Hickory nuts

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
wisbowhntr

Hickory nuts

Postby wisbowhntr » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:28 pm

Ok guys I know that deer eat acorns and some other type of nuts my question is do they or will they eat hickory nuts? There is a spot of public land I hunt and the ground is loaded with these nuts.If they do eat hickory nuts think this would be a good spot to hunt?

Thanks,
wisbowhntr

Retranger

Re: Hickory nuts

Postby Retranger » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:01 pm

Don't have hickory in my neck of the woods but they do eat all kinds of nuts, I suspect you are barking up the right tree!!
Doug

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:33 am

I know deer eat hickory nuts, but I'm not sure if they are high on their list. I've got hickory trees all over my place, and the hickory seems to be eaten by squirrels and not much else. My guess is that the deer prefer acorns.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:46 am

Hickory is pretty rare around here, too. I don't think I've ever seen a hickory nut, if I did, I don't remember it.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:43 pm

they will eat Hickory nuts, but only after tastier things like acorns and corn are gone. Think of it like Granola, yeah....it is food, but there are a whole lot of things I would prefer to eat. Good draws include things like acorns (white oak, then red) corn, apples, nearly anything sweet like honey suckle, grapes, oranges, salt, clover, and if they are hungry enough, they will eat the bark off the trees! Hickory nuts might be a good late season draw, when most everything else is gone. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to General Discussions