morning hunt today

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

morning hunt today

Postby Homunculi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:37 pm

woke up this morning .. got my coffee and breakfast out of the way .. get dressed ... load up the crossbow . decided to go to the ground blind this morning .. (being on the lazy side) get set up .. bow loaded .. just as first light was starting i hear a buzzing noise .. look down at my phone .. my buddy that is gut shy about field dressing is calling .. with news he shot his 3rd deer of the season ... and as soon as he can find it he will need help .. i just got set up !!! he had yet to track it so i stayed put ..
waiting for my phone to ring for the recovery mission all was quiet but a few birds and chipmunks running on the ground ... thinking i was going to have to go help recover one .. and lose out on my morning hunt .. sipped on my coffee watching dove and chipmunks ..
the daylight getting brighter .. look at my phone and it was passed 8am .. thinking i might as well pack up i will be leaving when i get a phone call anyway ..i stayed put, went to grab my coffee when a real young deer (looked like it just lost it spots) came up on the right .. and a mid sized (will say doe) came out of the tree line right in front of me .. as i got my bow up and focused in the the boiler room .. to my right i hear a blow ....
and a second blow as i was squeezing the trigger the deer turned head on as the shot was fired ....

a quick run .. the deer did not make it to my 40 yard marker and fell over... :) look down at my phone to see if my buddy had called .. no missed calls look up and see 2 deer standing next to the deer i just shot ... take a sip of coffee the larger one blows again .. they stood there looking around .. then took off running .. by this time it had been 5 min since the shot and no movement from the deer ..
so i get out .. and start walking that way looking for my bolt and broadhead.... (when i found it all the vanes were stripped off) of to the right were 4 deer standing not 30 yards away looking at me ... i froze in my tracks a 2-3 min stare down .. and the large doe started blowing again and they all took off .. walking over to the deer i shot i see some velvet pedicels on the top of the head .. a button buck!!!! :) .. and the first deer of the season down .. (yay!! me)
grab the rope a short easy drag ... start up the truck load up my bow ... and off to the shed with bags of ice ...

just looked at the time ... 2:30 and still have not heard from my buddy .. and trying to call to see if he recovered his deer .. stuck at work for the rest of the day now ... hope he found it ...
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

Homunculi

Re: morning hunt today

Postby Homunculi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:50 pm

the photo did not attach did this time i hope
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (40.49 KiB) Viewed 561 times

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:05 am

Good Hunt! If you've ever done a European mount, think about doing one with your button buck. My wife's first kill was a b.b., and I did a euro mount with it. It looks pretty sweet.
Attachments
button buck resized.jpg
button buck resized.jpg (103.4 KiB) Viewed 518 times
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:21 am

Congrats on getting some tender backstraps!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:57 pm

tried to call my buddy last night ... no luck on finding the deer .. he searched 10 hours yesterday .. and 3 hours this morning ..
even deep into the neighboring farm (with permission of course) ...

row by row of the corn ... surrounding woods ...

i know it happens at times but i hate to see it happen .. what can appear to be a well place shot can be the exact opposite ..
depending on wind .. an unseen twig .. a tug on the release or gripping the bow as you take the shot ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

Return to General Discussions