang it from a tree by the screw? Isn't the peanut butter going to fall out of it? I had someone tell me once to get a bag of corn and mix it with peanut butter and put it on the ground.

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:35 pm

DB Yes you will lose a little but not as much as you think, bsides it wont go to waste they will get it. Just do it like I said and it will work, One thing I havent figured out is do they prefer crunchy or smooth, I keep forgetting to ask them, they always seem to not be breathing when I get to them. That sounds like too much work to do all that mixing, it should work though but I guess Im lazy anymore to sit there and mix it all together, besides I would probably get hungry and try it myself which honestly on some things Ive put out in the woods I have tasted out of curosity.
One thing I forgot to mention is that there are places around that you can got hunt for a day for a fee. Alot of clubs will do this after the rut for a reasonable price. We have one place here in Orangeburg county that will charge 175.00 for a full day hunt and half the next day. Processing included. I have used them in the past whwen the land we hunt was logged and was very impressed.
Overkill? Whats that? dead is dead.

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras